• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 26, 2012 Severe Weather Potential

earthlight

There was definitely an ongoing mesocyclone that originated from the supercell-bow echo merger in NE PA near Hazleton. This circulation moved through N NJ / NYC (Jake/Doug/Beth's picture clearly shows an organized mesocyclone and it is an amazing picture!). So while this region saw winds lessoned, they got quite the sight!

Meanwhile, just to their south, the winds exceeded 50 MPH throughout C and S-C NJ.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was definitely an ongoing mesocyclone that originated from the supercell-bow echo merger in NE PA near Hazleton. This circulation moved through N NJ / NYC (Jake/Doug/Beth's picture clearly shows an organized mesocyclone and it is an amazing picture!). So while this region saw winds lessoned, they got quite the sight!

Meanwhile, just to their south, the winds exceeded 50 MPH throughout C and S-C NJ.

JFK gusted past 50mph on 3 separate reports. LGA reported decent gusts as well.

Indeed! It fit what you would expect in an LEWP and bow echo perfectly. I was amazed at our structure; I can't say enough how surreal it was.

Here was something I quickly put together.

post-73-134344802104.jpg

The rear inflow jet was clearly evident as there was little to no reflectivity behind where the bow itself was. The rear inflow jet causes the bow to bow out, and this is where winds are maximized. However, the rear inflow jet is also oriented downward, so there is thus an area of localized subsidence behind the bow, and thus the lack of reflectivity behind it! And this bowing portion is what headed towards Central Jersey and gave them their strong winds; the complex moved a bit south of east.

However, at the apex of the bow/comma shape, you often have rotation based on the counterclockwise flow resulting from the orientation of the convex meeting the concave. The notch "in" is from a flow from east to west, and the notch "up and out" to the south is from flow west to east, resulting in counterclockwise flow, resulting in our bookend vortex and mesocyclone! This is the LEWP portion.

Weather is so neat when it works out like this. It's so cool to perfectly match up what you actually see to what you learn about in reading.

I always laugh at the "nothing ever happens here" from the N. Jersey, NYC and L.I. crowd. Over the last 30 years annual precipitation is up to around 50 inches per year....show me a place north of N. Carolina and east of the Mississippi that is that wet (outside of the mountains). And don't claim the entire precipitation budget can be attributed to bland winter coastal storms producing light to moderate rain...

Agree...If you want more severe weather then go to the midwest but you"ll be trading in 15 or so inches of precip. My station has a 30 year July precip avg of 5.25 in. so something must be happening.

So it turns out that this mesocyclone did indeed produce a confirmed tornado in Luzerne county before hitting us! So Jake, Beth, and I were actually pretty close to seeing a tornado! Crazy stuff.

post-73-134359024848.jpg

Doug that is awesome. Yes you guys clearly caught a nice mesocyclone and perhaps even an old wall cloud, although that is tough for me to say based on the pictures. One of the best looking storms you are going to see in the area!

Archived