• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November 2012 General Discussion

SpartyOn

Low of 28F this morning is the first hard freeze at DTW (first freeze, however, was way back Oct 11th). With this talk of sleet, I am in the group who cannot recall more than a half inch of sleet at any given time. While it would be interesting to see, and no doubt 3-4" would take a LOT to melt (basically an extra firm snowcover) Id probably be a little upset knowing that means someone near me got creamed with snow.

The thing that sticks out in my mind was that not only was it more sleet than I had ever seen on the ground, it was actually drifting.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A reversal of fortune, sort of speak, at LAF since August 1. The change to "cooler" daily departures from "warmer" departures has been rather interesting.

August 1 to November 3

Above normal: 28 days

Normal: 7 days

Below normal: 60 days

May 1 to July 31

Above normal: 63 days

Normal: 6 days

Below normal: 23 days

Double digit daily departures at LAF for both periods.

August 1 to November 3

+10 or above: 6 days

-10 or below: 13 days

May 1 to July 31

+10 or above: 20 days

-10 or below: 2 days

The thing that sticks out in my mind was that not only was it more sleet than I had ever seen on the ground, it was actually drifting.

Yeah, absolutely to the drifting. It was really surreal. On one hand it was kinda cool to experience that much sleet...but on the other, I hope I never ever see anything like it again.

BTW, I found this link yesterday: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/

Regional Snowfall Index by NCDC. It basically tries to measure/value winter storms for the eastern 2/3 of the United States, since 1900. Roughly, it's based off snowfall amounts and the area/population that was impacted. There are six regions used...Upper Midwest and Ohio Valley are the two for this sub-forum. Kinda interesting way to rank winter storms, and the first I've seen to do it outside the NESIS scale. Direct link to the rankings found here: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/societal-impacts

Had the coldest reading of the season so far at 29°. Had some ice on the pond this morning. Sun is out, which is nice given only one day this month so far has had any appreciable sunshine. Probably will end up with more clouds tomorrow as the flow comes off the lake. People in Michigan hopefully will get a break from the clouds!

Hmm, GFS is still stuck on some snow for Election night.

I had 4-5" of sleet back on April 3-5, 2003. Truly an amazing thing to see. Almost impossible to shovel and you don't even make footprints when you walk on it.

Almost impossible is right. By the morning/early afternoon on Feb 2 of GHD, it had congealed into a block of ice here. Only way to "shovel" it was with a "legit" steel shovel, breaking it into chunks and then moving it. Wow, what a PITA that was. Awful.

Yeah, absolutely to the drifting. It was really surreal. On one hand it was kinda cool to experience that much sleet...but on the other, I hope I never ever see anything like it again.

The drifting sleet out here was just amazing, 2-3' drifts of sleet. I had a lot of fun walking on top of them. It's the main reason I'm too upset over the lack of snow with GHD.

DTW high/low of 41/28 today definitely had that wintry nip in the air. It is only November 4th, so while winter wont set in tomorrow....its not a long ways away either!

Bold prediction: Many members of our subforum will see their first 1"+ snow around the 18th of Nov. Of course this is not counting Bo and our MN contributors.

Please save this post for bump trolling purposes.

DTW high/low of 41/28 today definitely had that wintry nip in the air. It is only November 4th, so while winter wont set in tomorrow....its not a long ways away either!

Last season our first 1" snowfall didn't occur until almost mid January. Not saying that will happen again, since that was extremely unusual, but given the warm pattern coming up this week winter sure feels a long way away still. Hopefully we have a very active December like we did in previous seasons before last season's disaster.

Any severe weather hopes with the weekend muggy torch?

18z GFS/12z CMC would favor areas further south on the 11th (not to mention west on the 10th) with better moisture, although I think a squall line would be possible up towards these areas with the very strong wind fields, not a very meaty chaser setup though, since anything that does develop would be flying with H7 winds in the 60-80 kt range.

The Euro is just a big ole' meh with the whole thing, with a lack of a prominent surface low.

Bold prediction: Many members of our subforum will see their first 1"+ snow around the 18th of Nov. Of course this is not counting Bo and our MN contributors.

That is about what I am thinking too!

46° for a high today. Looks like winter outside about. Oak trees have many leaves though, and some stubborn maple leaves holding on somehow. - Otherwise the trees are 95% bare.

LAF had accumulating snow last November (and numerous 1"+ events have happened in past Novembers) but as a general rule I don't really expect accumulating snow until December. Helps with not getting too anxious.

The GFS disagrees, 1 inch snow depth down to the WI/IL border. Looks like the snowpack is encroaching upon us more or less, it's supplying lots of subfreezing air for this little wave.

GFS_3_2012110418_F48_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

Timing won't be favorable, all the precip will likely be in the 12z-0z period, which is the worst time. Highs should be in the low to mid 40s, so even if there is some snow falling, it sure won't accumulate more than a trace or maybe a few tenths of an inch at best.

Timing won't be favorable, all the precip will likely be in the 12z-0z period, which is the worst time. Highs should be in the low to mid 40s, so even if there is some snow falling, it sure won't accumulate more than a trace or maybe a few tenths of an inch at best.

If there's any decent banded precipitation snow will reach the ground with this setup. That's precisely what the GFS is showing. Formation of mesoscale cold pools via evaporational cooling does wonders for the boundary layer thermal profile.

If there's any decent banded precipitation snow will reach the ground with this setup. That's precisely what the GFS is showing. Formation of mesoscale cold pools via evaporational cooling does wonders for the boundary layer thermal profile.

Not to mention I remember hearing TwisterData was not very accurate in terms of thermal profiles (too bullish on snow amounts/parameters). I don't think the banding would be very intense. Just yesterday we were looking at a tenth of an inch, although stranger things have happened I guess.

Edit: on second thought, this might not be so farfetched. Have a gander at the Skyvision Plus CBS 58 weather model (used by CBS 58's mets):

http://fox6now.com/weather/maps-and-radar/skyvision-plus/

Shows a decent period of snow inland, with mostly a mix along the lakeshore counties. It would be nice to perhaps travel inland Tuesday morning if the roads are not dicey.

Archived