• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
November 2012 General Discussion

SpartyOn

I don't know about any of you guys but I am really starting to get worried about this winter. I don't think it's going to be last year but I think winter will be milder with below average snowfall. Call me a pessimist but I'm thinking this subforum region won't have much if any snow before Jan 1st.

hotdog.gif

Much if any snow before January 1? It's November 9 man. I'm not saying the next two weeks are anything to get excited about, because it's not...but let's see where we're at by the end of the month, looking forward of course, before making any rash judgements.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hotdog.gif

Much if any snow before January 1? It's November 9 man. I'm not saying the next two weeks are anything to get excited about, because it's not...but let's see where we're at by the end of the month before making any rash judgements.

I know but I'm thinking December ****s the bed big time with a torch and nothing but rainstormscry.gif Just my gut feeling

Ya man. Next couple of weeks look to suck. But thinking this dec won't disappoint. Liking the trends in snowpack building to the great north. It's just trying to get rid of f the unwanted +AO and pacific mild trains that is frustrating ATM.

Well it's looking like the latest teleconnection forecasts are seeing the return of a -AO and NAO around thanksgiving so maybe that sets up a colder end of Nov/Dec

Well it's looking like the latest teleconnection forecasts are seeing the return of a -AO and NAO around thanksgiving so maybe that sets up a colder end of Nov/Dec

Let's see if there's any correlation between November and December "wintriness" over the last 15 years. I'm using the subjective good/ok/bad classification.

NOV DEC

2011...BAD, BAD

2010...BAD, BAD/OK

2009...BAD, BAD

2008...GOOD, GOOD

2007...OK, GOOD

2006...BAD, BAD

2005...GOOD, GOOD

2004...BAD, OK

2003...BAD, BAD

2002...GOOD, BAD

2001...BAD, BAD

2000...BAD, GOOD

1999...BAD, BAD

1998...BAD, BAD

1997...GOOD, BAD

10/15 of those winters saw the trend established in November continue into December. So you may be onto something. What's also interesting is that over the last 15 years, I'd only say 2000, 2005 and 2008 were "front-loaded".

One caveat is that I think it's too early to put this November into the "BAD" category. Even in years when we had a "GOOD" November, most of the snow was confined to the latter half, even just the final week or 10 days.

Let's see if there's any correlation between November and December "wintriness" over the last 15 years. I'm using the subjective good/ok/bad classification.

NOV DEC

2011...BAD, BAD

2010...BAD, BAD/OK

2009...BAD, BAD

2008...GOOD, GOOD

2007...OK, GOOD

2006...BAD, BAD

2005...GOOD, GOOD

2004...BAD, OK

2003...BAD, BAD

2002...GOOD, BAD

2001...BAD, BAD

2000...BAD, GOOD

1999...BAD, BAD

1998...BAD, BAD

1997...GOOD, BAD

10/15 of those winters saw the trend established in November continue into December. So you may be onto something. What's also interesting is that over the last 15 years, I'd only say 2000, 2005 and 2008 were "front-loaded".

One caveat is that I think it's too early to put this November into the "BAD" category. Even in years when we had a "GOOD" November, most of the snow was confined to the latter half, even just the final week or 10 days.

I think you want to see something take hold around the last week of the month, a mild thanksgiving is probably a bad sign. Long range GFS shows this pattern changing around the 22nd, so that might be something to hope is true.

NOV DEC

2011...BAD, BAD

2010...BAD, BAD/OK

2009...BAD, BAD

2008...GOOD, GOOD

2007...OK, GOOD

2006...BAD, BAD

2005...GOOD, GOOD

2004...BAD, OK

2003...BAD, BAD

2002...GOOD, BAD

2001...BAD, BAD

2000...BAD, GOOD

1999...BAD, BAD

1998...BAD, BAD

1997...GOOD, BAD

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe the last 5 days or so of November we see some snow. HM (not accuweather HM) said he sees a good chance of the AO and NAO turning back negative in about a couple of weeks. Not sure if that helps our snow chances but at least it keeps it cold.

Ya man. Next couple of weeks look to suck. But thinking this dec won't disappoint. Liking the trends in snowpack building to the great north. It's just trying to get rid of f the unwanted +AO and pacific mild trains that is frustrating ATM.

^This.

Snowpack is more solid and more expansive then this time last year.

---

Can't seem to get rid of the clouds. Occasional couple minute peaks of sun every half hour or so here. Temperature 48°.

Looks like a decent rain event here Sunday, and then zzzzzzz. Better to get it out of the way now though I guess. We haven't had a decent snow event in Nov for as long as I can remember, and this one looks to be the same. The heaviest snow in Nov around here that I can remember was Thanksgiving night back in the mid 90s. Think we got 3-4". That was the Thanksgiving the Cowboys game was snowed on.

What's the weather going to be for the Bears/Texans Sunday night? Looks like that high-powered game will be affected by the cold front weather.

I hope the front is rolling through and it is raining like crazy. The Bears have a good running game hidden there and a wet field will make them show it.

Looks like a decent rain event here Sunday, and then zzzzzzz. Better to get it out of the way now though I guess. We haven't had a decent snow event in Nov for as long as I can remember, and this one looks to be the same. The heaviest snow in Nov around here that I can remember was Thanksgiving night back in the mid 90s. Think we got 3-4". That was the Thanksgiving the Cowboys game was snowed on.

The bolded times a thousand. Maybe two thousand. If we were in an active pattern now, people would be lamenting "why cant this storminess wait til Dec/Jan". Such things like "the weather in November the winter will remember" have proven so untrue lately here its not funny. This will be my 18th (wow!) winter measuring snow, and just THREE years have I seen 4"+ in November, and NONE of the winters ended up snowier than normal. On the flip side, my 3 snowiest winters had nothing special in Nov (80.7" in 2004-05, just 0.7" in Nov....78.2" in 2007-08, just 0.7" in Nov....69.4" in 2010-11, just a T in Nov).

I think you want to see something take hold around the last week of the month, a mild thanksgiving is probably a bad sign. Long range GFS shows this pattern changing around the 22nd, so that might be something to hope is true.

Thanksgiving weather means little. Our 2nd warmest Thanksgiving (tied with a few other years) was 60F set in 1981-82 before a brutally cold, snowy winter. One of our colder Thanksgivings, high of just 24F, came in 1936, which is our LEAST snowy winter on record.'

An interesting factoid....approximate historical chances of a "White" holiday (meaning 1"+ snow on the ground) at Detroit:

Thanksgiving: 15%

Christmas: 50%

Valentines Day: 75%

Already in the low to mid 70s in central/sw Iowa. Some clouds lingered in eastern Iowa this morning, but now the sun is out and the temp is quickly rising into the 60s.

Regarding November weather, I concur with several other posters. Winter weather for at least the last several Novembers has been pretty rare. At least half of recent Novembers have had only a trace of snow. Our best recent winters began in early to mid December.

Archived