joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea if the tap water in Manhattan is safe at this point? I still have power, but the basement of the building I live in flooded last night.

The water certainly "looks" normal. But has anyone heard about "boil water" alerts in the NYC/manhattan area?

Warzone here in coastal CT--IMBY did ok-some trees down etc, but we're away from the water--and even at that, 5 miles inland, I have salt spray on my windows.

I meant to say this earlier, same here. I'm approx. 6 miles from the ocean if you go south, if you go east its even further. I have salt spray on everything outside.

sometime last night, someone posted that he had text them that he had lost power. thats the last i heard and i didn't see anything this am on facebook from him either.

thank, J

Same story here as everywhere else. Trees into lines and houses. Net is very slow

Forky!

He just posted on Facebook 2 hrs ago saying cvs underwater

long as he's ok, thanks!

Anthony texted me saying he has no power and his street is under water

sucks, but glad he's alright

Dangling, loose telephone wire outside the house. Thank goodness the wind didn't blow the wire onto the house or anything...it was definitely live before.

post-73-135161046173.jpg

Telephone wires don't spark. That is def a high voltage line. Notice how its located towards the top of the lines. That's a good bet to know if its service (cable, phone) or power lines. (That and the spark is a dead giveaway).

Rule of thumb, unless you're a power company employee, treat all wires , sparking or not, as live wires.

Btw I'm in zone b

Ugh, so sorry to hear this and everyone else who lost parts or all of their homes. I wonder if there will be a fallout for not evacuating Zone B when IMO it flooding was always an option on the table.

Anyone have more specific reports out of JC or Hoboken? Just saw the flooding videos last night but that's all I can find.

LIPA just got my power back up here in Great Neck Plaza. Some commercial building on Cuttermill Road lost part of its roof last night in the highest gusts, as insulation is all over the place.

News is saying 90% of the island without power. 90%!!! sheeesh. LIPA numbers are at 937,000, seems to be leveling off finally...I hope

Telephone wires don't spark. That is def a high voltage line. Notice how its located towards the top of the lines. That's a good bet to know if its service (cable, phone) or power lines. (That and the spark is a dead giveaway).

Rule of thumb, unless you're a power company employee, treat all wires , sparking or not, as live wires.

Many people prob. don't know this but telephone and cable lines on poles can carry as much as 120 V. This is how they power some of their equipment, I was told by cable & telco employees. So I would say, stay away from ALL downed lines!!! Its much different than tel. & cable lines inside of the homes.

Archived