• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
I may entertain taking someone on a LES snow event chase

stormitecture

I am not absolutely sure, but I am thinking of keeping a seat open for someone who might want to tag along on a Lake Effects snow chase/intercept. Mostly thinking safety. I am not as young as I use to be and noticing (esp. during my Isaac intercept) that I can't push the hours like I use to. it is really helpful to have someone to talk to, maybe even drive some (not likely, but maybe).

I'm not a tour guide, the chase direction and decisions are made by me, for my business. However, I can't see why some of you might still be interested in coming along. Split of gas and hotel (if hotel is booked/used) is part of the deal. My Jeep is NOT gas thrifty.

I'll likely be in my lifted Jeep so deep snow won't be an issue. Some digging out might be required though as with any snow event is unpredictable road wise. Also, don't expect much in the way of heat inside the truck, as I keep it cool so the cameras don't fog up in the cold.

Just throwing the note out there, gauge interest, see what folks think.

Ellinwood...you said no interest in going right? Ian?

I am not absolutely sure, but I am thinking of keeping a seat open for someone who might want to tag along on a Lake Effects snow chase/intercept. Mostly thinking safety. I am not as young as I use to be and noticing (esp. during my Isaac intercept) that I can't push the hours like I use to. it is really helpful to have someone to talk to, maybe even drive some (not likely, but maybe).

I'm not a tour guide, the chase direction and decisions are made by me, for my business. However, I can't see why some of you might still be interested in coming along. Split of gas and hotel (if hotel is booked/used) is part of the deal. My Jeep is NOT gas thrifty.

I'll likely be in my lifted Jeep so deep snow won't be an issue. Some digging out might be required though as with any snow event is unpredictable road wise. Also, don't expect much in the way of heat inside the truck, as I keep it cool so the cameras don't fog up in the cold.

Just throwing the note out there, gauge interest, see what folks think.

Ellinwood...you said no interest in going right? Ian?

Lol...good luck finding people who want to chase snow and split the cost, but do not want to be part of a collaborative effort when it comes to decision making....

What is your business?

covering/filming severe weather, stock footage, etc.

Lol...good luck finding people who want to chase snow and split the cost, but do not want to be part of a collaborative effort when it comes to decision making....

It isn't that big of a deal. I just do certain things based on getting footage and making money. I'm not saying I would shutdown conversations about the best options, conditions, models, radar, etc. I just want to be 100% up front why I am going. I just not into arguing about decisions.

so, basically you want a slave?

In no way. Actually more like a tag-along. Really don't have to do much. Really just looking for a wx geek like me to keep it exciting and safe.

covering/filming severe weather, stock footage, etc.

It isn't that big of a deal. I just do certain things based on getting footage and making money. I'm not saying I would shutdown conversations about the best options, conditions, models, radar, etc. I just want to be 100% up front why I am going. I just not into arguing about decisions.

In no way. Actually more like a tag-along. Really don't have to do much. Really just looking for a wx geek like me to keep it exciting and safe.

How do you run a profit off of just filming severe weather and compiling stock footage? What exactly are your qualifications in the meteorology/chasing world?

How do you run a profit off of just filming severe weather and compiling stock footage? What exactly are your qualifications in the meteorology/chasing world?

Been doing this since 1990s. Winter probably longer than others, but Tornadoes since 1997, Hurricanes since 2003 (not counting a non-landfalling Michelle in the FL Keys in 2001). I know I may not have a huge presence on AmWx, but I've been around a while. Sorry if I don't outline the means of making a profit. That is something you have to figure out yourself....other than it takes a lot of hard work, lots of time, lots of money.

Meteorology wise I am self taught, but not to any serious level (note no colored tag on my name). I know enough to be safe, understand the important aspects of short term elements. I have almost zero need for long term forecasting in Winter. I enjoy reading some of the forecasting, but it is NOT the focus for me. I am a person who seeks the human impact of the storm. I focus on the visual aspects. I have very strong nowcasting (and nearcasting as my own invented term), but with winter it isn't a huge issue. That skill mostly comes into play with tornado and severe weather chasing.

How about you pay ME for coming along and helping YOU. Or let me drink beer that you buy along with my dinner.

Ah no....why the hell would I pay you. You aren't helping me. If I was gonna pay someone it would be for actual help with filming, equipment, editing, etc. I am just looking for someone to ride along. I didn't pay Ian or Ellinwood when we chased, they both paid their share. It is the excepted way chasers do it. I don't see why this is so difficult for people.

Grew up in NW OH and while we did not always get it like Cleveland or NY we did occasionally get hit with LES. Have also driven The OH turnpike around Cleveland in it too many times to count. Let's just say not fun.

That sounds like tons of fun to me. Granted not sure exactly what aspects you found to be "not fun". Having been through a few major events over the years, I love the challenge.

Ah no....why the hell would I pay you. You aren't helping me. If I was gonna pay someone it would be for actual help with filming, equipment, editing, etc. I am just looking for someone to ride along. I didn't pay Ian or Ellinwood when we chased, they both paid their share. It is the excepted way chasers do it. I don't see why this is so difficult for people.

I think it was just misunderstood in some ways. Though I can't see too much argument about LES chasing. It's like--we want to see snow... let's go to the middle of of the one big band! Considering I only barely knew you and Mark prior to the first Plains trip it was pretty painless and this year even less so perhaps.

Just saw this thread...

I would love to go with you Jason, just only one condition... I cannot go before Dec. 17 and after Jan. 27th, because of school being active. Plus the days around Christmas. I know it limits options and especially when its a time when LES season is winding down but just putting it out there.

Been doing this since 1990s. Winter probably longer than others, but Tornadoes since 1997, Hurricanes since 2003 (not counting a non-landfalling Michelle in the FL Keys in 2001). I know I may not have a huge presence on AmWx, but I've been around a while. Sorry if I don't outline the means of making a profit. That is something you have to figure out yourself....other than it takes a lot of hard work, lots of time, lots of money.

Meteorology wise I am self taught, but not to any serious level (note no colored tag on my name). I know enough to be safe, understand the important aspects of short term elements. I have almost zero need for long term forecasting in Winter. I enjoy reading some of the forecasting, but it is NOT the focus for me. I am a person who seeks the human impact of the storm. I focus on the visual aspects. I have very strong nowcasting (and nearcasting as my own invented term), but with winter it isn't a huge issue. That skill mostly comes into play with tornado and severe weather chasing.

That sounds like tons of fun to me. Granted not sure exactly what aspects you found to be "not fun". Having been through a few major events over the years, I love the challenge.

People are ragging on you because your "advertisement" made it sound like a pretty bad experience. Being trapped in the passenger seat of an unheated Jeep with zero input as you drive around rural NY State worrying if you will get tired out and fall asleep.

I think it was just misunderstood in some ways. Though I can't see too much argument about LES chasing. It's like--we want to see snow... let's go to the middle of of the one big band! Considering I only barely knew you and Mark prior to the first Plains trip it was pretty painless and this year even less so perhaps.

Not misunderstood, he just came across all douchey.......like we work for him.....but we have to...pay....him........

Pretty much. There isnt much sophisticated about LES chasing. Find the good bands. Be sensible about driving. Head for the lake for one experience and head for the hills when radar looks sparse because they are usually getting raked. Also focus on the high average lollipopd as they are usually getting better rates. That's it. Easy stuff. Not sure how Jason plans his strategy but nothing would be worse than skipping a 5"/hr band in favor of some video opportunity or impact tour. If I didbt already know you went chasing with him twice and had a good experience, his description sounds like an unfun jail sentence.

Not sure about LES unless there is an epic outbreak but I'd be down for upslope this winter. With the new highway tucker county is easily accessible in under 3 hours and we have a place in Davis to stay for a discount if Jon Jon is cool with it.

Pretty much. There isnt much sophisticated about LES chasing. Find the good bands. Be sensible about driving. Head for the lake for one experience and head for the hills when radar looks sparse because they are usually getting raked. Also focus on the high average lollipopd as they are usually getting better rates. That's it. Easy stuff. Not sure how Jason plans his strategy but nothing would be worse than skipping a 5"/hr band in favor of some video opportunity or impact tour. If I didbt already know you went chasing with him twice and had a good experience, his description sounds like an unfun jail sentence.

Not sure about LES unless there is an epic outbreak but I'd be down for upslope this winter. With the new highway tucker county is easily accessible in under 3 hours and we have a place in Davis to stay for a discount if Jon Jon is cool with it.

I almost went up there once last year-- I'd love to catch a good upslope!

Yeah that Corridor H is a sweet highway. 66 to 81 to 48 west. Pretty easy ride. I would be up for a gtg chase out at Jon Jon's, that would be pretty sweet and a lot of fun. but it would have to be one helluva event to go.

What is not fun is driving in white out conditions on a 3 lane highway and not being able to see 2 ft. in front of you looking for any red break lights you can find. I know how to drive in snow, grew up driving in it but even I know when you need to just pull off. If you want to drive in an LES event kudos to you. But I personally find other things more enjoyable.

As far as being tons of fun and a challenge, that statement sounds similar to something I was told by an older couple. When asked why they came out after an 8 in. event they replied... To prove we could still drive in it. Sorry there is nothing to prove as far as I am concerned.

What is not fun is driving in white out conditions on a 3 lane highway and not being able to see 2 ft. in front of you looking for any red break lights you can find. I know how to drive in snow, grew up driving in it but even I know when you need to just pull off. If you want to drive in an LES event kudos to you. But I personally find other things more enjoyable.

As far as being tons of fun and a challenge, that statement sounds similar to something I was told by an older couple. When asked why they came out after an 8 in. event they replied... To prove we could still drive in it. Sorry there is nothing to prove as far as I am concerned.

Driving in peak LES banding is absolutely terrifying. I have driven in a ton of snow in my life but the time I was actually terrified was in western New York in an unexpected multi-band event. I wasn't chasing, just trying to get to Buffalo to visit some friends going up to Niagara Falls for the weekend. Ran into the band just before Rochester, NY and I couldn't see more than 10-20 feet in front of me. I had to be something like 6-8" per hour snow. I've been in 3-4" per hour many times and that is very difficult to drive in, but can be done for the most part if you are really concentrating...this was almost suicidal.

The road had reflectors on each side of it which is the only way I was able to avoid driving off the highway into a 10 foot ditch. In LES, you just have to keep driving though...its not like a thunderstorm where you can pull over and wait for it to pass. The band could be rotting over you for hours, so your best bet is to try and drive through it...which is a tough thing to do when you can't see anything.

Driving in peak LES banding is absolutely terrifying. I have driven in a ton of snow in my life but the time I was actually terrified was in western New York in an unexpected multi-band event. I wasn't chasing, just trying to get to Buffalo to visit some friends going up to Niagara Falls for the weekend. Ran into the band just before Rochester, NY and I couldn't see more than 10-20 feet in front of me. I had to be something like 6-8" per hour snow. I've been in 3-4" per hour many times and that is very difficult to drive in, but can be done for the most part if you are really concentrating...this was almost suicidal.

The road had reflectors on each side of it which is the only way I was able to avoid driving off the highway into a 10 foot ditch. In LES, you just have to keep driving though...its not like a thunderstorm where you can pull over and wait for it to pass. The band could be rotting over you for hours, so your best bet is to try and drive through it...which is a tough thing to do when you can't see anything.

To me, the windy times are worst than the just killer squalls-- which can be very calm other than the snowfall.

Just saw this thread...

I would love to go with you Jason, just only one condition... I cannot go before Dec. 17 and after Jan. 27th, because of school being active. Plus the days around Christmas. I know it limits options and especially when its a time when LES season is winding down but just putting it out there.

Yeah man...if the LES machine isn't shutdown yet, those are good times.

People are ragging on you because your "advertisement" made it sound like a pretty bad experience. Being trapped in the passenger seat of an unheated Jeep with zero input as you drive around rural NY State worrying if you will get tired out and fall asleep.

Sorry if I made it sound bad. It often is hard to translate certain things without seeming rigid. I just didn't want folks to think (especially those that never have been) that chasing LES events are easy. No extreme weather chase is easy. Sure, finding a snow band and saying "lets go there" is easy, but execution in seriously deep snow, doing really slow speeds, and trying to get quality footage is not easy. I didn't want to paint the picture of it being like we hop in my truck, drive up in a nice cozy Suburban, and drink coco while looking out the windshield. There are times, because I have this requirement to get good footage, that I will bypass certain things. Filming a full white out condition with zero context in the shot is not going to be useful to me. I may, at times, not go for the worst snow band. I may also go after an area that is more important for a sellable shot, but not necessarily the first choice as a "chaser". I understand and also want to see the worst of it, and will at times.

The last thing I want is someone to feel unwanted or unequal. I'm going regardless. It is more just principal of tagging along that I ask for the 50/50 split. If I just wanted a "meal ticket" I'd probably advertise on craigslist and facebook/twitter. Got plenty of followers. I just liked the idea of considering folks here because I know folks here love snow, and have a better picture of what to expect, and even may have already done some snow/LES intercepts.

Does this sound a little better. Still not sure if this is helping explain it.

Archived