• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

They are expensive but simple to use. If you do get one make sure you get a minimum 4k watts. Enough to keep a fridge and icebox cold AND run a 60" plasma with home theater + wifi for all the gadgets. They are as simple as pulling a cord and plugging in extension cords.

I run a cord to my favorite neighbor's house too so they can alternate between my Beer Meister and TV too. Just avoid things like hairdryers, space heaters, and toaster/microwaves and you would be surprised at how much you can juice up with little problems.

I have a big family so I have a dedicated icebox with literally $1k worth of meat in it. I couldn't stand the stress anymore. Too much at stake. I tried dry ice a couple times but it sucked. Now that I have juice I couldn't imagine Pepco life without one.

fixed

yeah, generators are very simple really. like bob said, you need to stay focused on the priorities of having one.

edit to add- If you go buy a generator, make sure you have a Fire Extinguisher. ABC Multi-class, good for most in or around your home!

and while i'm at it, y'all better make sure your smoke dectors work too!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are expensive but simple to use. If you do get one make sure you get a minimum 4k watts. Enough to keep a fridge and icebox cold AND run a 60" plasma with home theater + wifi for all the gadgets. They are as simple as pulling a cord and plugging in extension cords.

I run a cord to my favorite neighbor's house too so they can alternate between fridge and TV too. Just avoid things like hairdryers, space heaters, and toaster/microwaves and you would be surprised at how much you can juice up with little problems.

I have a big family so I have a dedicated icebox with literally $1k worth of meat in it. I couldn't stand the stress anymore. Too much at stake. I tried dry ice a couple times but it sucked. Now that I have juice I couldn't imagine Pepco life without one.

I know they usually have a plug or two on them, but I wasn't sure how to connect everything to it. Do you just run a heavy duty extension cord from it and connect the cord to a power strip?

Hah! One of the key supplies for any power outage is a pile of beer. I like mine on ice during outages. Just park the big azz coleman next to the couch with a 30 pack or two and enjoy life. In a weird way my family enjoys power outages. We just all hang together and goof off.

lol, mine too. My sister lives next door and my nephews and their families within a couple blocks. During Irene, we had a huge ass gathering in our garage.

Generator buying guide:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_362846262_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000422531&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=1RZXGX1E0QGR53SMHN9F&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1365080282&pf_rd_i=B001RCTD8K

I bought one last year for Lee/Irene when I was having window well flooding issues. Of course, as luck would have it, we lost power for a grand total of 1 hour. Which kind of irked me because I didn't get as good of a generator as I'd want since my shipping options were slim that late in the game (and all the local stores were sold out). Then again, I only lost power for an hour so I guess I shouldn't complain

I know they usually have a plug or two on them, but I wasn't sure how to connect everything to it. Do you just run a heavy duty extension cord from it and connect the cord to a power strip?

Extension cords, or some people have an electrician set up a bypass system so they can use one plug to handle the essentials. Useful if you are going to try and keep the furnace going. My neighbor got one of those whole house systems. Loud and obnoxious, but it works.

Yep, it's that simple. Most generators have a minimum of 2 plugs. Just divide up the juice. The generator will tell you when you are hitting it too hard. It bogs a bit and can throw the breaker. Just press the button and unplug something. An easy way to think about it is having one live 2 plug wall outlet when everything else is down.

Generators are idiot proof too. You can't do anything wrong...well, unless you are such an idiot that you set it up in your family room...

Archived