Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy - LIVE - Meteorological Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised how decent the structure still looks. Very interesting!

Given that it's still looking essentially tropical, I, too, am starting to wonder if it's going to make that structural transition to extratropical before landfall-- and, if it doesn't, how that's going to be handled.

Really burning with curiosity Re: how this whole thing is going to play out.

I'm surprised how decent the structure still looks. Very interesting!

Given that it's still looking essentially tropical, I, too, am starting to wonder if it's going to make that structural transition to extratropical before landfall-- and, if it doesn't, how that's going to be handled.

Really burning with curiosity Re: how this whole thing is going to play out.

Its worth noting that the storm is still over 26-27 degree C water temperatures and will for the next 12-24 hours (and these may warm slightly as the storm crosses the Gulf Stream which is still off to its north). I wouldn't expect any rapid extra-tropical transition until the hours leading towards landfall (late tomorrow evening) as the storm crosses a very strong SST gradient to the coastline.

Its worth noting that the storm is still over 26-27 degree C water temperatures and will for the next 12-24 hours (and these may warm slightly as the storm crosses the Gulf Stream which is still off to its north). I wouldn't expect any rapid extra-tropical transition until the hours leading towards landfall (late tomorrow evening) as the storm crosses a very strong SST gradient to the coastline.

And the latest NHC forecast (posted by yoda) shows it as a tropical hurricane onshore. Hmmmm. There now seems to be a bit of a contradiction between the forecast and the warnings.

From the 5 pm disco

A TRANSITION TO AN EXTRATROPICAL

CYCLONE IS EXPECTED AT OR SHORTLY BEFORE LANDFALL. HOWEVER...THIS

TRANSITION WILL NOT DIMINISH THE OVERALL IMPACTS OF THIS DANGEROUS

WEATHER SYSTEM.

Beating a dead horse I know... but really would have been easier with tropical warnings...

There hasn't been much support for anything other than a warm-core landfall over the past few days.

Warm core cyclone does not equal tropical cyclone. GFS is persistent on extratropical transition being in its latter stages by the time landfall occurs, it will progress quickly once Sandy crosses north of the Gulf Stream.

Trust me, I have the utmost respect for them and they are the experts... its just I disagree with them, especially when in their disco they say it will make the transition AT landfall

Don't follow them then. You didn't just disagree with them, you we're annoyed with them. You somehow took it personal.

Serious, why do weenies follow and count on these agencies night and day, then when a slip up occurs they sink their "righteous" teeth in? Just comical as hell is all.

Sorry for the derail...

Ha, knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.

The NHC has never issued hurricane warnings for an extra-tropical cyclone, they're not going to break one of their most basic rules for the sake of keeping the public hyped up. Sandy will undoubtedly be largely baroclinic upon landfall throughout the outer vortex, besides a small core with tropical cyclone like characteristics. If they call that a hurricane and issue hurricane warnings for it then we better start issuing advisories for Polar Lows/Blizzards with warm cores in the Atlantic and East Pacific. I think that would be a good idea since they're dynamically similar, but this isn't the right time to make that decision.

You're beating up a straw man here. The NHC has also never not had a Hurricane Watch or Warning out for a hurricane that is 24-48 hours from landfall... they've already broken their basic rules... and we aren't talking about polar vortices... this is a hurricane, plan and simple. Don't try to cloud the discussion with nonsense.

Warm core cyclone does not equal tropical cyclone. GFS is persistent on extratropical transition being in its latter stages by the time landfall occurs, it will progress quickly once Sandy crosses north of the Gulf Stream.

I agree later stages, but complete? I don't think so, not until after landfall.

So am I using this incorrectly then?

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/gfs/fcst/archive/12102812/2.html

That would appear to me that Sandy is warm core until she is over land

This will be a great case to look back on and formulate some new standards for anything like this in the future.

Well, let's first see if the actual warnings prove inadequate. While we in the weather community are quibbling over technicalities, on a broad scale, it looks to me like everyone's clear that a big storm is coming, and measures are being taken.

So am I using this incorrectly then?

http://moe.met.fsu.e...12102812/2.html

That would appear to me that Sandy is warm core until she is over land

Like turtle said, warm core does not equal tropical cyclone.

That phase diagram in fact shows that Sandy is quite asymmetric, which is a sign of extratropical storms. It sort of has features of both right now, and that will continue through landfall.

IMO any storm of tropical origin that maintains hurricane intensity in its subtropical or post-tropical phase while threatening land should be treated as a hurricane. We're talking about a public perception and response issue here, which was clearly slowed down because this storm was not maintained as a hurricane to landfall. Time to get off the pure science and bureaucratic soapboxes and get on the saving lives and property soapbox.

Imagine a 1938-like storm heading toward Long Island, undergoing post-tropical transition yet maintaining winds of Cat 3 intensity in its warm seclusion. Everyone knows what should be done in that situation. Heck, even this storm might produce wind gusts just shy of Cat 2 intensity on Long Island during and right after NJ landfall!

Well, let's first see if the actual warning prove inadequate. While we in the weather community are quibbling over technicalities, on a broad scale, it looks to me like everyone's clear that a big storm is coming, and measures are being taken.

That's what I'm hoping is the media focus afterward, rather than what NHC did or didn't do (especially if it ends up landfalling as a TC). I've been following the NWS offices in that area and they've done an excellent job with their forecasts, warnings, and outreach efforts to get people to do the right thing.

Archived