Newest Member
    Toothache
Worst DC Winter Bust

Deck Pic

Bust  

62 members have voted

1. 1. which was the worst

• Feb 1989, Forecast potential Hecs, misses us, crushes ORF
    • April 9, 1996 - WSW I think...Forecast for plummeting temps and heavy snow, rain/miss
    • March 2001, HECS forecast....whiff
    • January 16, 2003 - WSW for 6+"... dusting, back edged
    • January 22, 2005...Heavy snow Warning...predictions of 8-14"...miller B...ust
    • Boxing Day 2010...hurts to type...NWS inexplicably issues 6-10" WSW when we all knew it was over
    • New Years - 2012-13...WSW issues for 8-14"...Fauqier county closes for the week...Jay Hatem Weather gets 100 new likes...Wes gets on board and compares to DC composite for big storms....RAIN
    • Dec 30, 2000...total miss for PHL south

it would have been a nice storm if expectations were lower...huge +SN in the afternoon...

still got 4-5? that front end thump was pretty nice if i remember correctly. my forecast was for 2-3' and I got like 11". meh.

still got 4-5? that front end thump was pretty nice if i remember correctly. my forecast was for 2-3' and I got like 11". meh.

the late phase screwed everyone except eastern sne... the systems stayed separate too long and the dry slot was able to make a big punch N

the late phase screwed everyone except eastern sne... the systems stayed separate too long and the dry slot was able to make a big punch N

that was a big winter for them overall wasnt it? i've wanted to be on the cape for a blizzard since then..

3.25" in MTP...still the 1/8mi Viz was nice...the back edge approached rapidly

millerfail.jpg

yeah i sorta remember the desperation posts looking for more development etc. that's still a decent event tho if the expectations were lower.. maybe not the top bust.

lol, 2012-2013 hasn't occurred yet so I'll not vote for it. I'm torn between the Boxer day storm or the March 2001 storm. I think in some ways both were similar as we needed the storm to bomb out right as it got to us. I'd probably go with the March 2001 event as it the skies cleared that night while we were under a warning if I remember correctly.

Feb '89 was the one big bust that this area shares in common with the list above for DC. I remember forecasts of 1-2 feet the night before. The Cape ended up getting 20 inches while we got 4" of baking powder at about 15F. 10-15 miles west got nothing.

The story was similar down I-95...huge totals being forecast and then a whiff SE.

I don't remember what warnings or advisories were issued for April 1996 but at least it snowed all day. I remember since I was getting married four days later outside in Leesburg and needless to say we were a bit worried about what temps would be like. I don't think it stuck anywhere until you got out to Dulles. But it came down pretty good. Not bad for April after historic winter.

Archived