Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Sandy - LIVE - Meteorological Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The National Hurricane Center mentioned in a discussion yesterday that the wind ratio was unusual with surface winds actually higher than FL winds. Is that number you presented the average ratio for tropical systems or the specific number for this storm?

No... I had read around the forums that 70% to 80% was a good reduction from 850mb winds from the pro mets

I hope the mayor will announce evacuations tomorrow morning to begin tomorrow afternoon. It will be cutting things close and hopefully things go smoothly. Some residents will be smart to evacuate asap regardless of if there is an official evacuation order.

Did anyone else see Mayor Bloomberg basically downplay the storm?

http://tinyurl.com/8tyl9nz

Personally, I found some similarities to Mayor Ray Nagin before Hurricane Katrina in 2005. He downplayed the event until it got so close that it was obvious that it poses a significant/catastrophic risk.

Disclaimer: The two similarities end there. I don't expect a repeat of Katrina, nor am I advertising that.

Personally, I found some similarities to Mayor Ray Nagin before Hurricane Katrina in 2005. He downplayed the event until it got so close that it was obvious that it poses a significant/catastrophic risk.

Disclaimer: The two similarities end there. I don't expect a repeat of Katrina, nor am I advertising that.

That's a pretty weak parallel. C'mon. The previous situation was a Cat-5 hurricane approaching a city below sea level. The current situation is a nor'easter impacting I95 cities.

I feel like there's a lot of crying wolf about this system. I'm not suggesting it won't have impact or be destructive, but people are just going really over-the-top about this.

That's a pretty weak parallel. C'mon. The previous situation was a Cat-5 hurricane approaching a city below sea level. The current situation is a nor'easter impacting I95 cities.

I feel like there's a lot of crying wolf about this system. I'm not suggesting it won't have impact or be destructive, but people are just going really over-the-top about this.

Impact-wise, you may or may not be right.

But I have a tough time downplaying this, since, just from a meteorological perspective, I don't think we've ever seen anything like this in modern times. It's certainly not "just a nor'easter", which would imply it's a common event.

But I have a tough time downplaying this, since, just from a meteorological perspective, I don't think we've ever seen anything like this in modern times. It's certainly not "just a nor'easter", which would imply it's a common event.

+1. Was too much to write from mobile but you said it for me. Thanks.

I agree. and like i dont want to alarm anyone but, this cyclone was not even apos to deepen up till not according to models. if it's 960mb now, one can imagine the models being conservative when they post 952mb landfalls. i think this system will surprise many.

Archived