• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Son of Sandy- Nov 6,7,8 2012

HoarfrostHubb

I think every member misses or just grazes you guys. Tough pill to swallow after being in the Euro commahead.

I believe it was yesterday when Jay was wondering aloud who would get more snow between himself and Kevin. Leon Lett Syndrome?

Can live with it for now. Things can trend back just as quick as they went east. No white flag here yet.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. We're good.

I think you predicted a November snowfall a while back.

We have been due for one, so hopefully this one delivers. Usually our November snows are much later than this though. But we did have that early one in Nov 2004. That was a chilly airmass too. A big torch followed that one too.

I think you predicted a November snowfall a while back.

We have been due for one, so hopefully this one delivers. Usually our November snows are much later than this though. But we did have that early one in Nov 2004. That was a chilly airmass too. A big torch followed that one too.

Jerry and Scooter naked on the couch with 04/05 analogy?

Tough forecast. Just starting to look at some of the details and things definitely look a bit more favorable. The GFS has trended dramatically colder from where it was 24 hours ago.

Still not sure exactly what to make of the whole thing but today's trends are intriguing. 00z runs should shed some light.

I can't believe how cold the GFS is for BOS.

I can - models have been way underdone with the magnitude of this cold and are merely catching on. This is evidence by going back several cycles and comparing to where we are - not trying to take any high road here, it's just what I'm observing. In fact, it could be more surprising that the models were as warm as they were, more so for me than where they are going now. The Euro also trend a tick colder across several cycles in whole. That's perhaps telling as early as yesterday -

Perhaps llv grid points are too sparse from source, who knows .. but we are in deep winter air mass, period. I got DPs in the teens and have fallen below 32F before 9PM. 500dm thickness in the upper 530s ? you mix any precipitable water into this airmass and it snows, slam dunk.

We need to collectively stop with this transparent bargaining act (let's over do it on skepticism) by digging and digging for any reason to outwit the models - make the snow call and if it doesn't happen, show some balls and take it on the chin.

I got no problem going with mainly a snow event during the majority of meaningful QPF and that's what I'm going. Ratios 8 or so to 1, higher in the interior els. Blue snow autumn/spring style. Or nothing... let's hope the e trend doesn't end up in England.

Obviously shore and coastal communities don't fit into the argument so hot ..well, because of ocean heat, but that always in play.

I can - models have been way underdone with the magnitude of this cold and are merely catching on. This is evidence by going back several cycles and comparing to where we are - not trying to take any high road here, it's just what I'm observing. In fact, it could be more surprising that the models were as warm as they were, more so for me than where they are going now. The Euro also trend a tick colder across several cycles in whole. That's perhaps telling as early as yesterday -

Perhaps llv grid points are too sparse from source, who knows .. but we are in deep winter air mass, period. I got DPs in the teens and have fallen below 32F before 9PM. 500dm thickness in the upper 530s ? you mix any precipitable water into this airmass and it snows, slam dunk.

We need to collectively stop with this transparent bargaining act (let's over do it on skepticism) by digging and digging for any reason to outwit the models - make the snow call and if it doesn't happen, show some balls and take it on the chin.

I got no problem going with mainly a snow even during the majority of meaningful QPF and that's what I'm going. Ratios 8 or so to 1, higher in the interior els. Blue snow autumn/spring style. Or nothing... let's hope the e trend does end up in England.

Obviously shore and coastal communities don't fit into the argument so hot ..well, because of ocean heat, but that always in play.

Even down here it's 30F right now with a DP of 18*. Just wondering...John. What do you consider to be elevated when you speak of that? I know my home at 1k in Harwinton is, but at school I'm only at 600'. Fair to consider that elevated?

Speaking of Harwinton, it's 26 there. Damn cold!

I got no problem going with mainly a snow even during the majority of meaningful QPF and that's what I'm going. Ratios 8 or so to 1, higher in the interior els. Blue snow autumn/spring style. Or nothing... let's hope the e trend does end up in England.

lol...You've never been one to take the cautious route in forecasting/discussing on this board. Always throwing out ways a storm can bomb or deliver a heavy snowfall. The weenies appreciate it ;)

We need to stop collectively stop this transparent bargaining act by digging and digging for any reason to outwit the models - make the snow call and if it doesn't happen, show some balls and take it on the chin.

I think the GFS is too far east though, even the ensembles were closer. That goes into how cold the GFS op is. All the previous runs with lows tucked in closer would have gave me mostly rain...no matter what. I understand the interior remaining cold or ticking colder, but the GFS is pretty chilly for BOS. That could happen if the low stays offshore like that, but I don't know if I quite buy something that far east. Maybe it will be, as we saw the shift today. If the runs overnight continue that or even better...get stronger lift NW, then I'll feel more bullish for this area.

One other thing to consider. There will be a strong coastal front nearby if the GFS is right..probably right near BOS. It would be possible to create my private little QPF event like 12/26/10 did. That would help with dynamic cooling too. So I hate to say it...but I see a subsidence zone not too far from here.

Even down here it's 30F right now with a DP of 18*. Just wondering...John. What do you consider to be elevated when you speak of that? I know my home at 1k in Harwinton is, but at school I'm only at 600'. Fair to consider that elevated?

I think Will might be better suited to the geographical question per se; I'm can give you the conceptual run down with panache - my experience is that it's make or break in he els beginning at about 800ft, and is why I reference that altitude a lot. But that's in general - you can have idiosyncratic set ups that offer quirky outside the norm layerings - we've seen that before, where it's icing at 1,000 feet and then cold rain at 1,500 because that layer is closer to the elevated warm wedge - that kind of crap. In this case we are in the cold conveyor area of cyclone where the elevations straight up benefit from being higher and into colder air.

Yeah this airmass means business... Wetbulb never got higher than 26F and the high for the day was 29F at the base of the mountain. Snow cover above 1,200ft is going no where.

Early November and highs below freezing... that's a cold airmass.

Widespread teens and maybe even some upper single digits possible in the normal icebox spots like SLK tonight.

I think the GFS is too far east though, even the ensembles were closer. That goes into how cold the GFS op is. All the previous runs with lows tucked in closer would have gave me mostly rain...no matter what. I understand the interior remaining cold or ticking colder, but the GFS is pretty chilly for BOS. That could happen if the low stays offshore like that, but I don't know if I quite buy something that far east. Maybe it will be, as we saw the shift today. If the runs overnight continue that or even better...get stronger lift NW, then I'll feel more bullish for this area.

One other thing to consider. There will be a strong coastal front nearby if the GFS is right..probably right near BOS. It would be possible to create my private little QPF event like 12/26/10 did. That would help with dynamic cooling too. So I hate to say it...but I see a subsidence zone not too far from here.

Oh, I see - yeah no that's certainly a good point on the coast. I did mention that the arguments don't hold much water ...well, they do ironically haha, on the coast... And by that I mean within 20mile of the shore at this time of year.

Yeah, too bad we don't have a +PP, North

But, as you say, if the east track pans than it may bring the goods closer. But even so, gosh the water's in the 50s still - east schmeest, it rains in Boston.

Hmm...wonder where :lol:

Oh, I see - yeah no that's certainly a good point on the coast. I did mention that the arguments don't hold much water ...well, they do ironically haha, on the coast... And by that I mean within 20mile of the shore at this time of year.

Yeah, too bad we don't have a +PP, North

But, as you say, if the east track pans than it may bring the goods closer. But even so, gosh the water's in the 50s still - east schmeest, it rains in Boston.

Yeah I was shocked at the sounding..lol. I can't even buy that in the middle of January sometimes, but that is a testament to the wetbulb potential and ageostrophic flow with the winds more nrly. I'll hold off until the morning and evaluate then because models are still having a tough time handling the features.

Archived