CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...is the 12z GFS a real move towards the Euro?

its the first run to show the phase, even if its much later than the euro has been showing.

gfs ensembles have been trending west - so i guess it was about time the OP would get on board

So...is the 12z GFS a real move towards the Euro?

I'd say so.

The apparent agreement between the GFS ensemble mean and the Euro was a bit misleading...some of the recent ensemble means that APPEARED to show a Sandy capture/phase were actually averaging many/most of the members that popped a separate coastal that got some energy transfer from Sandy.

This run is a full-on capture of the REAL Sandy by the trough. No separate coastal popped, although it certainly looked like it was going to based on the 500mb chart.

its the first run to show the phase, even if its much later than the euro has been showing.

gfs ensembles have been trending west - so i guess it was about time the OP would get on board

That's what I was thinking. If the 12z Euro stays fairly consistent...say...with "landfall" between the Delmarva and LI...then I wouldn't be surprised at all if the GFS doesn't show an earlier phase over its next few runs.

Model prediction...meteorology for the uneducated. :D

That's what I was thinking. If the 12z Euro stays fairly consistent...say...with "landfall" between the Delmarva and LI...then I wouldn't be surprised at all if the GFS doesn't show an earlier phase over its next few runs.

Model prediction...meteorology for the uneducated. :D

I agree - GFS tried to capture Sandy earlier than it did, so I wouldnt be surprised if later GFS runs do indeed have the phase happen earlier than 12z did.

Plus if we want anything more than a breeze and some cold showers, we want that phase to happen earlier

I'd say so.

The apparent agreement between the GFS ensemble mean and the Euro was a bit misleading...some of the recent ensemble means that APPEARED to show a Sandy capture/phase were actually averaging many/most of the members that popped a separate coastal that got some energy transfer from Sandy.

This run is a full-on capture of the REAL Sandy by the trough. No separate coastal popped, although it certainly looked like it was going to based on the 500mb chart.

Much appreciated, WxUSAF.

I was reading the thread in the New England forum earlier, and there was a lot of talk about the potential for a coastal to pop, rather than the capture/phase scenario, and I wasn't really too certain where that was coming from (see my post above explaining my weather education level).

Things really are shaping up to be a pretty wild system, no matter how you slice it.

JB says "no changes" to his forecast. Except he took DC and Baltimore out of his "damaging snow threat" zone. :lol:

I want to ask again, where do we think we want this to come in for our best chance at frozen precip? From what I've seen, South Jersey looks best

Eh...definitely north of us. 0Z Euro hits Jersey, but then moves WSW for a bit, which limits our fantasy snowfall. We need to be close enough to get some moisture (I think a NH/ME hit is probably too far), but far enough north that the cold air can really get in here. Probably between Jersey and LI.

I want to ask again, where do we think we want this to come in for our best chance at frozen precip? From what I've seen, South Jersey looks best

I guess it depends on which direction it moves if/when it comes in. I would think northern jersey / LI landfall would be best if it is moving due west (unlikely but possible). Otherwise anywhere in jersey I suppose. It still comes down to the direction it's moving. Anything further W than NW would be optimal.

With that being said, I would think anywhere just along and east of the fall line stands little chance. Maybe some window dressing of falling flakes but the ground will stay green. CPS should be a little excited for back to back years of Oct snow.

I guess it depends on which direction it moves if/when it comes in. I would think northern jersey / LI landfall would be best if it is moving due west (unlikely but possible). Otherwise anywhere in jersey I suppose. It still comes down to the direction it's moving. Anything further W than NW would be optimal.

With that being said, I would think anywhere just along and east of the fall line stands little chance. Maybe some window dressing of falling flakes but the ground will stay green. CPS should be a little excited for back to back years of Oct snow.

So you mean to say those of us west of I-95/fall line have a shot at accumulating snow?

Euro fantasies aside, that is incredible.

Seems that way to me, though temps may be an issue the farther east you are until cold air gets wrapped in. But as long as it eventually tracks somewhere into southern NY or so, we should get precip.

So you mean to say those of us west of I-95/fall line have a shot at accumulating snow?

Euro fantasies aside, that is incredible.

Heh, I guess if the setup was spot on perfect I suppose. I would think areas like Parr's and mt vortmax would be the southern extent if everything came together just right but that is really just a wag.

We probably need to be pretty far from the center with hardcore N-NW flow to stand a chance. That's what makes it so interesting to me. We suck at wraparound snow for a multitude of reasons. Downsloping being the big culprit. Then add orographics to the north wringing the everything out before the downsloping even starts.

However, a storm this strong moving in a very odd westerly (even wsw if you believe some of the models) would be just about as perfect as you could get for snow wrapping around to make it this far south.

Archived