Newest Member
    joxey
July 26, 2012 Severe Weather Potential

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig Allen On-Air Inc

Could be one of those hellish days of severe weather around here on Thursday (possibly Friday too). Been called back from taking a mini vacation so tune in to 880 frequently for updates. Most likely time of any potentially severe weather will be from about 1pm on but even more so, towards evening

Friday will not be a 'hellish' severe weather day.

For anyone with GR2 such as SmokeEater, it would be greatly appreciated if you can announce the gate-to-gate shear velocities in knots for any supercell that has decent rotation during this morning and evening.

I would but I'll be somewhat in your backyard, lol. I'm chasing the event starting in Newburgh, NY, be there around 1:30pm. I'll gladly post Radarscope images as conditions warrant.

Day 1 outlook = pitch tent :P

It has 45% hatched wind further south, 2-5% tor, 15-30% hail

Personally, I would have NYC/NE NJ in 10% tor and SE NY and SW CT in 15% tor.

Eh, I still think the tornado threat is marginal, to get a 15% tor in the NE, it better be a historic tornado outbreak.

Eh, I still think the tornado threat is marginal, to get a 15% tor in the NE, it better be a historic tornado outbreak.

It all depends if we have low enough LCL heights and properly-veered directional S-SE surface winds. We already have high EHI and SRH values. If we clear out fast enough from the morning MCS, then the SPC may increase the tornado probs. in later outlooks, especially if the warm front does not advance that far north.

Bluewave thats like 55 kts right over the island. That right there is no joke! Some people here sound like there calling bust already. But i gotta say by 12-1 when we start clearing i think were gonna destabilize really really fast and we'll be primed when evening gets here for some nasty storms. Dont you think?

Bluewave thats like 55 kts right over the island. That right there is no joke! Some people here sound like there calling bust already. But i gotta say by 12-1 when we start clearing i think were gonna destabilize really really fast and we'll be primed when evening gets here for some nasty storms. Dont you think?

That line is breaking up / moving quick we might clear sooner, still clear here In Brooklyn

Talking about later today. Right now its just scattered stuff left over from the dying overnight MCS. Once we get some heat going this afternoon the instability is gonna go through the roof. By 4-6 PM there should be a ton of severe action in our area

I meant for later, sorry I meant this lines falling apart quick which is good lets get it away and let the sun cook, so many people calling bust already.

We should really start to destabilize from around 15z on as that clearing over Western PA races east toward our area.

Then it will all come down to the radar trends later today into this evening as to which locations in the Northeast get

hardest hit.

What do they show for the rest of the area?

Storms developing in CT around 5 and dropping SE, clipping eastern LI,

Moderate/Lkght precip starting around 8 in NJ moving east into the area, heavy storms in CT around 11, really blowing up around 2 am and nailing Suffolk county, while NJ really doesnt get much, neither does the city, begins to clear out after 2 it seems.

Storms developing in CT around 5 and dropping SE, clipping eastern LI,

Moderate/Lkght precip starting around 8 in NJ moving east into the area, heavy storms in CT around 11, really blowing up around 2 am and nailing Suffolk county, while NJ really doesnt get much, neither does the city, begins to clear out after 2 it seems.

Thanks

@bluewave- that 925 mb chart you posted with the wind speed is showing some pretty poweful winds aloft. I think some of these storms that do form today have a great chance of producing some wind gusts in excess of 65mph or higher and some large hail as well

Speed shear is insane over most of the area, from N PA on east. If we can get decent cells to form, the winds should definitely be insane. This crapvection is really worrying me right now though. I'm not trying to drive 4 hours, on 1-2 hrs sleep, for rain.

Archived