amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

September...the month of transition. Saying good bye to the heat of summer and hello to the cool winds of fall.

I'm hoping we'll have at least one tropical threat this month.

I've pretty much lost any hope for that here because it seems to have gotten so rare (although it could be a misconception on my part which larry could clarify.

With all the fronts/troughs becoming more frequent, it's likely any storms that form out in the atlantic will go into central america or out into the atlantic. The exception being if something forms in the gulf. I know there are exceptions but it's hard not to feel this way.

I know one thing, ever since isasc's path changed course into the ms valley, there sure hasn't been anything to talk about. I'm drying for something interesting...whether it's rain, a TC, or cold/cooler weather.

I've pretty much lost any hope for that here because it seems to have gotten so rare (although it could be a misconception on my part which larry could clarify.

KATL was heavily affected by five TC's (five ~3"+ and four 5"+) within the period 9/04-7/05, which is unpredented since records began. Also, three in one month! KATL was also hit hard twice in the 90's: Opal and Alberto. KATL has had seven TC's produce ~5"+ since 1994 or one every three years. KATL has had 15 of these since 1879 or one every nine yrs. So, way over climo since 1994 overall.

Since 04-05 for ATL 2"+:

-2.56" Humberto 07

- 2.12" Fay 08

- 4.87" Ida 09

So, we've had a lull since 09. But this is under three years and it is just after an incredibly active 2004-09. KATL has had over 40" from TC's (direct) since 2004!

Ready for drier cooler weather and hopefully the first upslope snow next month in October.

I second this! Well we have just had a big strom roll in and cool things off finally today. Some narly looking clouds rolled in right before the rains hit. Very heavy rain atm. Hoping to get some rains from the remnants of Isaac.

Well, the first decent chance at some rain today washed out about 8 miles to the West. We did hear 2 rumbles of thunder, however!!!

The same thing happened here. No rain in 2 weeks. I'm going to say that my area stays dry indefinetly unless a tropical system comes up from Florida. Thought sure we'd see rain an hour ago but it split and anything headed for this area is quickly dying.

I'm about to get hammered. Dark as night, Warnings issued.

Hope it happened. Sitting here watching Isaac spin in some northwest rains to north of Atl. Patiently hoping some of that moves in here, if Isaac can just drop down a little more :) I've gotten 1.3 out of him so far, and sure would like to get another inch or two, before he's gone in a couple of days. Tony

Hope it happened. Sitting here watching Isaac spin in some northwest rains to north of Atl. Patiently hoping some of that moves in here, if Isaac can just drop down a little more :) I've gotten 1.3 out of him so far, and sure would like to get another inch or two, before he's gone in a couple of days. Tony

It was a pretty good storm. Lots of lightning and close thunder. Winds weren't that strong but got a quick .76 in the gauge.

Way to go, Burns!! I've got the rain train from Isaac reasonably near my door step now, finally. I'm temped to stay up for it...to get in practice for sleet/snow later :) Looks like it could dump some pretty good rains, if it doesn't dry up before it get here :) Looks solid for now back in Ala. but the Haarp rain evaporator on the Ala line has been active this year. T

Judging from radar, it looks like Downeast is probably swimming again this morning.

Meanwhile, guess which one is me.

Clayton 1.3 SSW 0.12 NA NA NC Johnston

Clayton 2.9 W 0.28 NA NA NC Johnston

Clayton 3.3 NW 0.26 NA NA NC Wake

Clayton 5.7 SSE 0.03 NA NA NC Johnston

Archived