Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 15-17th Potential Winter Storm

SpartyOn

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro has had it for several runs. Far too early but if it still has a storm 3-4 days from now then it will instill some confidence in an event in that timeframe.

Is this storm supposed to create its own cold air? Almost looks like the cold is 1000 miles north.

Jon

St louis NWS has a little to say about the system for next week:

WEEK OF DECEMBER 17TH...

ECWMF CONTINUES TO BE MOST CONSISTENT WITH ANOTHER LARGE STORM

SYSTEM TAKING SHAPE ACROSS THE LOWER/MIDDLE MISSISSIPPI RIVER

VALLEY. SOME POTENTIAL THAT THIS STORM COULD BRING THE FIRST

MEASURABLE SNOW TO PARTS OF THE CWA GIVEN THE SOUTHERN NATURE OF THE

FORECAST TRACK. MEANWHILE...THE GFS...WHICH HAS LARGELY BEEN IGNORED

IN RECENT DAYS...HAS NO RESEMBLANCE OF THE ECWMF SOLUTION FOR NEXT

WEEK.

NAM really doesn't even have that way like the GFS does around the 84/90hr mark rolling acoss southern Canada near the border. Just a big system moving across southern CA with the next system flying across the pacific behind it.

Look at the massive change at 165 on the 18z GFS compared to the 171 on the 12z GFS. No system off the SW CA coast on the 18z and the system that's hanging out along the Canada border on the 12z is now in Texas on the 18z.

Id like to order...

the GFS storm Dec 16th

the EURO storm Dec 18/19th

the GFS storm Dec 24/25th

:lmao:at least potential is there!

I think that is what is most important. At least something is showing up. The more storms the better chance you get hit by one. Better than having no chance at all.

I think that is what is most important. At least something is showing up. The more storms the better chance you get hit by one. Better than having no chance at all.

They will all fall to the crapper as time goes by and the dates get closer, especially if there is consensus on the GFS ensembles. You actually don't want consensus on those ensembles, because they are so inaccurate.

They will all fall to the crapper as time goes by and the dates get closer, especially if there is consensus on the GFS ensembles. You actually don't want consensus on those ensembles, because they are so inaccurate.

I don't know. I think it is more encouraging that the euro and its ensemble mean both agree on a couple storms this week. It raises more confidence I think. It's not a guarantee obviously but its something to watch.

lol. If the GFS shows it, it's not going to happen, eh? That's actually a pretty good strategy.

Huh? Generally any type of consensus in the ensembles towards a storm is a good one.

Huh? Generally any type of consensus in the ensembles towards a storm is a good one.

Not the GFS ensembles, granted I'm talking in the medium or long range. In that range, even the ensembles of the GFS have tended to be wrong. There have been periods where many or most have shown a major storm in that range, like the late November bust, and it turned out to be a pedestrian frontal passage.

that's such a hilariously twisted and incorrect way of thinking

One of the worst post I've ever read here outside of mine. You need to delete AccuWeather forums from your computer.

Not the GFS ensembles, granted I'm talking in the medium or long range. In that range, even the ensembles of the GFS have tended to be wrong. There have been periods where many or most have shown a major storm in that range, like the late November bust, and it turned out to be a pedestrian frontal passage.

what a huge sample size :weenie:

Yeah, I wish the Euro came out four times a day, since it can actually pin winter systems down very well from time to time.

I don't know...it would lose some of the mystique I think. Less opportunities for flip flops with something that comes out twice a day compared to 4 times a day. Euro actually used to only come out once a day about 10 years ago IIRC.

I don't know...it would lose some of the mystique I think. Less opportunities for flip flops with something that comes out twice a day compared to 4 times a day. Euro actually used to only come out once a day about 10 years ago IIRC.

Yep, once a day. Remember when the GFS/MRF only went out to 7 days, or 10 days (I can't remember exactly)...and was only run two times a day? The NAM was the ETA and the NGM was somewhat legit. Well, it's MOS product was.

Geez, we've been doing this for too long. :arrowhead:

Yep, once a day. Remember when the GFS/MRF only went out to 7 days, or 10 days (I can't remember exactly)...and was only run two times a day? The NAM was the ETA and the NGM was somewhat legit. Well, it's MOS product was.

Geez, we've been doing this for too long. :arrowhead:

Lots of changes over the years. I think the Euro was 00z only.

I've spent like half of my years on these boards. :):(

Archived