northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Son of Sandy- Nov 6,7,8 2012

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both the Euro and NAM graphics output a significant early season snow event now extending into lower elevations as well - but higher elevations would still exceed to do up-slope and ratios together.

I don't see quite as much ZR out of this as we are in the cold conveyor district of the cyclone, and the thermal profile of those tends to be more isothermal. You could get some warm layers aloft but they are usually pretty far up there where the WCB splits - the western end may form a trowel feature, and the other part peals off into the downstream riding. When that occurs, you usually end up with a tall sleet column.

Again, I still believe the emerging reality in the runs is that this is just a early season snow event period. Ground temperatures are an issue. These products pumping out 6+" may be what is/has fallen per time interval but it's a question how much of that is measured in actual depth.

As far as the later trend to push the action further East ...eh, maybe, sure. One thing I am noticing is less aggressive phase in these recent runs; with less you get a bit less rapidity in the intensification rates - in addition to moving the low E, it also means that dynamics are available further N.

Oh, ha - Scott mentioned the phase issues above - word!

GFS soundings are really cold...it has ORH below freezing at the sfc tomorrow evening with 950mb temps of -5C. Even BOS at 54h has 950mb temps of -2 or -3C...that would be snow right in the city. Might have some trouble sticking, but definitely flakes in the air.

Both the Euro and NAM graphics output a significant early season snow event now extending into lower elevations as well - but higher elevations would still exceed to do up-slope and ratios together.

I don't see quite as much ZR out of this as we are in the cold conveyor district of the cyclone, and the thermal profile of those tends to be more isothermal. You could get some warm layers aloft but they are usually pretty far up there where the WAA splits - the western end may form a trowel feature, and the other part peals off into the downstream riding. When that occurs, you usually end up with a tall sleet column.

Again, I still believe the emerging reality in the runs is that this is just a early season snow event period. Ground temperatures are an issue. These products pumping out 6+" may be what is/has fallen per time interval but it's a question how much of that is measured in actual depth.

As far as the later trend to push the action further East ...eh, maybe, sure. One thing I am noticing is less aggressive phase in these recent runs; with less you get a bit less rapidity in the intensification rates - in addition to moving the low E, it also means that dynamics are available further N.

Oh, ha - Scott mentioned the phase issues above - word!

Skin temps should be decently cold after these next couple of days. Insolation is fairly low, but if the precip shield can't keep itself solidly organized there could be thin spots in the ovc for the valleys. For areas that hang around 32-34F having this at night for that reason may be a slight benefit.

GFS soundings are really cold...it has ORH below freezing at the sfc tomorrow evening with 950mb temps of -5C. Even BOS at 54h has 950mb temps of -2 or -3C...that would be snow right in the city. Might have some trouble sticking, but definitely flakes in the air.

GFS has the look of an ORH-IJD special. I'm a little bummed being as far west as I am but I know if it comes too far west then WAA at the mid-levels = game-over. Either way, it'd be good to see it beef up on precip. in future runs.

Skin temps should be decently cold after these next couple of days. Insolation is fairly low, but if the precip shield can't keep itself solidly organized there could be thin spots in the ovc for the valleys. For areas that hang around 32-34F having this at night for that reason may be a slight benefit.

Agreed -

...actually, in all honesty part of me was regretting having mentioned the ground temps. I think that is overrated to some degree -

Archived