joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2012 General Discussion

SpartyOn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bold call above already made by Tropical!

Bold call: BowMe gets at least 6" of snow! lol

Seriously, I think most of us will see accumulating snow by the 15th of the month. Lake effect will be getting going within 2 weeks I'll say.

...Another call - Alek gets his freeze before the 10th! :lmao:

Ah the ever so subtle hints of panic, for the upcoming winter, begin.

Looking over the ensembles this morning...don't see a widespread torch in the long range. Normal to seasonably above, sure. Record breaking temperatures, meh. Just the same, I'd rather see the source regions develop the necessary snow cover/cold anomalies for down the road...rather than blowing its load in the lower 48 in early November. But that's just me.

Ah the ever so subtle hints of panic, for the upcoming winter, begin.

Looking over the ensembles this morning...don't see a widespread torch in the long range. Normal to seasonably above, sure. Record breaking temperatures, meh. Just the same, I'd rather see the source regions develop the necessary snow cover/cold anomalies for down the road...rather than blowing its load in the lower 48 in early November. But that's just me.

Just the same, it's getting kind of old having to wait until December for any appreciable winter weather. I used to think of November as a typically wintry month, but recent Novembers have shown basically nothing of the sort, and unfortunately the early indications of the first half of this November don't look much better.

Just the same, it's getting kind of old having to wait until December for any appreciable winter weather. I used to think of November as a typically wintry month, but recent Novembers have shown basically nothing of the sort, and unfortunately the early indications of the first half of this November don't look much better.

+100!

Same here. The Novembers I remember as a kid were usually wintry! It would be nice to have a nice 4" snowfall around Thanksgiving again!

hotdog.gif

any snow to me before thanksgiving is just bonus snows. f sake the normal high is still 46 on the 16th. If you want to think of Nov as a typically winter month you're going to have to move way NW or to Waukegan. I need a cabin the NW territories from sept-april. Summers in MKE/GL FTW....then its time to GTFO.

hotdog.gif

any snow to me before thanksgiving is just bonus snows. f sake the normal high is still 46 on the 16th. If you want to think of Nov as a typically winter month you're going to have to move way NW or to Waukegan. I need a cabin the NW territories from sept-april. Summers in MKE/GL FTW....then its time to GTFO.

Just like grandma and grandpa said winters were a lot worse/severe back in their time.

Agreed. Plus the timeframe originally discussed was the first 10 days/first half of November. The second half of the month is a different story and should be the time for realistic chances of wintry weather for most, but still favors areas north and west in the region. Alas, time will tell.

Haha - right.

They definitely weren't as many torches back in the 80s and 90s. (In November)

90's had their fair share of November torches at ORD.

45.1 in 1999 (9th warmest on record)

44.8 in 1998 (12th warmest)

44.7 in 1990 (13th warmest)

44.4 in 1994 (15th warmest)

And November average temps since 2000 at ORD.

37.0 in 2000

48.2 in 2001

37.6 in 2002

41.9 in 2003

43.7 in 2004

42.0 in 2005

42.9 in 2006

39.4 in 2007

39.3 in 2008

45.4 in 2009

41.5 in 2010

44.9 in 2011

My thoughts of November as a kid were always dark, gray, and brown...with 1 or 2 snowfalls the 2nd half of the month that would blanket the dead landscape and give me the first wonderful taste of winter. November is like an in-between-seasons month. When you think of Fall, you think of beautiful blazing foliage, however by November the trees are all bare. But when you think of winter, you think a white landscape, and thats not November either. November has NEVER been a true "winter" month, and anyone in the southern Great Lakes region who believes this....well...you are well on your way to tales youll tell your grandkids about walking uphill to school in 6 feet of snow :lol:

90's had their fair share of November torches at ORD.

45.1 in 1999 (9th warmest on record)

44.8 in 1998 (12th warmest)

44.7 in 1990 (13th warmest)

44.4 in 1994 (15th warmest)

And November average temps since 2000 at ORD.

37.0 in 2000

48.2 in 2001

37.6 in 2002

41.9 in 2003

43.7 in 2004

42.0 in 2005

42.9 in 2006

39.4 in 2007

39.3 in 2008

45.4 in 2009

41.5 in 2010

44.9 in 2011

I can't remember all the Novembers, but I've always seen Thanksgiving as the start to winter as well. Usually almost like clockwork right on or two days before or after it snows on December 1st.

Agreed. Plus the timeframe originally discussed was the first 10 days/first half of November. The second half of the month is a different story and should be the time for realistic chances of wintry weather for most, but still favors areas north and west in the region. Alas, time will tell.

I was snowmobiling just north of Lansing last year on Nov 30th! Winter seems to kick in around Thanksgiving typically, anything earlier is bonus.

Jon

Archived