• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 27/28 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

BTV on-board... like the OP ECM track although it is entertainment. Toss the GFS as always? ;)

WEDNESDAY

NIGHT...ECMWF AND GFS MODELS DEVELOP A LOW PRESSURE AREA ALONG THE

MID ATLANTIC COAST AND THEN MOVE IT SLOWLY NORTHWARD. HAVE GONE

WITH CHANCE POPS FOR SNOW WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY. ECMWF

MODEL IS SLOWER AND FURTHER WEST WITH THE TRACK OF THE LOW ON

THURSDAY...KEEPING IT CLOSER TO THE COAST... WHILE THE GFS MODEL

TAKES THE LOW SOUTH OF NEW ENGLAND AND MOVES IT NORTHEAST TO EAST

OF CAPE COD BY EARLY THURSDAY NIGHT. ECMWF MODEL HAS THIS LOW NEAR

BOSTON EARLY THURSDAY NIGHT. ECMWF ALSO HAS HEAVIER PRECIPITATION

WITH THIS LOW ACROSS THE REGION ON THURSDAY THAN THE GFS MODEL.

LOOKS COLD ENOUGH TO BE MAINLY SNOW ON THURSDAY...BUT THE ECMWF

HINTS AT SOME WARM AIR ALOFT OVER SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT THURSDAY

AFTERNOON...WHICH WOULD LEAD TO SOME MIXED PRECIPITATION POSSIBLE.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd have to think the GFS is slightly s & e, it's usual bias. I expect it come west a bit towards the Euro. This has the feel of a coastal hugger that probably gives a changeover to the coastal sections but still some snow on the front end.

I think in about 2 or 3 weeks we will look back at this as part of a slow but steady stepping down process that will have covered all of us with a decent snowpack.

You'd have to think the GFS is slightly s & e, it's usual bias. I expect it come west a bit towards the Euro. This has the feel of a coastal hugger that probably gives a changeover to the coastal sections but still some snow on the front end.

I think in about 2 or 3 weeks we will look back at this as part of a slow but steady stepping down process that will have covered all of us with a decent snowpack.

Euro changes just about all of us over.

Yes but does it not seem to be in the process of shifting east? I was meaning to suggest that the solution ends up between the where the two models are right now. Even with a changeover wouldn't you get a decent amount of snow?

Yes its shifting east...yes I'd get plenty of snow even on the OP Euro.

The trend is real...but its questionable how much it matters yet. An event 6 days out is an eternity. For reference, at this lead time, the Nov 27 scraper for SNE looked like a NNE storm, the Dec 16-18 systems looked like a lot of snow for New England with minimal taint, and today's storm looked like a major snowstorm for NE. A lot can change...but I'd start feeling decent about it in another 24-36 hours we see this finding a good consensus on the models that is still a very wintry appeal.

Yes its shifting east...yes I'd get plenty of snow even on the OP Euro.

The trend is real...but its questionable how much it matters yet. An event 6 days out is an eternity. For reference, at this lead time, the Nov 27 scraper for SNE looked like a NNE storm, the Dec 16-18 systems looked like a lot of snow for New England with minimal taint, and today's storm looked like a major snowstorm for NE. A lot can change...but I'd start feeling decent about it in another 24-36 hours we see this finding a good consensus on the models that is still a very wintry appeal.

Of course you are right, but this pattern is different and climo suggests we get snow, and the teleconnections are shifting in the right direction. Also this has been pretty steady for a number of runs with the GFS and others showing coast redevelopment and the Euro taking big steps east. Of course it could all go down that hoppah but I think that is becoming less likely.

As is often the case when this happens I don't like that the NOGAPS is relatively far west with the event, the 00Z run was ORF-BID or so, the 06Z run over or west of NYC. It is still 5-6 days away but I never like seeing the NOGAPS near other models when they are west or amped, even 5 days out.

what that means to me is that the ultimate track won't be near the consensus we have today....Ie it's going into western ny or out towards the bm

I doubt this one cuts that far west....

I would agree its probably not going west of the Apps and logic tells us not over the Apps either, something close to or over NYC though very possible. The problem even with the 00Z Euro/06Z GFS tracks is that they probably are almost entirely rain except for interior MA/CT because the angle the system approaches from is too SW'ly which results in a SE flow ahead of the storm, if that same track occurs approaching more from the S you can see a big front end snow.

I would agree its probably not going west of the Apps and logic tells us not over the Apps either, something close to or over NYC though very possible. The problem even with the 00Z Euro/06Z GFS tracks is that they probably are almost entirely rain except for interior MA/CT because the angle the system approaches from is too SW'ly which results in a SE flow ahead of the storm, if that same track occurs approaching more from the S you can see a big front end snow.

Absolutely what I was thinking.

Depends on locale. The fact the Euro has trended from Chicago to off shore in 2 days should be very telling . It's not a cutter and most will see snow/ ice. Big cities might be the battleground

That EURO track is ugly...make no mistake about it.

Heavy, heavy taint.

Worse for me than it is you, but you would rain in that scenario.

That EURO track is ugly...make no mistake about it.

Heavy, heavy taint.

Worse for me than it is you, but you would rain in that scenario.

yeah it turns over to rain for everybody in SNE...but it has a good front end dump before that. I'd be concerned about sleet too with a track like that. Allusions of the Valentine's Day Massacre.

Archived