Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

theoretically, how far can these winds push/force water inland? I am 1.5 miles from the Bay, am I in any danger? This is a serious question and what worried about all day yesterday...

It's going to depend on the tides and the timing/alignment with the tides as well. The observed rises at The Battery are very concerning given the short term modeled switch to southeast winds and improved mixing of strong winds aloft.

theoretically, how far can these winds push/force water inland? I am 1.5 miles from the Bay, am I in any danger? This is a serious question and what worried about all day yesterday...

its gonna produce a bunch of force and really push the water inland during high tide but if your elevated enough above sea level you should be fine my friend, but dont quote me on this

look at the winds SW of the center compared to the NE

Ok serious question that I'd like answered....this basically shows it t be 100% true that the winds on the SW side ARE stronger than any on the NE side. I've always thought it to be the opposite. Why is this ?? And when these winds switch up and hit us here near NYC...what is the reasoning as to why they'd be as strong/stronger than those on the SW side??

Archived