• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

Isopycnic

As others have mentioned, a significant cold front will sweep out this nasty post-Isaac environment late Sat / Sunday. In it's wake comes an early fall special. GFS has highs at CLT of 80, 78, 79 for Mon-Wed with abundant sunshine, and dewpoints getting down into the 40's. May be a tick overdone, but it will be nice.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it could be a stormy night for those in line of the storms coming from TN. Tornado warning for Corbin KY.

Hope they hold together when they come over the hills....really need some rain. You would not believe how close the misses have been for me.

GSP sounds encouraged.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH THURSDAY/...

830 PM EDT UPDATE...NO MAJOR CHANGES NEEDED TO THE GOING FCST. POPS

STILL LOOK GOOD OVER THE NEXT COUPLE HRS...BUT PROBABLY WILL BUMP UP

THE WRN NC MTN ZONES WITH THE OVERNIGHT UPDATE AS AN ACTIVE S/W

APPROACHES THE CWFA FROM THE NW.

Hope they hold together when they come over the hills....really need some rain. You would not believe how close the misses have been for me.

GSP sounds encouraged.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH THURSDAY/...

830 PM EDT UPDATE...NO MAJOR CHANGES NEEDED TO THE GOING FCST. POPS

STILL LOOK GOOD OVER THE NEXT COUPLE HRS...BUT PROBABLY WILL BUMP UP

THE WRN NC MTN ZONES WITH THE OVERNIGHT UPDATE AS AN ACTIVE S/W

APPROACHES THE CWFA FROM THE NW.

Ya I am looking forward to getting some more rain to. Has rained everyday this week. Seems like you have been getting the shaft recently. Hopefully that will change tonight.

GFS advertising 50° for a low here Tuesday!! Maybe no dog days at all in September, could be a first in a long long time.

Looking forward to some 40s here in the mountains. Going to feel great for at least a week it seems.

Flash Flood Warning for the Linville Falls area (Avery, Burke, McDowell). Nearly 4 inches of rain has fallen in the past couple hours, some of that will flow down the mountain and into the North Fork of the Catawba River in northern McDowell County. Swift water rescues also being performed in Southern Avery County (per twitter posts)

That area could receive more rain over the next few hours as the line from Tennessee crosses over into the North Carolina High Country.

YAY for cooler weather this weekend! It's been a brutal summer down here. The past few weeks have been closer to average but the humidity has been killer!

I certainly hope everyone got their share of rain because next week is looking dry as a bone for many. Oh well! I'll take the cooler, fall-like weather over the heat and humidity with storms missing me to the North, East, West and South... :lol:

Oh, interesting side-note... Last year on September 7th (tomorrow), Columbus only hit 69°! The coolest high for that date in recorded history... I can't wait for that to happen on a daily basis. :wub:

Well, we ended up with a whopping .02" from what was left of the storms last night. I wasn't awake but it seems the Mnts. did it again.

Seems like the past few lines of storms that try to come through here get broken up by the mountains. Looks like a good chance of rain as the front comes through this weekend. Fingers crossed for your area.

Strange things going on. I got my first storm from the southwest. An hour later a second from the northwest. Now I'm watching a storm that dropped almost due south from VA. It split in almost exactly in half over Rockingham county. One half moved off to the southeast while the other went southwest. Both are now falling apart.

Picked up over ½" late this afternoon in a couple storms. Took the funnel out of the gauge for now, afraid that I was losing some capture in these heavy downpours the area has had lately :) Hope to pick up more with the cold front over the weekend, because there isn't much to be had after that in the foreseeable future.

More storms today and added another .75 to my guage. Add that to the 5.2 inches I got on Sunday and Monday and September is starting out with a bang here in eastern NC.

Man, you guys are in the middle of a nice moisture pattern :) It took a hurricane to get me 2 inches, lol. If this rain pattern keeps up you'll have a banner winter! Tony

Sunday through tuesday is going to feel awesome. Highs only near 80 (per gsp while ffc has mid 80s tuesday) and 60s and 70s mountains and lows down in the 50s (40s mountains) and dry fall like air. It will most certainly get me (and I'm sure everyone else) in the mood for fall.

Stunning red sky this am in Weaverville. Not liking the looks of the radar this morning. Looks like almost all of the precip. is to our north.

Ah yes & this snippet from GSP's overnight.

THE

QUESTION WILL BE HOW THE CONVECTION DEVELOPS AND MOVES ACROSS THE

AREA WITH THE SYSTEM. THE SRN END OF THE LINE OF CONVECTION HAS

WEAKENED AND BECOME SCT THIS MORNING AS IT MOVES ACROSS MIDDLE TN.

THE NRN END OF THE LINE REMAINS STRONG AND BKN.

Archived