Newest Member
    joxey
12/19-12/20 threat

CoastalWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, the ensemble was that intense?!

Yep...I wouldn't be surprised if there was some even further west members in there given how close the ensemble mean is to the Op GFS.

We know how it is...you can't have your cake and eat it too. Since the PV shifted so far west...it opens up the door for an earlier phase and even further west track.

Yep...I wouldn't be surprised if there was some even further west members in there given how close the ensemble mean is to the Op GFS.

We know how it is...you can't have your cake and eat it too. Since the PV shifted so far west...it opens up the door for an earlier phase and even further west track.

it basically has 3 members that run it over or west of the cape (some way up into new england). a handful are completely OTS whiffs and a couple are scrapers/ENE specials.

Still at D4.5 -5 and sub 990mb is impressive agreement considering all - wow. Exciting solution no kidding -

euro do out shortly and am curious if it thows a whiplash bone back into something more exotic. It's mystifying the ECM would do that, if it does, considering it's typical bias of being...well, ridiculously accurate inside of 120 hours.

The NAM 84 hr 300mb jet and upper level orientation might be the best map I have seen since yesterdays big MECS solution. After seeing the 12z GFS bring advisory level snows into the area--one can now assume (instead of extrapolating or guessing) that the NAM would be a pretty sizeable hit at least for the coast given the fact that it's a good bit more amplified than the GFS. The NAM has a 70+kt 500mb jet streak nearing the base of the trough at 84 hours--almost no doubt in my mind that this run would tug the surface low up the coast. Take it for what it's worth given the NAM's history at this stage, but it sure is pretty.

VnymE.png

I think there is a decent shot that the EURO comes a little further west than some of us in ene would like....

Yes I agree.. IF the NM and Idaho S/Ws phase well this could come way west. The Euro didn't phase them at 00z. We need the Idaho s/w to speed up. If they phase strongly though I see no reason why this won't track right over SNE

I wouldn't go as far to say that I'm worried, but I do feel it's become a bit more plausible.

If the PV evolution goes as modeled, yeah there's a way that this could end up farther west than you'd like. But that would require a much earlier phase, and since we're starting with such a broad trough, I don't think it could come together quick enough for a track, for instance, over the Cape.

Yes I agree.. IF the NM and Idaho S/Ws phase well this could come way west. The Euro didn't phase them at 00z. We need the Idaho s/w to speed up. If they phase strongly though I see no reason why this won't track right over SNE

It's all about the timing of the phase, how much of a phase, and the strength of the southern stream. The GFS evolution is perfectly reasonable since the initial trough is so broad and the phase is so late.

Archived