• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

In all seriousness...if the euro holds serve and the gfs continues its migration then I guess I gotta go out and get propane and fill the gas cans for the generator.

Even a LI landfall would = pretty ridiculous winds for an extended period down this way. This could make the derecho power outages look a bit small in comparison. I doubt most of us would suffer much worse then some trees down and power out. But it could be another one of those cases where the power is out for a week in some spots. Crews can't start working on power outages until winds are below 25mph. If ex sandy does crawl westward winds could be up for days.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the gfs is likely wrong. I keep going back to what agnes did with an upper low. I don't know whether the new euro and gfdl which take the storm and track it just north of us are right. They seem to be extreme solution but when almost every ensemble member from all the different centers are saying a hit somewhere from the mid atlantic to new england is going to get hit. It's pretty wise to start talking about amjor impacts as this storm is likely to have them even if the pressures are forecast quite a bit too low.

You're probably right I tend to never believe in anomalous storms. Although my critique a few days ago might be good.. That there was no resin to say it was going to miss 7 days out.

This is the first time I've ever considered getting a generator. The derecho was a nightmare and changed my perception on losing power, and with a 6-plus-month pregnant wife, I'd hate to be without power for an extended time.

But I looked into generators and realized that 1) they're really expensive and 2) I have no idea what to do with one.

This is the first time I've ever considered getting a generator. The derecho was a nightmare and changed my perception on losing power, and with a 6-plus-month pregnant wife, I'd hate to be without power for an extended time.

But I looked into generators and realized that 1) they're really expensive and 2) I have no idea what to do with one.

I know what you mean. We won't get a generator, but I've already told my boss that if Monday/Tuesday look bad rain/wind wise, I wouldn't be driving into work.

They are expensive but simple to use. If you do get one make sure you get a minimum 4k watts. Enough to keep a fridge and icebox cold AND run a 60" plasma with home theater + wifi for all the gadgets. They are as simple as pulling a cord and plugging in extension cords.

I run a cord to my favorite neighbor's house too so they can alternate between fridge and TV too. Just avoid things like hairdryers, space heaters, and toaster/microwaves and you would be surprised at how much you can juice up with little problems.

I have a big family so I have a dedicated icebox with literally $1k worth of meat in it. I couldn't stand the stress anymore. Too much at stake. I tried dry ice a couple times but it sucked. Now that I have juice I couldn't imagine Pepco life without one.

Archived