joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/19-12/20 threat

CoastalWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll see the Euro be a little more robust with the energy in the trough, but still a later phase, ending up as a bomb south of Nova Scotia

I wouldn't be suprised if it came a bit west of the GFS.....this is unequivocally game on in my mind now.....though I could certainly still see a more moderate ene centric outcome.

I'm always suspicious of these late-developing, long-duration solutions. Beyond that, it's gotten to the point here where I can't imagine how it could ever snow. I have to head out for a couple hours, and fully expect to return to wailing and gnashing of teeth over a disappointing Euro run.

Like I said last night, the strength of the SW is far, far more easily correctable than the evoloution of the PV, especially prior to the SWs arrival on the N American shore.

Yeah agreed. PV's are usually stable, but a small shift in that can have a large outcome in sensible wx. I won't be around for the euro, but hopefully it's better than 00z.

I'm always suspicious of these late-developing, long-duration solutions. Beyond that, it's gotten to the point here where I can't imagine how it could ever snow. I have to head out for a couple hours, and fully expect to return to wailing and gnashing of teeth over a disappointing Euro run.

I'm always suspicious when a model shows that I get snow

I'm glad I refrained from melting down after the EURO last night; the fact that the EURO changed so markedly with respect to the N stream told me all I needed to know about that stability of that whiff scenario, though I would REALLY like to see the EURO display a hit in a bit over an hr.

You should have been leaping for joy after last night's EC. It had major, major shifts from it's 12z run. No difference on the end result as noted. But it begged the question as to what was going on. Perhaps these early 12z returns are giving the answers to that question.

14.6/3

Now that we have seen some other guidance, we can look back at the 12z NAM's H5 depiction and get a better idea other than "guessing", since we have seen other modeling schemes and their handling of the situation. That being said, the NAM is likely heading towards a hit and possibly one slightly west of the GFS, given it's H5 orientation being further west and more amplified as well as more phased. It's all for naught being that it's the 84 hour NAM--but it's something else to throw in there.

Here's the NAM

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/WRF_12z/f84.gif

GFS

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/AVN_12z/f84.gif

Well the GFS is certainly helpful with the placement of the PV.. gives this thing plenty of room to ride the coast.

One thing that worried me though is that the Idaho s/w slowed down which starts to create too much spacing between that s/w and the NM s/w. If it slows down too much they won't interact. That's why the 00z Euro didn't have a storm last night. The GFS trended slower with the Idaho s/w from 00z to 06z and especially to 12z... in that regard it is trending towards the Euro which is not good. It probably doesn't matter though.. if the Euro speeds that s/w up at all it will be a massive hit.

Archived