joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My numbers were height above NGVD. Not astro tide. So I suppose I was referring to storm tide.

If that is the case and they are truly expecting a 10 foot surge, and not storm tide...then that would destroy all the records.

Gotcha. Yeah... height above the datum is the storm tide. I have all the benchmarks printed out here for CT and W LIS.

But yeah... the surge values being predicted are just off the rails. I mean some of the guidance has Bridgeport and Stamford exceeding 1938 and 1992 by 3 or 4 feet!

In New London the NWS forecast is 10ft MLLW tide which is above Carol (9.6) and just shy of 1938 (10.6).

Gotcha. Yeah... height above the datum is the storm tide. I have all the benchmarks printed out here for CT and W LIS.

But yeah... the surge values being predicted are just off the rails. I mean some of the guidance has Bridgeport and Stamford exceeding 1938 and 1992 by 3 or 4 feet!

In New London the NWS forecast is 10ft MLLW tide which is above Carol (9.6) and just shy of 1938 (10.6).

BDR 10/30 01Z, surge 8.20, tide 3.47, water level 12.24, Surge models have an issue with compiling, ie they drain water rather than an additive effect. Tides tonight were 1-2 feet above levels predicted 2 days ago. Some of that is from compiled water. Have to watch that low tide tonight to see how much drains. Lots of first hand reports tonight of very high low tides.

We left safe here with friends. Hardest thing to do evacuating your home. Natural instinct is to stay and do what you can truth is nothing I could have done to fight a surge that I have not already done. Any good news on surge or status quo?

Probably a wise decision Joe. My heart goes out to you and your family as well as all the other residents along the coast. I do not wish this upon anyone and hope you all come out unscathed and your homes undamaged.

We left safe here with friends. Hardest thing to do evacuating your home. Natural instinct is to stay and do what you can truth is nothing I could have done to fight a surge that I have not already done. Any good news on surge or status quo?

Good move, hope I was some help. I could hear the anxiety in your voice. I felt helpless. Hopefully you suffer no damage, you can fix that Giuseppe

Best of luck my man!

Hopefully all will be intact when you return

Thanks guys and thank you Steve you reassured me of what I knew and that's what I needed I truly appreciate it. Now it's time for a scotch, by the way it's starting to blow pretty good down here. Selfishly I wanted to ride it out at the shore it would have been an epic show!

Thanks for your help Steve!!

I agree. I very much hope that things will change and the surge will not be anywhere close to what is currently expected.

I have an urge to hike Blue Hill tomorrow afternoon during the height of the storm just to experience the conditions up there... Is this a bad idea (meaning unsafe) or will it just be windy as hell and miserable?

Probably not wise to do but if you could climb up on the lee side of it from the winds you may be ok.

The 3ft surge in Stamford is very concerning to me. The Monday AM high tide around 11:30 a.m. is only for3ecast to have a surge near 4.4ft. I think we may do better than that and actually exceed Irene levels during the morning!

I read a report that a lot of shoreline towns are already seeing moderate coastal flooding...might have been on facebook.

Probably not wise to do but if you could climb up on the lee side of it from the winds you may be ok.

Yeah, I was thinking about hiking up the lift line of the ski area, and then just cutting up through the woods to the summit above the top terminal of the chair.

Sometimes TCs wobble and what looks like an ENE track can abruptly turn N and correct itself. Just something to watch.

I know you had mentioned the state of the center of circulation being more oval like (the hurricane hunters have also reported an elliptical eye), and that can lead to more wobbling just due to the asymmetric nature.

Archived