• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Sandy - LIVE - Meteorological Discussion

Guest Imperator

Still no new tropical watches....interesting.

Their latest discussion doesn't even clarify if their ever going to even issue tropical storm or hurricane watches from Delaware northward.

FIRST A NOTE ON THE NWS WARNING STRATEGY FOR SANDY. IN ORDER TO

AVOID THE RISK OF A HIGHLY DISRUPTIVE CHANGE FROM TROPICAL TO

NON-TROPICAL WARNINGS WHEN SANDY BECOMES POST-TROPICAL...THE WIND

HAZARD NORTH OF THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING AREA WILL CONTINUE TO BE

CONVEYED THROUGH HIGH WIND WATCHES AND WARNINGS WARNINGS ISSUED BY

LOCAL NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICES.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no new tropical watches....interesting.

Their latest discussion doesn't even clarify if their ever going to even issue tropical storm or hurricane watches from Delaware northward.

My understanding is the NHC will not be doing this and are passing the storm over to local weather

Which seems to imply Hurricane / Tropical Storm watches will never be issued even though they fit the parameters....only High Wind Watches.

Watches are suppose to be issued 48 hours in advance...several models have TS force winds starting within 48 hours.

My understanding is the NHC will not be doing this and are passing the storm over to local weather

what the.....

sandy starting to improve her structure. You can see on water vapor some of the dry air that has been getting entrenched into the system is moving to the east. As this is occurring, convection is firing around the western eyewall and it LOOKS to be trying to wrap around the center. Sandy is going to show us whats shes got over the next 18-24 hrs.

I don't blame the NHC for doing it this way. This thing isn't going to have even a remotely-tropical structure as it nears the coast, and NHC products aren't designed for a 1,000-mi-wide system without a core.

Yea, you'd have TS warnings over like 65% of the eastern seaboard.

Yea, you'd have TS warnings over like 65% of the eastern seaboard.

So what, now you have high wind warnings over 65% of the eastern seaboard? Does High Wind Warning carry the same impact as tropical storm warning or hurricane warning? Tell an ordinary person your under a high wind warning and see how they respond. Do the same thing except tell them it's a hurricane warning.

These warnings are all about stirring the general public to action. I think in this case the strongest wording should be used, regardless of whether it's "technically" a hybrid or not.

NHC is making the best decision they can, given the hand they have been dealt. The storm's primary impacts (mid-Atlantic / NYC / New England) will occur after the post-tropical transition -- I don't think anyone disagrees with that point. Because of that, NHC is going to have to end tropical cyclone products at some point while the storm is still over water. Unless NHC were to completely ignore science, to the extent of intentionally misclassifying a major weather system for a period of at least a couple days, the "keep it tropical" option is off the table.

Procedurally, that leaves them with two options:

1) Issue the standard suite of tropical watches and warnings, which would force the WFOs to issue their standard suite of tropical inland products (HLS, etc.) -- and then arbitrarily force the entire eastern seaboard to switch product types in a day or two once the post-tropical transition is completed.

2) Decide ahead of time to go with WFO-based products for the duration of the event.

Choosing option 2 is the simplest approach, and requires the least amount of heartburn in the critical period a day or so before Sandy hits. It also allows those who are disgruntled in the media to vent their frustrations a couple days before impact, hopefully getting it out of their systems before the situation grows more dire.

Semi-related: here is NWS Directive 10-601 for reference.

Guest Imperator

So what, now you have high wind warnings over 65% of the eastern seaboard? Does High Wind Warning carry the same impact as tropical storm warning or hurricane warning? Tell an ordinary person your under a high wind warning and see how they respond. Do the same thing except tell them it's a hurricane warning.

These warnings are all about stirring the general public to action. I think in this case the strongest wording should be used, regardless of whether it's "technically" a hybrid or not.

I think this argument is partially valid in terms of public awareness but I also think theres a bit of ego among our posters (and media) in the NE that they are not getting an official TS or Hurricane watch/warning. What if this storm wasn't a hurricane to begin with? Would it be given the same hype it is being given now even though it wont be a tropical system by the time it gets up here?

I have to totally agree with this...no disrespect intended to Tony, the Mt. Holly crew, or anyone at NHC.

I don't think a high wind warning and a flood watch carry the same, shall we say, urgency, as a hurricane warning. Scientifically, it's the right thing to do. As far as the public is concerned, I don't think this is the best course of action in the long run.

NHC is making the best decision they can, given the hand they have been dealt. The storm's primary impacts (mid-Atlantic / NYC / New England) will occur after the post-tropical transition -- I don't think anyone disagrees with that point. Because of that, NHC is going to have to end tropical cyclone products at some point while the storm is still over water. Unless NHC were to completely ignore science, to the extent of intentionally misclassifying a major weather system for a period of at least a couple days, the "keep it tropical" option is off the table.

Procedurally, that leaves them with two options:

1) Issue the standard suite of tropical watches and warnings, which would force the WFOs to issue their standard suite of tropical inland products (HLS, etc.) -- and then arbitrarily force the entire eastern seaboard to switch product types in a day or two once the post-tropical transition is completed.

2) Decide ahead of time to go with WFO-based products for the duration of the event.

Choosing option 2 is the simplest approach, and requires the least amount of heartburn in the critical period a day or so before Sandy hits. It also allows those who are disgruntled in the media to vent their frustrations a couple days before impact, hopefully getting it out of their systems before the situation grows more dire.

Semi-related: here is NWS Directive 10-601 for reference.

Why not use both? I agree with not switching products but I just hope people don't look at an NHC map and say that tropical storm warnings only extend to such and such...must mean we're in the clear and all we get is a little wind and rain.

watch for a build in convection over the next 12-24 hours. Shear decreased to a reasonable 20-25 kt over the center- bad but not AS bad. Flare up of convection should wrap around the center and there should be a slow increase in convection to the east of the center where a majority of the dry air is. Right now, its dry air vs. sandy. Dry air picked up to a point where it didnt even show up on the WV, but sandy's fighting like a champ.

post-4330-0-69136600-1351379270_thumb.pn

Wow, I know they want to get out to sea but this is going to be just wild!

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

OCTOBER 29, 2012

October 27, 2012

We know you must be looking forward to your cruise on Monday and are anxiously awaiting news regarding the impact of Hurricane Sandy.

We've been closely monitoring the storm and keeping in contact with port officials in New York. They have informed us that the port is expected to be closed on Monday. In an effort to continue with your cr...

uise and keep safely away from the storm, we will now depart on Sunday, October 28.

Check-in for your cruise will take place from 2:00PM to 5:00PM, and sailing is set for 6:00 PM from Pier 90.

In addition, our supplies (food, beverages, etc…) were planned to be delivered on Monday, per our original schedule. Unfortunately, we were unable to make arrangements to bring them in early on Sunday. This means, in order for us to get the provisions needed by the first port, we will need to modify our itinerary. No worries, we definitely have enough supplies to last us till then.

Below is the revised itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

SUN New York, NY 6:00 PM

MON Fun Day @ Sea

TUE Fun Day @ Sea

WED Port Canaveral, FL 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

THU Nassau, The Bahamas 11:00 AM 8:00 PM

FRI Fun Day @ Sea

SAT Grand Turk 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

SUN Fun Day @ Sea

Mon Fun Day @ Sea

Tue New York, NY 8:00 AM

Sandy has been really pushing the dry air out over the last few hours.

That pitiful little CDO that she's built over the last few hours may just be doing its job but I don't think it will wrap itself up, from now on out it still looks like its gonna be one big spiral coming up the coast.

Wow, I know they want to get out to sea but this is going to be just wild!

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

OCTOBER 29, 2012

October 27, 2012

We know you must be looking forward to your cruise on Monday and are anxiously awaiting news regarding the impact of Hurricane Sandy.

We've been closely monitoring the storm and keeping in contact with port officials in New York. They have informed us that the port is expected to be closed on Monday. In an effort to continue with your cr...

uise and keep safely away from the storm, we will now depart on Sunday, October 28.

Check-in for your cruise will take place from 2:00PM to 5:00PM, and sailing is set for 6:00 PM from Pier 90.

In addition, our supplies (food, beverages, etc…) were planned to be delivered on Monday, per our original schedule. Unfortunately, we were unable to make arrangements to bring them in early on Sunday. This means, in order for us to get the provisions needed by the first port, we will need to modify our itinerary. No worries, we definitely have enough supplies to last us till then.

Below is the revised itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

SUN New York, NY 6:00 PM

MON Fun Day @ Sea

TUE Fun Day @ Sea

WED Port Canaveral, FL 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

THU Nassau, The Bahamas 11:00 AM 8:00 PM

FRI Fun Day @ Sea

SAT Grand Turk 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

SUN Fun Day @ Sea

Mon Fun Day @ Sea

Tue New York, NY 8:00 AM

I saw a wave map for 8pm Monday, and south of NYC is expecting 45 foot waves. I guess that could be a "fun day @ sea" Sounds like an amusement park ride.

Archived