• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2012 banter thread

nycsnow

The NWS cooperative station at Dobbs Ferry (elevation 200 feet) measured 32.9" that winter; though there was apparently some missing data from January and March.

Yeah those were key months....February was the sleeper that winter. We had a 6" event on a SW flow event on 1/28/09 and then 10" on 3/2 with a coastal although I was in South America for the latter event.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the five warmest temperatures on this date are...

66 in 1970...December ends up below average with some snow and ice before Christmas...New Years day snowstorm...

64 in 1998...Warm until just before Christmas with some snow on the 23rd...

61 in 1912...11.4" of snow Christmas Eve...

60 in 1968...Cold returns on the 10th with single digit readings...5" snow on the 15th...Cold December...

60 in 1980...Snow Christmas Eve with a cold wave...-1 Christmas day...

The warmth now doesn't bother me because it can change in a hurry...

Paul Pastelok from Accuweather

Well, for the first time in a while, I am starting to see signs of warming at the stratospheric level over the pole. The latest AO shows negative values through the 15-day period. But looking at the cross-section, you can see the beginning signs of warming. However, classic warming begins high then sinks in the stratosphere, forcing cold into the troposphere then eventually to the surface and midlatitudes but with a significant delay. This tells me the pattern will change mid-month

Anyone who enjoys this weather should just go to Florida, it is disgusting to me, the gfs shows a disaster to me. It shows another torch next week. It can't get any worse than last winter, we already had snow so it's not like we won't get zero snowfall so I'm hoping that alone will make this winter seem a lot better than last season I hope.

last winter didn't have zero snowfall

Anyone who enjoys this weather should just go to Florida, it is disgusting to me, the gfs shows a disaster to me. It shows another torch next week. It can't get any worse than last winter, we already had snow so it's not like we won't get zero snowfall so I'm hoping that alone will make this winter seem a lot better than last season I hope.

And anyone who enjoys arctic outbreaks should just go to Alaska.

Beginning to sound a lot like last year "pattern will change" :whistle:

Normally, I would be thinking this way as well, but it really does not look like this current pattern has staying power. See, for example, donsutherland's posts in the main thread. Unlke last year when he never saw us escaping the torch, he outlines some pretty persuasive reasons why this year looks different. If this pans out, it looks like you might want to keep your coat, hat, and gloves close-by. :thumbsup:

Archived