joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't feel like the gusts are mixing down efficiently here in Westchester. We have 110kt 850mb winds approaching the area and yet I don't think we're seeing winds over 50mph here. There are times when the wind almost completely shuts down, and then kicks back up momentarily. It's not a sustained hurricane roar.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

314 PM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0236 PM NON-TSTM WND GST 4 ENE PLUM ISLAND 41.20N 72.12W

10/29/2012 M81 MPH SUFFOLK NY MESONET

MESONET

I will be the first to say it: this storm has definitely under-produced at my location here in Middlesex County, NJ. Gusts have approached 60MPH, but there has been very little damage. I just drove 15 miles through the area and only found small branches in the road and 1 small tree down. No power lines down. Clearly, when this storm is reviewed, the most significant aspect will have been the storm surge combined with the astro. tides. Of course, my lights just flickered as I was writing this. AGAIN, I am speaking only of my area in terms of the wind and rain. Obviously, this has been devastating south and east of here.

I still don't feel like the gusts are mixing down efficiently here in Westchester. We have 110kt 850mb winds approaching the area and yet I don't think we're seeing winds over 50mph here. There are times when the wind almost completely shuts down, and then kicks back up momentarily. It's not a sustained hurricane roar.

I will be the first to say it: this storm has definitely under-produced at my location here in Middlesex County, NJ. Gusts have approached 60MPH, but there has been very little damage. I just drove 15 miles through the area and only found small branches in the road and 1 small tree down. No power lines down. Clearly, when this storm is reviewed, the most significant aspect will have been the storm surge combined with the astro. tides. Of course, my lights just flickered as I was writing this. AGAIN, I am speaking only of my area in terms of the wind and rain. Obviously, this has been devastating south and east of here.

I can tell you in my area, it is not under-performing I know many people who have already lost power and we're getting strong gusts now. We still have plenty of time before the strongest forecast winds mix down/come ashore.

Archived