12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Post a Picture from Your Town Thread

ChrisM

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of pics from KPIT have already been here. But here are a couple of others. One is of Mt. Massemet (the highest place in town-1588'- as viewed from Mt. Sugarloaf). The others are of the Bridge of Flowers and a shot along the Deerfield.

:thumbsup:

Beautiful. I'm not a little homesick for New England right now with the onset of fall and colors starting to come out.

:thumbsup:

Beautiful. I'm not a little homesick for New England right now with the onset of fall and colors starting to come out.

When will you come back? I hope you can still provide us with your analyses and snowfall maps on winter threats! I hope life in Norman is good.

59568B51-07ED-4C98-84C3-6222A56FF74A-57576-00001E8CCBDF8C46.jpg

Lyndon state by winter....

94AC133C-9F98-4382-B17A-41A85E2C1923-57576-00001E8CD0FBBF4A.jpg

Westbrook CT by summer.

It's a tough life but someone's gotta do it...

One extreme to the other!

When will you come back? I hope you can still provide us with your analyses and snowfall maps on winter threats! I hope life in Norman is good.

I'll be back home for the second half of December through January 5th. I'll try my best to provide analysis but otherwise I'll probably only have time to read and live vicariously through the pics and obs you guys post.

Working in the NWC is awesome. But like I said, of the many parts of the nations I've visited, I can't imagine living anywhere other than New England.

I'll be back home for the second half of December through January 5th. I'll try my best to provide analysis but otherwise I'll probably only have time to read and live vicariously through the pics and obs you guys post.

Working in the NWC is awesome. But like I said, of the many parts of the nations I've visited, I can't imagine living anywhere other than New England.

But, all would agree that Norman, OK is a close second. :)

Thanks Chris. I will be the first to tell you my pics don't do it justice. But, living here is inspiring, I too can't imagine living anywhere else.

the town I live in, almost it's entirety, 43+ square miles for our sub 1K residents, more cows than people :)

IMG_2988.jpg

the Mt Range that has given me so much, the Northern Greens.

IMG_2910.jpg

Thanks Chris. I will be the first to tell you my pics don't do it justice. But, living here is inspiring, I too can't imagine living anywhere else.

the town I live in, almost it's entirety, 43+ square miles for our sub 1K residents, more cows than people :)

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

Wow, that is amazing. When I go up to Jay this year I'll have to stop by!!

IMG_2910.jpg

That's a great picture.

Thanks guys for the nice comments about my "frontyard" view. Great view looking 40 miles to the southwest. Wish I was a bit higher. Anyhow my webcam is always on, my weather station is up only when my desktop PC is running. Doing a big house renovation project right now so lots of crap in the view. Here's my webcam link www.metrocast.net/~wxeye/

Also posted a sunset picture from the front yard.

post-268-0-10187200-1347367935_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys for the nice comments about my "frontyard" view. Great view looking 40 miles to the southwest. Wish I was a bit higher. Anyhow my webcam is always on, my weather station is up only when my desktop PC is running. Doing a big house renovation project right now so lots of crap in the view. Here's my webcam link www.metrocast.net/~wxeye/

Also posted a sunset picture from the front yard.

I love this shot, I've actually used it as wallpaper in the past (hope you don't mind).

I live in Barre Town, VT. It has a population of 7,924 as of the 2010 census and is located in central Vermont about 10 miles from Montpelier. Barre Town almost completely surrounds Barre City, which secceded from it in 1895. Barre City has a population of 9,052 and sits mainly in the valley below the town. My house is at just over 1200' but the hills in town go to just over 1800'. Barre is or has been famous for granite. Some of the largest quarries in the world are located here and the stone attracted a large wave of very artistically talented immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. One of the cemetaries in the area, Hope Cemetary, is a popular tourist attraction because of the amazing carved granite monuments it contains. I don't have access to any of my own photos here at work so I grabbed the ones below.

post-363-0-92442200-1347372291_thumb.jpg

post-363-0-45239100-1347372306_thumb.jpg

Oops, I thought we had a poster from Berlin or around there and I thought it was him. Just looked and I was wrong.

We've had good coverage of the Greens and some from the 'Dacks, but the Whites and the Maine Mts have been essentially unrepresented (except when Eric is hiking.)

1st pic is courtesy of Wiki, and shows the Route 2 entry from the east, just coming to the built-up section of town. My place is 2 miles to the north. The town had 1,407 people in 2010, which is 30/sq.mi. Max elevation is 1,210' on York Hill in the SE part of the twp, lowest is about 300' along the east line where the Sandy River flows out of town. The landscape is about 85% forest, with most of the rest farmland, mainly hayfields and corn. Best view is looking west-to-north from Cape Cod Hill Road (Route 134) just south of the center of town. On a clear day nearly all the western Maine 4,000' peaks are visible; I think Crocker is blocked by the 'Loaf.

800px-New_Sharon_ME.JPG

2nd pic, taken 2/23/2009, is the nearest (200 yd away) neighbor's seasonal cottage, since replaced by their retirement home.

post-243-0-12476800-1347378784_thumb.jpg

3rd one is our buried Outback and small Mazda pickup and a bit of the house, wife on porch, son (temporarily here from Japan; I think this storm convinced him to move back) in driveway wondering where to start.

post-243-0-34935700-1347378991_thumb.jpg

I live in Corinth, Vermont. It's almost smack in the middle of Orange County in the east-central part of the state. It's 48.5 square miles and as of the 2010 census, a little over 1300 souls reside here (a drop of roughly 100 people from the 2000 census). It's a hilly upland town with much of it lying at 1000' or higher--the exception being in the northeast corner of town where the Waits River cuts a pretty deep valley. The valley floor along the Waits River within the bounds of town is down around 650' or so and the highest point is in the northwestern part of town at just a little shy of 2300'.

While not mountainous in the true sense of the word, the western part of Corinth lies very close to a fairly major watershed divide. The west side of the highlands here is within the Winooski-Lake Champlain-St. Lawrence river water shed whereas the eastern side is within the Connecticut River drainage. Only a minor 700 mile difference from where the water from either side of the divide reaches the sea. ;)

We live in the southwestern part of town near Corinth Corners. We're in an elevated hollow at 1200' surrounded by ridges at or just below 2k.

Anyway, a few shots from around town taken by yours truly:

Our blue roof is visible in this one--far right and in the middle, just inside in the woodline:

2361911198_0f6fa39bc5_z.jpg

And the view from the fields near our house, looking toward where the above shot was taken:

4005951848_6855a300b6_z.jpg

The hills here in town generally provide excellent views eastward into NH:

2592249177_aeca812a0d_z.jpg

The Presidentials are even visible from a few spots:

5547311957_e20f710438_z.jpg

And, while we can't see it from the house due to a large hill immediately to our east, the top of our driveway gives great views of Moosilauke in western NH:

5529275580_89a2ff2ccc_z.jpg

Archived