Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Sandy - LIVE - Meteorological Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone should be cautious on term usage here. Remember this storm is still very much warm core... the question is where does the tropical/post-tropical line occur with respect to the type of warm seclusion that is expected with this storm? Or will there be a split difference with a subtropical declaration?

72 hours doesn't look weak.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 26/2100Z 27.3N 77.1W 65 KT 75 MPH

12H 27/0600Z 28.3N 77.0W 60 KT 70 MPH

24H 27/1800Z 29.7N 76.1W 55 KT 65 MPH

36H 28/0600Z 31.3N 74.3W 55 KT 65 MPH

48H 28/1800Z 33.1N 72.6W 65 KT 75 MPH

72H 29/1800Z 37.0N 71.5W 70 KT 80 MPH

96H 30/1800Z 39.5N 76.5W 55 KT 65 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP

120H 31/1800Z 41.0N 77.0W 40 KT 45 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP

It's dry, windy, and quite chilly in Miami (for our standards). In fact it has gotten windier as the day has gone on, with the winds currently as strong as they have been at any time during the Sandy's pass (outside of the heaviest outer bands). Tonight we may dip below 70 degrees for the first time since April 26th!

That seems to suggest that Sandy is pulling in increasingly cooler and drier air, and that the wind field is expanding. It appears that Sandy's interaction with the subtropical jet helped to speed up extratropical transition. However, as others have said, it has not lost its warm core, and it will not lose its warm core until it is very close to landfall. When it occludes, the wind shear near the center should decrease and there is the potential for convection to surround the center again. So even with the big comma cloud, Sandy is still worthy of tropical or subtropical designation.

i'm thinking what NHC might do is at some point make sandy a sub-tropical storm/hurricane to keep it in their hands and keep public awareness up, while putting out of the signals of a transformation going on to make it extra-tropical. the phase diagrams from several models (as seen in other threads), are saying mainly warm core. but the image of the storm on satellite and from some of the reports are saying otherwise. so from a logistic and public standpoint, it eventually will probably their best way to balance everything out. it may cause people like me to have to explain the difference in that classification, but i'll do that to keep the awareness up for what will still be quite nasty, no matter what technical form.

mind you that's my thoughts, not sure about anyone else's.

Archived