joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 26-27th Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's exactly why I said SW CT might have a surprise. NE winds still advecting dry air, although temps aloft are rising.

Writing was on the wall this morning. We should flip to rain in the next 90 minutes here then look forward to the snowstorm this weekend. WInds are howling, nobody is talking about the coastal flooding in western long island sound but its going to be pretty bad many communities are exposed with walls and dunes gone.

Back to the snow, have fun tracking guys.

I-95 Corridor from Providence to Boston is cooked as usual before it even begins. I'll probably get my obligatory 15 minutes of sleet before changing over to a driving rain for the next 12 hours. Dry slot moving up the Chesapeake looks like it means business so hopefully I'll be in the dry slot for the a.m commute.

Good luck north and west, should be an interesting storm with a fair amount of sleet mixed in. Saving hope for the coastal this weekend to make up for us lowlanders who are missing out on this one.

Most of the CT coast is doing ok...32/31 here with accumulation...gotta go out and check..but it was literally like a 040 wind, as opposed to the 090-120 I expected at the coast here.

When we saw those NE winds today, it looked like the classic quick thump there thanks to low levels complying.

SN/IP mix here in NNJ with around 2-3" down.

I posted this in the analysis thread but thought it might help set expectations for modeled change over time...

I think the 18z GFS temperature profiles have been pretty decent and going by 800 mb (warmest layer imo) it has 0C up to around

- New Haven at 03Z

- MA/CT border at 06Z

- MA Pike or just north at around 09Z

- MA/NH border at 12Z

from there it just pushes barely into SNH and S VT and doesn't go any further north than that.

I think this will probably be a decent expectation for when folks begin to ping and/or change over completely to pingers. (if these are delayed I think it'll be reflective of the somewhat colder foreign models)

http://www.instantwe...=800mb&hour=006

I-95 Corridor from Providence to Boston is cooked as usual before it even begins. I'll probably get my obligatory 15 minutes of sleet before changing over to a driving rain for the next 12 hours. Dry slot moving up the Chesapeake looks like it means business so hopefully I'll be in the dry slot for the a.m commute.

Good luck north and west, should be an interesting storm with a fair amount of sleet mixed in. Saving hope for the coastal this weekend to make up for us lowlanders who are missing out on this one.

I think you might be in for a bit of a surprise...

I was at 36.2/28 when the snow started about 20 minutes ago. Now it's 33.8/30 with moderate snow - no rain or sleet yet - and a heavy coating.

Archived