Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
July 26, 2012 Severe Weather Potential

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dews in the low 70's are whats feeding a lot of the instability on the soundings, and yeah, tons of liquid potential here. If any cells decide to train, epic flash flooding possible.

Whoever ends getting hit with the best stuff will probably have near zero visibility during the peak of the storm for them.

I can't speak for everyone here, but a tornado is the last thing I want to see in this highly populated region. Damaging winds are probably the best you can get here without too much destruction.

Now SNY is different. If I see some hooks ahead of the line later, I'm headed north no matter what the circumstance.

Since SmokeEater is chasing outside today, can you announce estimated gate-to-gate shear velocities in knots for any supercell in this area with decent rotation? Would be appreciated. Thanks.

The directional shear might not be enough for tornadoes, but if we can get localized backing north or northwest of the city, where the surface winds locally turn to the south instead of southwest, that's where you have to watch out. This is where surface based helicity can locally be enhanced.

A widespread tornado event is unlikely given the primarily west of south surface winds.

well said dougie

Since SmokeEater is chasing outside today, can you announce estimated gate-to-gate shear velocities in knots for any supercell in this area with decent rotation? Would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll be at work until 5pm or so, but Ill try my best since I dont have access to my "fancy" software.

BTW-What thread is he in. Interested in where he may set up shop.

Thanks!

I still definitely think it's possible that there are a couple to a few tornado reports today since I do think we'll see some localized backing...models have advertised that. But I'd be surprised if we saw more than 3 or 4 reports.

This is going to do plenty of damage without the tor 70 to 90mph winds easily attainable

Another thing to note is that if (big IF) there happens to be a tornado on the ground, it really doesn't matter too much what EF strength it is.

An EF0-EF1 has the potential to be extremely dangerous around these parts. Have to remember that this isn't the Plains.

Take advantage of the plethora of dual pol data we have avaible these days.

I still think we get a tornado watch and a few warnings in the area, if nothing else as a precaution. People in this region don't really know what severe weather really is. I can't tell you how many of my friends have seen some straight line wind damage and thought that a tornado had gone through.

It is early yet, but both the 15Z and 16Z obs showed slightly backed winds in a region from Sussex County into Passaic County along with what appears to be a slight pressure trough extending down through Morris County toward Somerset County. (For whatever reason the graphic just updated and removed a bunch of the obs, but the features are still evident here).

sfcobsnj.gif

njwxnet-pressure.png

njwxnet-windsp.png

Another thing to note is that if (big IF) there happens to be a tornado on the ground, it really doesn't matter too much what EF strength it is.

An EF0-EF1 has the potential to be extremely dangerous around these parts. Have to remember that this isn't the Plains.

Take advantage of the plethora of dual pol data we have avaible these days.

But it sure has felt a bit like the Plains in NYC metro since 2006 with about 8-9 reported EF0-EF2 tornadoes in such a small radius. Even in the Plains, the return period of a tornado for any given location is several centuries.

But it sure has felt a bit like the Plains in NYC metro since 2006 with about 8-9 reported EF0-EF2 tornadoes in such a small radius. Even in the Plains, the return period of a tornado for any given location is several centuries.

The northeast has been under the gun quite a bit lately. Just look at the EF-2 that went through Springfiled, MA last year. I think we are beginning to see a pattern shift for whatever reason with the nastiest weather on a line from SE Texas NE through TN, KY, AL and then up into the Mid-Atlantic and northeast. I hope we never trully have a tornado outbreak up this way, but it doesn't seem all that far fetched anymore. I would think the marine influince is a major reason why severe weather is so rare up here.

Northern NJ, SE NY and SW CT look like a prime target for damaging winds tonight and isolated tornadoes. The time-frame looks like 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., happening earliest in areas like Sussex and Orange Counties.

Seeing some impressive data at the 00z time-frame...

This is one time I feel fortunate to live in NEPA. I barely even have to leave the house to chase today. :sizzle:

With the poor low-level shear I'm not expecting a big show though, more worried about losing power for days and days. Even with a generator that'd be a bummer.

The northeast has been under the gun quite a bit lately. Just look at the EF-2 that went through Springfiled, MA last year. I think we are beginning to see a pattern shift for whatever reason with the nastiest weather on a line from SE Texas NE through TN, KY, AL and then up into the Mid-Atlantic and northeast. I hope we never trully have a tornado outbreak up this way, but it doesn't seem all that far fetched anymore. I would think the marine influince is a major reason why severe weather is so rare up here.

We have seen multiple tornado warnings in and around NY metro the last 10-15 years. Defintiely more frequently then we had in a long time prior to that. Heck we had 3 or 4 in 2010 alone and actually got some touch downs.

Archived