• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Anonymous Thanks

wxsniss

I wasn't sure where to post this, so made this thread. I'm ok if it gets buried with 0 replies.

Labeled it "anonymous thanks". I wish there was an anonymous way to post, but I'll just say that I'm sure hundreds of registered members and anonymous lurkers would agree with the following...

It's been an exhausting week tracking something we truly may never see again in our lifetimes. We're in awe of the meteorologic extremes and devastating impact we've just witnessed.

To all the Mets, Mods and countless knowledgeable posters on here: thank you. In a way that is rarely this extreme, the weather phenomenon that fascinate us have had some tragic impacts on thousands. Your collective expertise distilled and propagated to others has helped countless people stay informed and prepare for this storm.

To the many on this board whose normal way of life was shattered yesterday by injury or damage to property: many people you will never meet are thinking about you and wish you the best in recovery.

clap.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif great post!

I wasn't sure where to post this, so made this thread. I'm ok if it gets buried with 0 replies.

Labeled it "anonymous thanks". I wish there was an anonymous way to post, but I'll just say that I'm sure hundreds of registered members and anonymous lurkers would agree with the following...

It's been an exhausting week tracking something we truly may never see again in our lifetimes. We're in awe of the meteorologic extremes and devastating impact we've just witnessed.

To all the Mets, Mods and countless knowledgeable posters on here: thank you. In a way that is rarely this extreme, the weather phenomenon that fascinate us have had some tragic impacts on thousands. Your collective expertise distilled and propagated to others has helped countless people stay informed and prepare for this storm.

To the many on this board whose normal way of life was shattered yesterday by injury or damage to property: many people you will never meet are thinking about you and wish you the best in recovery.

I'm not on air or have much of a social media presence, but Ryan and Phil do. They both did a really good job conveying specifics for impacts related to their region of interest. For those who don't know, Phil was on Facebook talking to what seemed like hundreds of people on the south coast and Cape relaying information on impacts. Ryan was on air as we all know giving real time updates and tweets. Even learned a thing or two about ways to measure tidal departures which I never even heard about or bothered to care until now. The Titan of Tidal Gauges. LOL.

DDOS attack side...AmericanWx really shined in the past week. All of you help to make this place what it is. We cracked down more than usual on the moderation to make sure only accurate information was being posted, but for the most part everyone cooperated. We had 2000+ at a time browsing the forum over the past few days and half of them were guests seeking information from all of the great mets and members here. Many of those guests are now new members. We've had 244 new members over the last 10 days. We had 66 new members total the previous 7 weeks before that.

These forums are a unique place to receive information. We have realtime obs, model analyses as the maps roll in, and an immense number of knowledgeable mets posting thoughts and discussions. You don't just get a specific forecast here, you get a range of possibilities to make you better prepared. As for those of us who are frequent posters, we live for this stuff (not the damage of course) and all learn something from each other at one point or another.

Best wishes to everyone who suffered significant damage or injuries. It was an amazing, yet terrifying, storm for many.

Violently agree.

very well said..

i'm not very good with words, but this post sums the last week up effectively..

good luck and thoughts to all affected

DDOS attack side...AmericanWx really shined in the past week. All of you help to make this place what it is. We cracked down more than usual on the moderation to make sure only accurate information was being posted, but for the most part everyone cooperated. We had 2000+ at a time browsing the forum over the past few days and half of them were guests seeking information from all of the great mets and members here. Many of those guests are now new members. We've had 244 new members over the last 10 days. We had 66 new members total the previous 7 weeks before that.

These forums are a unique place to receive information. We have realtime obs, model analyses as the maps roll in, and an immense number of knowledgeable mets posting thoughts and discussions. You don't just get a specific forecast here, you get a range of possibilities to make you better prepared. As for those of us who are frequent posters, we live for this stuff (not the damage of course) and all learn something from each other at one point or another.

Best wishes to everyone who suffered significant damage or injuries. It was an amazing, yet terrifying, storm for many.

Awesome. Thanks to you and all the other admins for all you do. And thanks to the mets as well for dealing with us weenies and to-be mets. :P

:thumbsup:

I concur

Completely agree!!! I know that the general public has a very difficult time understanding the concept that there are various possible outcomes with an array of probabilities based on specific factors. It's hard for them to deal with as they just want to deal in absolutes.

I am not a scientist but I sincerely appreciate that I can come to this site and read discussions that provide a window into the science of predicting the weather.

I am especially grateful to have an opportunity to know way ahead of 'normal' people when the possibility of an unusual event exists. Even 10 plus days out, from reading this board, I know when I need to watch for possible disruptions in plans due to the weather.

Because of this information I've been able to be better prepared for weather events including this one. On a fun note, as a skier, you guys have allowed me to be in 'the right place at the right time' more than once.

I wish that the general public was able to absorb the information available here, but I know that is not possible. I am greatful for the fact that this is an open, public forum where I have the opportunity to read the discussions.

I have been a member of this and the previous board for many years now. Although I have little to offer you all as part of the community (other than first hand observations) I want to thank you all for allowing me to participate and learn.

Thank you....all of you!!!!!!

Well said!!!

I'll echo the thoughts already expressed above me. I thought that this board's staff and contributors provided and continue to provide an outstanding resource both to track and keep updated on conditions as they developed. The geneosity shown by the mets in sharing their knowledge always amazes me and the knowledge of the posters who may not have that red tag blows me away. Thank you all for your input.

As for the staff, I'm not sure words can show how much I appreciate the time and effort that you put into this site. Not just for the big events but everyday. I am not sure how many posts were deleted during this past event but either the posters really stepped up their game or there was some very skillful moderation. Again thank you. And to all who are living through the aftermath of Sandy, know that we are thinking of you and things will improve.

I would like to add my own personal THANK YOU. I would also like to add that as a volunteer firefighter of 20 years, you guys kept us informed and it really made a huge difference. The prep that went into this storm for our local agencies was unreal. I however was ahead of that planning curve by a few days by watching and reading you great people. Our local emergency agencies are now going to be deployed downstate to help. Again, thanks everyone.

BTW the Euro won this model battle. J/k.

Archived