amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At Starbucks - just heard a worker there say - this is going to be like any other storm...just all hype.

Well for the SNE coast, we see winds 60-70mph quite a bit all things considered. However this storm will probably be the upper echelon for nor'easters here..especially Cape Cod. And unlike the interior which sucks for winds, this will bring strong winds all through the area.

Will the lack of any real rains with this system prevent mixing down of the core of the winds? Nobody is forecasting that so I take it the answer is no...but was just curious.

I think we will see a band of rain move up after 1-2pm. This will probably help some. Afterwards, I think we may see these long, but narrow linear bands of heavier showers rotate up through the night. Any of these bands could bring strong winds.

HMS Bounty situation is plain and simply gross negligence

It was a replica tall sailing ship...IMO a lock for Darwin award nomination, and a strong contender for the eventual winner. Where they went down is bad enough in regular conditions...mind boggling they were there in the midst of Sandy. But, sailboats can't move quick on demand.

NO-doesnt really matter about the track-when the winds shift to the SE all that water comes rushing in.

Yep, its been an uphill battle to convince people of the myth that if this tracks 25 miles south, its going to end up being much less impact...really, there will be no difference. This isn't a hurricane when it hits, its a Nor' Easter of hurricane strength. The strongest winds might be recorded well away from the center and certainly the windfield being the size that it is creates a monster fetch over the water....just pouring it into LI sound.

How strong was Hazel when it made LF? NYC had gusts to 101mph I believe with a weaker system and came into the Carolinas well south of where Sandy will..Chew on that for a bit

Gusted to 98 mph in the Nov 1950 app storm too...I believe both storms had a monster high pushing into the low pressure system from the northeast...those are how we get the greatest winds in storms...same in the 1992 noreaster as well as 2010 which had 60-75 mph wind gusts down here in jersey. probably had ideal conditions for mixing down gusts too, which is why many are worries about the southeast LLJ that will swing in after landfall tonight with warmer surface temps and cooler temps aloft

How strong was Hazel when it made LF? NYC had gusts to 101mph I believe with a weaker system and came into the Carolinas well south of where Sandy will..Chew on that for a bit

It hink it was 113 and yes. I remember the tops of railroad wire poles blowing down the street like tumbleweeds.

Gusted to 98 mph in the Nov 1950 app storm too...I believe both storms had a monster high pushing into the low pressure system from the northeast...those are how we get the greatest winds in storms...same in the 1992 noreaster as well as 2010 which had 60-75 mph wind gusts down here in jersey. probably had ideal conditions for mixing down gusts too, which is why many are worries about the southeast LLJ that will swing in after landfall tonight with warmer surface temps and cooler temps aloft

Yeah and this has that monster high nosing in as well.

Archived