joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

314 PM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0236 PM NON-TSTM WND GST 4 ENE PLUM ISLAND 41.20N 72.12W

10/29/2012 M81 MPH SUFFOLK NY MESONET

MESONET

Strange, the public information statement shows it was 84 mph:

4 ENE PLUM ISLAND 84 303 PM 10/29 MESONET

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it may be worse, we could see winds in the Metro switch SE now early which may pile alot of water, especially places like Freeport.

Gotcha, but wasn't that going to happen anyways? I would have thought the storm surge would be worse if the center would stay over the water longer because that would give it more time to push the surge on shore, and then the SE winds would follow after.

I will be the first to say it: this storm has definitely under-produced at my location here in Middlesex County, NJ. Gusts have approached 60MPH, but there has been very little damage. I just drove 15 miles through the area and only found small branches in the road and 1 small tree down. No power lines down. Clearly, when this storm is reviewed, the most significant aspect will have been the storm surge combined with the astro. tides. Of course, my lights just flickered as I was writing this. AGAIN, I am speaking only of my area in terms of the wind and rain. Obviously, this has been devastating south and east of here.

Its worked out close to what I felt wind wise so far....40-50 with gusts 60-70 and some isolated 80s or so right on the coast or Islands. Hopefully we don't get anything to nuts this evening on the switchover to the S winds...models show only 65kts off the deck by 01-03Z so probably not.

Gotcha, but wasn't that going to happen anyways? I would have thought the storm surge would be worse if the center would stay over the water longer because that would give it more time to push the surge on shore, and then the SE winds would follow after.

If you look at the angle, SE winds actually push more water into the bight and onto the south shore of LI.

Its worked out close to what I felt wind wise so far....40-50 with gusts 60-70 and some isolated 80s or so right on the coast or Islands. Hopefully we don't get anything to nuts this evening on the switchover to the S winds...models show only 65kts off the deck by 01-03Z so probably not.

yea, south winds will be lower in the 40-55mph range. Strogest winds are basically now till around 6.

I still don't feel like the gusts are mixing down efficiently here in Westchester. We have 110kt 850mb winds approaching the area and yet I don't think we're seeing winds over 50mph here. There are times when the wind almost completely shuts down, and then kicks back up momentarily. It's not a sustained hurricane roar.

Classic issue with the mainland disrupting the winds due to friction. Always happens with these tropical systems. Really hard to get big winds away from the coast from these systems. Its always gonna be much windier at the coast.

I will be the first to say it: this storm has definitely under-produced at my location here in Middlesex County, NJ. Gusts have approached 60MPH, but there has been very little damage. I just drove 15 miles through the area and only found small branches in the road and 1 small tree down. No power lines down. Clearly, when this storm is reviewed, the most significant aspect will have been the storm surge combined with the astro. tides. Of course, my lights just flickered as I was writing this. AGAIN, I am speaking only of my area in terms of the wind and rain. Obviously, this has been devastating south and east of here.

Thank you....Ditto in my area. I dont think ive seen, heard, felt anything near 60MPH gusts...there arent even branches down here...

upton disagrees....they think strongest gusts occur when winds switch to S-SE after landfall.

Shocking, because they use logic with the LLJ over head the next few hours and the improving lapse rates after the storm is inland which could help mix down the winds overhead..with a 900mb wind max of 70+kts overhead at that time.

Classic issue with the mainland disrupting the winds due to friction. Always happens with these tropical systems. Really hard to get big winds away from the coast from these systems. Its always gonna be much windier at the coast.

The HRRR actually shows this effect over LI too with pinks showing 70-80 gusts but Nassau itself highlighted more yellow. The winds being SE would likely have added more speed, exactly why I'm saying be cautious this evening. High RES models show Nassau./Queens/Bklyn being a focus from 23-01 for some possible very strong SE'lies....less rain and the sun down hopefully mitigates things.

SUMMARY OF 400 PM EDT...2000 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...38.6N 74.0W

ABOUT 55 MI...90 KM ESE OF CAPE MAY NEW JERSEY

ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM SE OF ATLANTIC CITY NEW JERSEY

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 28 MPH...44 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...940 MB...27.76 INCHES

ALL NWP IN PRETTY CLOSE

AGREEMENT ON DEVELOPMENT AND PLACEMENT OF A BAND OF VERY STRONG

925 MB WINDS OF 70-90 KT TO THE NORTH OF THE CYCLONE BY LATE

AFTERNOON OVER OUR CWA...ESPECIALLY ACROSS COASTAL SECTIONS. A

SHALLOW MIXED LAYER BELOW THAT...IN COMBINATION WITH POSSIBLE

GRAVITY WAVE DUCTING JUST NORTH OF A WARM FRONT DEVELOPING TO THE

NORTHEAST OF SANDY...COULD ALLOW A LARGE PORTION OF THESE STRONG

WINDS TO MIX DOWN...ESPECIALLY IN HEAVIER RAIN...SO AT LEAST

OCCASIONAL GUSTS 60-75 MPH EXPECTED IN NE-E FLOW DURING MID TO

LATE AFTERNOON BEFORE THE STORM MAKES LANDFALL.

OF EVEN GREATER CONCERN IS A SECOND BAND OF FCST 925 MB WINDS OF

SIMILAR STRENGTH ON THE SE FLANK OF THE CYCLONE THAT SHOULD ROTATE

UP INTO THE CWA DURING AND JUST AFTER LANDFALL THIS

EVENING...INITIALLY IMPACTING SOUTHERN CT AND LONG ISLAND...THEN

TRANSLATING WESTWARD INTO NYC METRO AND THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY.

STEEPENING LOW LEVEL LAPSE RATES IN THIS QUADRANT OF THE STORM

AS CAA BEGINS JUST OFF THE DECK...BUT AS LOW LEVEL WAA

CONTINUES...SHOULD LEAD TO EVEN MORE EFFICIENT MOMENTUM

TRANSFER...WITH THE STRONGEST WINDS EXPECTED ALONG THE SOUTH

SHORES OF LONG ISLAND AND CT WHERE WINDS COULD GUST 80 TO PERHAPS

90 MPH. THERE MAY BE A LOW END TORNADO THREAT ACROSS EASTERN

CT/LONG ISLAND DURING THIS TIME VIA STRONG LOW LEVEL HELICITY AND

DEVELOPMENT OF MARGINAL LOW LEVEL CAPE...NOT ENOUGH FOR THUNDER

INITIALLY BUT ENOUGH FOR LOW-TOPPED CONVECTION THAT COULD STRETCH

ROTATING UPDRAFTS AND/OR TAP INTO HIGHER MOMENTUM ALOFT.

Definitely no underperformance here on the UES of Manhattan. On the ground at head height, my Kestrel maxed out at 35mph. Those of you who have used one of those know how impressive that is. Tons of medium sized branches down, East River is splashing over onto the FDR . . . at 1 hour past LOW tide. This is the highest impact storm since 1992, easily, and its clearly going to exceed 1992 by a good amount when its all set and done.

Shocking, because they use logic with the LLJ over head the next few hours and the improving lapse rates after the storm is inland which could help mix down the winds overhead..with a 900mb wind max of 70+kts overhead at that time.

any chance you can explain what mechanism will mix those winds down to the surface? much appreciated.

Archived