Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
December 26th - 27th Winter Storm

Powerball

post-525-0-36903600-1356246474_thumb.png

When taking a quick look at the 0z GEFS and 12z ECM Ensembles…the two ensemble means are very similar in several regards, which I guess is good in the day 2-3 timeframe.

Both ensembles are very close in placement and strength of our shortwave ejecting into the Plains 12z Tuesday…and both suites are in good agreement in the placement/strength of the block over Canada and upper low pegged south of the block north of the Great Lakes…with the GFS ensembles a bit stronger with the upper low pegged south of the block.

The ECM suite is just a tad stronger with the Christmas Eve shortwave as it pulls out, however, the differences caused by that appear to be cosmetic. Very similar placement of the next incoming shortwave as well into the northwestern US.

So, from a synoptic stand point, the two suites are very close as our wave ejects from the west. A few things that stand out:

-Both suites show confluence from the eastern Lakes towards New England, and have an upper low centered north of the western Lakes/eastern Plains. These features argue for the storm having trouble making it north of the Ohio River.

-The depth of the trough argues for an early phase west of the Apps.

post-525-0-43777700-1356246531_thumb.png

Note how the polar jet and subtropical jet begin interacting as the system is still developing over the Deep South on the 0z Euro above. This argues for a stronger/moister solution. The GFS also shows this early interaction between the two streams.

However, thanks to the upper low pegged to the north of the Great Lakes/Rex block, the trough doesn’t take on a negative tilt until it gets east of the Mississippi, which suggests a more abrupt turn to the north-northeast won’t occur until the low is well east of the river:

post-525-0-99596000-1356246569_thumb.gif

So right now, I’m thinking we see a strong and moisture laden system begin heading ENE out of Texas Tuesday before turning more NE Tuesday night as it moves east of the Mississippi River into Tennessee, before tracking towards either far SE OH or WV.

From here, unless the system is a full phase and is vertically stacked, it will probably transfer to the east coast. If the system is fully phased and stacked it may stay in one piece as the 500mb trough continues moving NE towards NY/New England.

A potential caveat here is that if the system does fully phase as opposed to a more partial phase, it may hook more NNE it track towards central Ohio. This is a scenario that is still on the table although the general consensus appears to be for more of a partial phase.

This is looking like a eastern MO/northwestern KY/ southern IL/ southern IN/OH special with far southern Ohio likely getting screwed. The CMH crew should do ok, but they need to watch for a full phase and a more pronounced NNE hook and WTOD. Northern IN and SE MI look to be on the northern fringe along with much of southwestern Ontario, although again these areas may still be in the game if a more complete phase can occur.

The shortwave should be fully sampled for the 0z Monday runs and I think we can hopefully expect to start nailing things down a bit more starting with those model runs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree with this completely, as hm8 quoted me earlier I think there are some convective feedback issues going on with respect to the low track. Not too surprising considering the prospects of severe weather down South that the model would have some convective issues.

I haven't seen this mentioned much yet but I would think with the wave being so close to the Gulf that we could be primed for a situation where latent heat release plays a big role, thus potentially leading to a somewhat stronger/farther northwest track? I realize that probably comes off as wishcasting but what do you think? :P

No it does not. Look closely at the temp profiles, it's above freezing for .9" of that liquid

I am looking at 2mT ( have close up region views ) and the 32 line never gets north of I70 from Wheeling WV on west.. 850s as well stay below 0.. 32 line briefly sneaks up to Wheeling but that is it.

I haven't seen this mentioned much yet but I would think with the wave being so close to the Gulf that we could be primed for a situation where latent heat release plays a big role, thus potentially leading to a somewhat stronger/farther northwest track? I realize that probably comes off as wishcasting but what do you think? :P

Nah it isn't wishcasting, that is a possible outcome.

Yes.. The rains are a very good thing and thus much needed. I hate droughts more then anything.

But yeah this is why i always tell people up this way to watch what they wish for when it concerns blocking. Blocking is never a good thing for snow lovers especially here where i am unless you get a 1,000yr event like Jan 78. lol

What a flip... 0.35" of precip in November and this month almost 4" the first 20 days. Can't ask for more than that it just didn't quite work out unless you were 20 miles west.

And yeah I can't stand drought or too much blocking.. drives me nuts because that's all that's mentioned forum wide leading up to winter. -nao/-ao/etc/etc.

Give me 4" of rain every December before a cold and weenie blocked snow pattern.

sorry about OT. Done.

I'd agree....tomorrow night's 00z will have this firmly in the euro 72 hr window, if it hold at that point, it's probably over....until then still likely it shifts in track or strength or both.

There is so much up for grabs still with this.

There are to many big players with this one that keep pulling on each other. attm it's pretty clear the SLP track will start in Louisiana and could end up in Southern Indiana/South Eastern to West Virginia, maybe even Viriginia to a coastal.

And we are 75 hours from the storm leaving Louisiana.

Of Course when a storm comes that can cure the ill's of the "Southerners" it's this kind of wishy washy crap three days out.

Possibly...it could make the turn to the NE for that reason enough to catch the northern piece of energy and, if it did that, it would probably deepen very quickly and eject NNE from that point. That would likely lead to jackpot totals along the deformation zone. I'd just say it's pretty unlikely it all works out that way.

It can snow and be 32.5F

Yes but that's only when the air isn't very moist. Since snow cools more by evaporation than heats from its surroundings it won't melt till the temperature is 34F. Then you start getting into sleet and rain. Thing is though this is going to be a moist system coming out of the gulf, therefore if this solution verified you wouldn't get a whole lot of snow above freezing

There is so much up for grabs still with this.

There are to many big players with this one that keep pulling on each other. attm it's pretty clear the SLP track will start in Louisiana and could end up in Southern Indiana/South Eastern to West Virginia, maybe even Viriginia to a coastal.

And we are 75 hours from the storm leaving Louisiana.

Of Course when a storm comes that can cure the ill's of the "Southerners" it's this kind of wishy washy crap three days out.

but isn't it also true we say a lot of these same things with every storm....too many players on the field, energy still needs to come ashore, convective feedback issues, etc etc.... i guess that's what makes this addictive... and in the end there are rarely any HUGE surprises, it usually turns out, give or take 50 miles and a few inches, pretty close to what was modeled. (3 or 4 days out)

A stronger low is definitely in play - I was actually surprised the 00z EURO wasn't a tad stronger. Tomorrow night's run should be key. I'm still favoring the heaviest snow running from Southwest Indiana through South Central Indiana and into Eastern Indiana/Western and Central Ohio.

Read my mind Hoosier, and its now wishcasting. I've come to expect the NW trend. Atleast this time it doesnt look like it can hurt us. I like Kokomo's call earlier. Im sticking with it.

but in this case it would have to be a nw RE-trend

those are much more rare. :P Actually If it does trend NW it will be because of a stronger surface low which will fck me pretty good :axe:

Archived