• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

WOW at the winds last night from 6-10 pm in Southern Somerset County. I lost power at 5 pm yesterday but got it back this morning. The whole house literally shook when the winds came through. Probably the strongest winds I have ever heard and may ever hear in my lifetime. Those winds were genuinely scary, as branches/debris kept on hitting the windows, giving an eerie effect when the gusts picked up.

Probably 65-75 mph gusts here during the peak of the storm.

I haven't fully urveyed the damage in my town, but there is a tree down in my backyard, and my neighbour has roof damage.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as the High Wind Warning expired for my area at 9 am, this gets issued until 5 pm today:

... WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON... ... HIGH WIND WARNING IS CANCELLED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WIND ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON. THE HIGH WIND WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* WINDS... SOUTHEAST 20 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.

* THIS IS STILL A DANGEROUS SITUATION!

* TIMING... WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH EARLY THIS MORNING COULD STILL UPROOT A FEW TREES.

* IMPACTS... THE WORST HAS OCCURRED WITH THE ADDITIONAL FELLED TREES AND BRANCH BREAKAGE THREATENING TO HARM RECOVERY EFFORTS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

MOTORISTS SHOULD USE EXTRA CAUTION... ESPECIALLY THOSE IN HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. LIGHT-WEIGHT OUTDOOR OBJECTS SUCH AS PATIO FURNITURE AND GARBAGE CANS SHOULD BE SECURED.

Looks like rain bands will be a constant for the area today:

post-3451-0-35047300-1351602824_thumb.pn

In terms of damage, it's the worst storm in Northeast US history and will be the most expensive natural disaster in US History. I don't think that point will really be debatable.

Not even close there fella.

Katrina was $41B insured loss (46.5B inlation adjusted).

Sandy might get to 15B insured. "might".

We can revisit this in a few weeks. Can't see any reason why it would not surpass Katrina - much larger impacted area and a a storm inundating some of the most valuable real estate in the country, not to mention infrastructure damage to public transportation.

Edit: and that's not even factoring in productivity losses in the near term.

We can revisit this in a few weeks. Can't see any reason why it would not surpass Katrina - much larger impacted area and a a storm inundating some of the most valuable real estate in the country, not to mention infrastructure damage to public transportation.

Edit: and that's not even factoring in productivity losses in the near term.

Agreed, this will get much worse once a few days have passed and damage is assessed.

You are seriously underestimating the scope of what has happened in the northeast...particularly along the coastal communities.

You must have some inside information from the thousands of nooks and crannies of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic/Southeast/Midwest/interior WV/VA/NC (snow/power outages), because from what I've been hearing, it is WAY too early to estimate....

Do you have a source for the $15 billion or some methodology in how you pulled that figure out yo' azz?

Still gusty here with breaks of sun. Noticed LIPA outages still going up!! closing in on 930,000. Just saw town snow plow, they're plowing debris out of the road.

Yeah, the rate of increase has slowed slightly but probably still tons of stuff leaning on lines snapping them. Pretty sure we'll be out here eventually, every few hours we have a flicker off and then on and here a massive transformer firing over the other side of the houses behind us...its likely not directly tied to our line but feeds into it, my guess is sooner or later it goes and we go with it.

Archived