• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
I may entertain taking someone on a LES snow event chase

stormitecture

Yeah man...if the LES machine isn't shutdown yet, those are good times.

Sorry if I made it sound bad. It often is hard to translate certain things without seeming rigid. I just didn't want folks to think (especially those that never have been) that chasing LES events are easy. No extreme weather chase is easy. Sure, finding a snow band and saying "lets go there" is easy, but execution in seriously deep snow, doing really slow speeds, and trying to get quality footage is not easy. I didn't want to paint the picture of it being like we hop in my truck, drive up in a nice cozy Suburban, and drink coco while looking out the windshield. There are times, because I have this requirement to get good footage, that I will bypass certain things. Filming a full white out condition with zero context in the shot is not going to be useful to me. I may, at times, not go for the worst snow band. I may also go after an area that is more important for a sellable shot, but not necessarily the first choice as a "chaser". I understand and also want to see the worst of it, and will at times.

The last thing I want is someone to feel unwanted or unequal. I'm going regardless. It is more just principal of tagging along that I ask for the 50/50 split. If I just wanted a "meal ticket" I'd probably advertise on craigslist and facebook/twitter. Got plenty of followers. I just liked the idea of considering folks here because I know folks here love snow, and have a better picture of what to expect, and even may have already done some snow/LES intercepts.

Does this sound a little better. Still not sure if this is helping explain it.

that sucks

When I lived in CO we used to road trip to various ski areas that were getting hit with a good storm cycle. Generally it was never that bad on the roads. Lots of plows and very dry snow is way better than the wet stuff we get here. I did have one extremely scary experience worth sharing.

We were heading from the breckenridge area to jackson hole wyoming. The tetons were in the middle of a week long storm cycle. We left late (10pm or so) and it's about an 8 hour drive. I had done the drive before a couple times and knew the roads. There's one section of route 191 that's very remote and in a steep valley surrounded by peaks. It was blowing 30-40mph with heavy snow for miles.

And the worst part (i didn't know this at the time) is there was a law that doesn't allow snow plows in the area from 11pm to 5am. I'm not sure if it's to protect wild life or because of avalanche danger but I was driving @ 3am in heavy snow with big gusts. There was 6+" of untouched snow on the road without a single tiretrack and drifts building anywhere they could. Every time the wind howled I had to stop because of zero visibility. And then crawl at 5mph praying I didn't get stuck. I had a good truck but the drifts were building and I was really scared. There were times where I had to stop for 10 minutes before I could see again. Probably the most scared I've ever been driving. It took me 3 hours to go 20 miles and I never saw another car.

Not sure about LES unless there is an epic outbreak but I'd be down for upslope this winter. With the new highway tucker county is easily accessible in under 3 hours and we have a place in Davis to stay for a discount if Jon Jon is cool with it.

Yep, we'll give a good discount for anyone coming out on a snow chase if we have availability. Weekends are tough after Christmas and before March -- weekdays are almost always open except between Christmas and New Years. I have a feeling we will have more cross country skiers poaching early season snow this year after the miserable winter last year.

BTW -- another 5.3 mile section of the highway is set to open next month. http://www.wvcorridorh.com/route/map5.html

All the way to Davis in 2014!

When I lived in CO we used to road trip to various ski areas that were getting hit with a good storm cycle. Generally it was never that bad on the roads. Lots of plows and very dry snow is way better than the wet stuff we get here. I did have one extremely scary experience worth sharing.

We were heading from the breckenridge area to jackson hole wyoming. The tetons were in the middle of a week long storm cycle. We left late (10pm or so) and it's about an 8 hour drive. I had done the drive before a couple times and knew the roads. There's one section of route 191 that's very remote and in a steep valley surrounded by peaks. It was blowing 30-40mph with heavy snow for miles.

And the worst part (i didn't know this at the time) is there was a law that doesn't allow snow plows in the area from 11pm to 5am. I'm not sure if it's to protect wild life or because of avalanche danger but I was driving @ 3am in heavy snow with big gusts. There was 6+" of untouched snow on the road without a single tiretrack and drifts building anywhere they could. Every time the wind howled I had to stop because of zero visibility. And then crawl at 5mph praying I didn't get stuck. I had a good truck but the drifts were building and I was really scared. There were times where I had to stop for 10 minutes before I could see again. Probably the most scared I've ever been driving. It took me 3 hours to go 20 miles and I never saw another car.

Hit upslope once before I understood weather well once in NH near Franconia Notch. Heavy snow in the elevations where we couldn't drive and in the valley dry as a bone.

Upslope/further up in New England would be a different endeavor. That is a ton of miles away, definitely would be a multiple day trip. I would love to do the White Mountains and such up there, but logistically and overall, not really ready to do that. LES is a simple trip. Full day to two day type trip (three perhaps with a hotel).

For this I'm mostly thinking of the OH, PA, NY areas.

Upslope/further up in New England would be a different endeavor. That is a ton of miles away, definitely would be a multiple day trip. I would love to do the White Mountains and such up there, but logistically and overall, not really ready to do that. LES is a simple trip. Full day to two day type trip (three perhaps with a hotel).

For this I'm mostly thinking of the OH, PA, NY areas.

You want the greens for that

Archived