Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November 2012 General Discussion

SpartyOn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One constant over the next two weeks is that GOA trough. Tough to get cold with that mother flooding the continent with Pacific air. NAO looks like it's going to go negative after the 16th per CPC, but just based on the operational GFS/EURO output the last several runs, it doesn't seem to help our cause.

Lets just hope it's not a trend.

Most of the new 12z runs show about a 100 mile wide swath of snow on the back side of the precip developing later today. This then sweeps over most of the region along and east of the Mississippi. If the 4km NAM is right we could see a 1-2hr period of decent snow this evening. Same holds true for Chicago points east late tonight into tomorrow. Something to watch at least.

Been getting gusts close to 40 here in the last hour. Sun still peeking out from time to time. Front still a good 3hrs away, so we may make a run at 70 although I don't think we'll make it.

We'll chalk this one up to the NAM being batty, but extracted text from the 12z run has 2.4" of snow for LAF. laugh.png

24 11/12 12Z 35 33 283 13 0.14 0.00 544 561 -0.9 -15.5 1021 100 SN 008OVC178 0.7 3.2

27 11/12 15Z 32 31 267 10 0.16 0.00 537 557 -3.5 -15.0 1024 100 -SN 006OVC271 1.7 0.0

Weather gonna be a factor for the Bears-Texans game tonight.

Sure is. Gonna be quite interesting. Looks like it may start warm and windy and turn very rainy/much colder. Passing game may be a bit difficult tonight, so it may come down to Foster vs Forte. The conditions may force quite a few turnovers too, so whoever benefits from that could get a big advantage.

65 here, 45 Cedar Rapids, and 33 in Des Moines. Impressive temp contrast. 2 more hours of mild/very windy conditions before the bottom falls out. popcorn.gif

EDIT: A lot of moderate to heavy rain combined with 33-34 degree temps being reported on the back side of the rain shield. Mid-level temps look to cool off all along the back side of this rain shield this afternoon, so we should start to see increasing snow reports in this zone later today.

Temperatures in the low 60s with gusty south winds, precip going to move in during the next 1-2 hours. Contrast of nearly 30 °C at 850 mb across the front, sub-freezing surface temperatures already spreading through eastern Iowa and Minnesota. Probably going to see some mixed precip on the back edge.

Gonna feel like winter tomorrow with highs around freezing.

We'll chalk this one up to the NAM being batty, but extracted text from the 12z run has 2.4" of snow for LAF. laugh.png

24 11/12 12Z 35 33 283 13 0.14 0.00 544 561 -0.9 -15.5 1021 100 SN 008OVC178 0.7 3.2

27 11/12 15Z 32 31 267 10 0.16 0.00 537 557 -3.5 -15.0 1024 100 -SN 006OVC271 1.7 0.0

The exact timing of the changeover (even a couple hours) will make a difference...at this point I think a safe cover would be to call for minor accums.

Drinking Starbucks out of their red Christmas cup and the wife has Christmas music on. Really doesn't fit the 60 degree torchy weather outside. Sigh...... When you want it cold, it's mild! When you want it mild, it's cold. F U Novemeber! And the GOA Vort can rot in hell. Cheers.

On an Indian Summer day like this, you can bet tons of people are outside putting up Christmas lights. I have been listening to Christmas music all weekend too :). November sucks especially for winter lovers because expectations are set way to high and the annual fear starts to creep in when the ground is not white. For Detroit, 61 of the 132 Novembers on record saw 1" or less of snow. November is NOT a winter month, its a month BETWEEN Fall and Winter where you are supposed to get the first TASTE of winter. Heres to some snow tomorrow!

On an Indian Summer day like this, you can bet tons of people are outside putting up Christmas lights. I have been listening to Christmas music all weekend too smile.png.

Way too windy to put up Christmas lights here! Particularly too windy to be putting them up along the roofline where I do! Usually I end up putting them up when it's about 40°.

I don't turn on Christmas music until Black Friday!

Up to 66° here now with mostly cloudy skies. Rain about 85 miles away.

Reports of light snow and "unknown precip" increasing this hour over Iowa. Ottumwa is reporting light snow at 38, which seems a bit suspect. There is some bright banding overhead so I suppose it's possible.

Extrapolating DVN radar has the front reaching here a little over an hour from now. Probably between 1:30-2. Winds still ripping out of the south currently. Still no precip today.

The exact timing of the changeover (even a couple hours) will make a difference...at this point I think a safe cover would be to call for minor accums.

I'm not as optimistic for any accumulations as you, but I will defer to your superior knowledge in this regard. A dusting would be a bonus though.

Archived