joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stability profile goes way more unstable once those SSE winds start. I would definitely prefer we get those after sundown for sure, still think we will. Its too bad this sucker had to come in during prime heating, I think its definitely aiding some of these winds to reach the surface right now.

Yeah either way I wouldn't rule out someone recording a 90 mph gust. We shall see. Coastal flooding is still my #1 concern.

I think people are failing to realize what a landfall near ACY of a 940mb hurricane means in terms of surge. Faster than schedule or not, as the eye passes to the south and west of NYC wind comes around from the S-SE and will be at their MAXIMUM, due in part to steepening lapse rates (as others have pointed out). This is NOT a saving grace, at all. Surge will be at record levels in many areas.

Getting increasingly windy now in C NJ. It sounds like a plane continually in the air outside right now.

That's what December 1992 sounded like. If you didn't experience that, then congrats you are now experience it. Not the case in my area however. Not yet packing the punch here in extreme eastern Bergen county, (walking distance to the Hudson river), that December 1992 did when I was living in SE Monmouth. Pretty impressive thus far, surpassing Irene easily but not quite December 1992 yet.

Found a pretty good webcam still working from Margate City, NJ......small coastal community southwest of Atlantic City. Looks like most of the town is under water. They even have a time lapse button which you can click on and see the water come up. Hope people have evacuated by now.

http://weather.weath...amera_animate=1

Archived