Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 26, 2012 Severe Weather Potential

earthlight

day2probotlk_1730_any.gif

...MID-MS/OH VALLEYS TO THE NORTHEAST/SRN NEW ENGLAND...

CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO GROW WITH POTENTIAL FOR SCATTERED TO

NUMEROUS ORGANIZED SEVERE TSTMS...PARTICULARLY FROM THE MIDWEST TO

THE NORTHEAST. AN MCS SHOULD BE ONGOING ACROSS PARTS OF THE LOWER

GREAT LAKES...SUPPORTED BY AN INITIAL MID-LEVEL SPEED MAX AND ROBUST

LOW-LEVEL WAA ADVECTION. THIS SHOULD RETARD THE NERN ADVANCEMENT OF

THE WARM FRONT AND SUBSEQUENT EVOLUTION OF THIS ACTIVITY DOES BREED

UNCERTAINTY OVER WHERE THE FRONT WILL ULTIMATELY ANCHOR.

AN EXPANSIVE UNCAPPED WARM SECTOR CHARACTERIZED BY 90S/60S SURFACE

TEMPERATURES/DEW POINTS WILL CONTRIBUTE TO MODERATE TO STRONG

BUOYANCY THU AFTERNOON WITH MLCAPE OF 2000-4000 J/KG. A LARGE SWATH

OF 30-50 KT 700-500 MB WLYS WILL OVERLAP THIS INSTABILITY...AND WITH

WEAK MID-LEVEL HEIGHT FALLS COMBINING WITH FRONTAL

CONVERGENCE...THIS SETUP WILL YIELD SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS TSTMS

FORMING ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT. THE UNIDIRECTIONAL WIND

PROFILES AND STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES SHOULD SUPPORT UPSCALE

GROWTH INTO SEVERAL CLUSTERS WITH BOWING SEGMENTS AND EMBEDDED

SUPERCELL STRUCTURES. DAMAGING WINDS /POTENTIALLY WIDESPREAD AND

SIGNIFICANT/ WILL BE THE PRIMARY THREAT.

A RELATIVELY NARROW CORRIDOR OF ENHANCED TORNADO RISK SHOULD DEVELOP

ALONG THE WARM FRONTAL ZONE WHERE EFFECTIVE SRH AND STRONGEST

DEEP-LAYER SHEAR WILL BE MAXIMIZED. ALTHOUGH PINPOINTING THIS

CORRIDOR IS DIFFICULT GIVEN LIKELIHOOD OF PRECEDING OVERNIGHT

CONVECTION...IT APPEARS MOST PROBABLE FROM PARTS OF NY INTO SRN NEW

ENGLAND. SOME CONVECTION-ALLOWING GUIDANCE SUGGESTS THAT DISCRETE

CONVECTION MAY FORM WITHIN A PERSISTING WAA REGIME THU AFTERNOON.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

re: model differences - the GFS doesn't seem to be advecting the Elevated Mixed Layer over our area, hence the weaker cap and smaller lapse rates. There's also slightly less backing of winds at the surface, but winds aloft are still decently strong.

And nothing is "busting". Besides the fact that the event hasn't happened yet, the best combo of shear and instability was always supposed to be to our N&W up in NE PA and SE NY state. Nothing is trending away at the last minute or anything.

Please tell me what other model has us getting killed tommorow morning like the stormvista showed??? Seriously, if i am wrong i am wrong, but i havent seen it.

Not everything is about the QPF maps. All the models I've looked at (Euro, SREF, NAM) have the same unstable setup.

The way 7/18 shifted south with the actual convection was pretty pronounced.

Severe setups rarely play out like they are modeled on the QPF fields.

Agreed. Just because people are not in the 2"+ contours doesnt mean the threat is lower. The dynamics will still be present, and they are rather impressive.

You can see the 500mb setup coming into better focus now on the NAM. If we can get convection to develop over Northern PA, it shouldn't have any trouble advecting east/southeast into 40kts of effective shear and extremely impressive instability numbers. The timing definitely favors the convective complex coming into the area around/ after 7-8pm...but the instability and kinematics will still be terrific anyway. The SPC SREF has high probabilities for derecho maintenance.

http://www.meteo.psu...AST_18z/f33.gif

SREF_prob_derecho_3__f033.gif

You can see the 500mb setup coming into better focus now on the NAM. If we can get convection to develop over Northern PA, it shouldn't have any trouble advecting east/southeast into 40kts of effective shear and extremely impressive instability numbers. The timing definitely favors the convective complex coming into the area around/ after 7-8pm...but the instability and kinematics will still be terrific anyway. The SPC SREF has high probabilities for derecho maintenance.

http://www.meteo.psu...AST_18z/f33.gif

SREF_prob_derecho_3__f033.gif

John, what are your thoughts about the morning? Scattered showers and heavier stuff to the north?

John, what are your thoughts about the morning? Scattered showers and heavier stuff to the north?

The NAM and GFS have differences which will obviously have a big impact on the forecast...but yes I think the activity with the elevated convection along the WAA/WF should be to our north over Central NY/New England. The NAM has it farther south...clipping parts of Northeast PA/Southeast NY.

The NAM is also about 50-100 miles farther south with the 582dm height line at 15-18z than the GFS. The NAM has been insistent on developing an MCS over Northern PA/Southern NY and tracking it east/southeast along this gradient...into 40+kts of effective shear and high instability over N NJ/SE NY/NYC/etc.

All things to watch carefully overnight tonight w/ forecast models and early tomorrow with mesoscale forecasting.

P.S- Over-analyzing model QPF with a convective event will get you nowhere fast.

The NAM and GFS have differences which will obviously have a big impact on the forecast...but yes I think the activity with the elevated convection along the WAA/WF should be to our north over Central NY/New England. The NAM has it farther south...clipping parts of Northeast PA/Southeast NY.

The NAM is also about 50-100 miles farther south with the 582dm height line at 15-18z than the GFS. The NAM has been insistent on developing an MCS over Northern PA/Southern NY and tracking it east/southeast along this gradient...into 40+kts of effective shear and high instability over N NJ/SE NY/NYC/etc.

All things to watch carefully overnight tonight w/ forecast models and early tomorrow with mesoscale forecasting.

P.S- Over-analyzing model QPF with a convective event will get you nowhere fast.

Thanks for the analysis. Tommorow should be interesting to say the least.

GFS is pretty far north but it doesn't handle outflow boundries and storm relative motion too well. So If I had to guess the storms form where the GFS says and then propogate southeast. Central NJ maybe pushing it although it will reach there overnight.

RAP keeps the area, other than CT, dry through 1 pm. CT gets scraped by the southern part of the MCS around 9-11 am

This is going to be a late-developing event in our area most likely..the models don't have the best set up for getting severe convection here until after 6-7pm.

This is going to be a late-developing event in our area most likely..the models don't have the best set up for getting severe convection here until after 6-7pm.

Thats what i was thinking. Looks like 7-9 could be the timeframe when it lights up.

GFS has a ton of rain this weekend, good chance of storms friday, saturday and saturday night.

Mid week next week looks pretty stormy as well.

Man thats wild, haven't seen that since Irene

given the fact we never had a moderate 2 days out from SPC and the way the models are showing how the main show in the evening may be this was a good step. further north not immediate NYC area have the best shot at the tornado threat, but im willing to be when all is said and done tommorow there will be alot of reports of wind damage and hail reports.

given the fact we never had a moderate 2 days out from SPC and the way the models are showing how the main show in the evening may be this was a good step. further north not immediate NYC area have the best shot at the tornado threat, but im willing to be when all is said and done tommorow there will be alot of reports of wind damage and hail reports.

Yeah I had trees down in my neighborhood last week and it wasn't that bad, tomorrow may just be insane. I hope the 10&11pm news don't down play it. Just warn the public I'd rather be wrong then have people not knowing.

No comparisons to Irene, please. I was in DC for the derecho last month as well as the derecho in '08 and both blew Irene out of the water (so did Isabel). NYC has sucked for severe weather so I'm pessimistic, but the best storms I've seen in my four years here were the ones the other day that kept rebuilding over Manhattan. Crossing my fingers for a legit derecho.

When I read that the hair stood up on the back of my neck, I think some of us may get more than we bargained for, seriously.

most likely north but not by much will the most intense storms be, but i think by tommorow morning we'll have a pretty good idea whos gonna get whacked with some storms. i cant believe the step taken by cuomo though by publishing that statement. the news stations prolly arent gonna hype it, id actually bet they wont.

No comparisons to Irene, please. I was in DC for the derecho last month as well as the derecho in '08 and both blew Irene out of the water (so did Isabel). NYC has sucked for severe weather so I'm pessimistic, but the best storms I've seen in my four years here were the ones the other day that kept rebuilding over Manhattan. Crossing my fingers for a legit derecho.

Just meant in terms of the strong wording from officials. Not the storm itself

Srefs with a decent shift south with the heaviest axis of precip for tomorrow evening. Good to see.

Strange, slows down the precip in the evening alot, has it lingering until early morning friday and then has almost no storms on friday evening.

Morning MCS is still shown well north of the metro, taking the heart of it into northern vermont, but also much later...keeping it up there until like 2-3 pm...

The timing on the SREFS is just so slow, keeps the heavy precip in the area until like 2 am...according to SREFS wed be getting hit from 8-2...6 hours...

Archived