• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 26-27th Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

I think you might be in for a bit of a surprise...

I was at 36.2/28 when the snow started about 20 minutes ago. Now it's 33.8/30 with moderate snow - no rain or sleet yet - and a heavy coating.

I'm at 35.9/ 31 so I don't have much room to move in terms of evaporational cooling. Western RI almost always does better in these setups as you are further west of where the coastal front sets up. I'm nearly always just on the wrong side of the front. Narragansett Bay is usually the dividing line in RI and follows NNE somewhere between I-95 and Rt 24 into Mass. Easterly wind component is strong this evening and water temps are still relatively warm. The marine air is going to make a significant push inland overnight while upper air wams from the SW.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning little or no accumulation last time I looked less than half inch. But when those dp's started nose diving on ne winds it was pretty clear we would snow, cold dry air draining down the housatonic river valley.

I have just shy of 2.5" with a current mix of sleet/snow. I always thought we'd get a front-end dump, forecasted 2-4" a couple days ago and stuck with it. I may bust for Boston, but going with the colder idea was definitely right for this storm. 850 0C isotherm is still down in Central NJ, much as the Euro forecast. NAM and GFS busted horribly!

I am also watching that area of heavy banding SE of LI. If that can get here soon enough before the mid-levels torch, we could go back to snow. It's 31.9F in downtown Dobbs Ferry, and I am probably one degree colder..

I have just shy of 2.5" with a current mix of sleet/snow. I always thought we'd get a front-end dump, forecasted 2-4" a couple days ago and stuck with it. I may bust for Boston, but going with the colder idea was definitely right for this storm. 850 0C isotherm is still down in Central NJ, much as the Euro forecast. NAM and GFS busted horribly!

I am also watching that area of heavy banding SE of LI. If that can get here soon enough before the mid-levels torch, we could go back to snow. It's 31.9F in downtown Dobbs Ferry, and I am probably one degree colder..

Our 2-4" discussion worked out well!

Archived