Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
July 26, 2012 Severe Weather Potential

earthlight

Jake, what do you think for timing?

Oh gosh - putting me on the spot! :P I would say as a rough guess that things start popping around 3PM and quickly merge into bowing segments that last through the rest of the evening (and contain the worst of the wind) - even a 5% is still a very 'isolated' tornado risk.

This MCS did exactly what we needed it to. Not only did it moisten the boundary layer to lower LCL heights but it will help slow the northern progression of the warm front and contribute to frontogenesis along it, hence the tornado risk area being shifted further south. Now we wait (and try to get work done and probably fail at it).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh gosh - putting me on the spot! :P I would say as a rough guess that things start popping around 3PM and quickly merge into bowing segments that last through the rest of the evening (and contain the worst of the wind) - even a 5% is still a very 'isolated' tornado risk.

This MCS did exactly what we needed it to. Not only did it moisten the boundary layer to lower LCL heights but it will help slow the northern progression of the warm front and contribute to frontogenesis along it, hence the tornado risk area being shifted further south. Now we wait (and try to get work done and probably fail at it).

What time do you see things shutting off? Models are very split on this. RAP/GFS move precip out by 11, SREFS hold on until 2-3 am...

Thanks, lol. Didnt mean to put you on the spot....im just trying to learn how to turn just reading the potential in the maps into useful info if possible, lol.

Now we wait (and try to get work done and probably fail at it).

This.

-----

Upton's short, but sweet disco.

SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM FRIDAY/...

THUNDERSTORMS WILL LIKELY BE ON GOING AT THE START OF THE

PERIOD...BECOMING MORE LIKELY INTO EARLY THIS EVENING AS CAPE

VALUES INCREASE UP TO 3500 J/KG. MAIN THREATS REMAIN DAMAGING

WINDS AND LARGE HAIL. SOME STORMS ACROSS THE NORTHERN TIER...THE

LOWER HUDSON VALLEY INTO SOUTHWESTERN CONNECTICUT...MAY DEVELOP

INTO SUPERCELLS AND AN ISOLATED TORNADO CAN NOT BE RULED OUT.

PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES INCREASE TO 2 TO 2.5 INCHES INTO THIS

EVENING AS LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL WILL BE LIKELY WITH LOCAL URBAN

AND LOW LYING FLOODING POSSIBLE.

Just glancing at some morning stuff -- this is a terrific set up for organized convection and damaging winds in our area..probably one of the better ones of the last few years. Effective shear at 21z is over 40 kts throughout the area with impressive surface based instability.

As long as some convection can initiate this afternoon to our north and west, it should have no problem riding the height gradient and should mature into an MCS moving directly into high instability and more than favorable shear...supporting the threat for widespread damaging winds where it tracks..likely from NE PA into N NJ, SE NY, and the NYC Area.

Cant ask for a better run from the NAM. Has the best storms directly over NYC.

RAP is pretty similar as well.

it's interesting how the models have been underestimating the southward extent to morning convection

recently. After the models have digested this in their 12z runs, the PM threat has moved a little further

south each time.

Archived