e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 26th - 27th Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a similar track to the GFS but is colder and nails west and north OH. Not sure why the GFS stays a little to warm for snow here when its sitting on the OH/WV border at hour 90.

a track to central or eastern KY should...in theory...nail 80% of ohio with mostly frozen. I thought the gfs looked warm too, even though it was closer to the ohio river. WTOD is usually an issue when the low crosses north of the ohio river.... but then again it's all noise at this point, until the mighty euro speaks.

True but its still better than anything we've gotten since -_-

Have you seen the latest 0z GGEM yet? Not bad, similar to the 0z GFS, but its an improvement from the 12z

Just saw it via kab's link. We're fringed a bit due to its quicker coastal transfer, but still a decent shot of snow. And it's a massive improvement over the last several GGEM runs.

congrats! I confess this damn storm has been the first for me since winter 2010.... although it'll be my third night on this particular storm. assuming i don't dose off.

god we're idiots

Yup. I've been on my feet working for almost 10 hours and ever fiber in my body wants to sleep. But instead, I'm going to stay up to see if it's going to snow in 4 days. Textbook definition of idiocy.

And thinking back on it, I'm in the same boat. Don't think I stayed up once last winter for the EURO. Simply and absolutely nothing to track that entire winter. 2011-12 was the king of crud.

The one good thing for those further nw needing a nw trend is the models tending to over do the blocking the past month or so.

We need...

1. That initial wave to be just strong/fast enough to shove some of that confluence in Canada northeast, yet not too strong/fast to where it shoves the baroclinic zone too far south.

2. That system entering the west coast on its tail to slow down a bit.so we can get a little more ridging on the west coast and thus a little more digging of the trough early on.

Either way, I'm moderately confident this will be a buckeye-SSC special.

We need...

1. That initial wave to be just strong/fast enough to shove some of that confluence in Canada northeast, yet not too strong/fast to where it shoves the baroclinic zone too far south.

2. That system entering the west coast on its tail to slow down a bit.so we can get a little more ridging on the west coast and thus a little more digging of the trough early on.

Lol.

We need...

Better confidence then me at this point. As mentioned only thing i do know is models tending to over do blocks the past month or so.. How much of a role that plays this go around is anyones guess. Depends a bit on the front runner aka Christmas event.

Better confidence then me at this point. As mentioned only thing i do know is models tending to over do blocks the past month or so.. How much of a role that plays this go around is anyones guess. Depends a bit on the front runner aka Christmas event.

On the other hand, short of a full-blown phase west of the Appalachians (I.E. December 2004, January 1978, etc.), it's not common for these gulf lows to get north of the Ohio River and track west of the Appalachians without transferring to the east coast/east of the mountains.

That's something to keep in mind too. I'm not saying that will happen with this particular storm, but it's more likely than not. I'll gladly eat my crow though (fried) if this thing does track from Nashville to Cleveland or Toledo.

On the other hand, short of a full-blown phase west of the Appalachians (I.E. December 2004, January 1978, etc.), it's not common for these gulf lows to get north of the Ohio River and track west of the Appalachians without transferring to the east coast/east of the mountains.

That's something to keep in mind too. I'm not saying that will happen with this particular storm, but it's more likely than not. I'll gladly eat my crow though (fried) if this thing does track from Nashville to Cleveland or Toledo.

Possible i suppose but i doubt it gets as far nw as Toledo. At this point i wont write anything off though. lol.. Been burned too many times this far out..

I'd say 1-3 or so at the most at this point. Maybe more with LES as the winds wrap up around the low?

Thanks...yeah, with NW winds there'd be some LES. I simply can't believe how little snow we've had. Even people who hate snow around here are looking forward to snow...as the weather has been soooooo boring and mild.

Archived