Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
July 26, 2012 Severe Weather Potential

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going to be quiet for the next few hours on the radar and any severe watches for NYC metro will probably not be issued till this afternoon some time and probably cover a major portion of the evening and overnight hours

FWIW, the 12Z HRRR doesn't seem overly gung ho on a very organized squall line/derecho tonight. It does bring through a cluster of storms from NE PA through NYC this evening which would probably be severe but there is very little updraft helicity being forecast in any isolated storms earlier in the day and maximum 10m wind gusts only get up to isolated 40 kts in NW NJ and weakening there on out. Not sure on the HRRR's track record when it comes to forecasting such intricacies. I wouldn't put TOO much stock in it at this point.

WRT the HRRR. it still had a convective complex in it's earlier forecast hours.

Im more interested to see what it does when it assimilates all this clearing going on.

Very true - the complex has dissipated much more rapidly than the 12Z HRRR shows. These ultra hi-res mesoscale models are always so tempting to overanalyze. Oy vey.

Getting some sun here now.

Those NE folks must be pretty sour.

GOES15152012208dfSkaM.jpg

I've been reading through the New England thread all morning and some of the mets are really starting to think the main focus will be down by us instead of southern New England. Being in the bullseye 24 hours out isn't always the best thing.

Besides the high wind potential, the PWAT's and dews forecast suggest maybe an inch of rain in 10-15 minutes

for strongest hit areas and then going up from there.

dews in the low 70's are whats feeding a lot of the instability on the soundings, and yeah, tons of liquid potential here. If any cells decide to train, epic flash flooding possible.

Sounding shows how the Tornado threat may just not all come together, but the straight line wind threat and bow segment threat sure is

I can't speak for everyone here, but a tornado is the last thing I want to see in this highly populated region. Damaging winds are probably the best you can get here without too much destruction.

Now SNY is different. If I see some hooks ahead of the line later, I'm headed north no matter what the circumstance.

The directional shear might not be enough for tornadoes, but if we can get localized backing north or northwest of the city, where the surface winds locally turn to the south instead of southwest, that's where you have to watch out. This is where surface based helicity can locally be enhanced.

A widespread tornado event is unlikely given the primarily west of south surface winds.

Archived