Newest Member
    EWR757
End of July 2012 obs/discussion

Ian

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent cell near Damascus.

It looks like it has a rotating updraft.. there was a brief ping on srv. The surface conditions are not there for anything of note but I suppose the 500mb vort might be helping things try to turn.

I haven't looked in depth but a glance doesn't necessarily show much high end potential... tho with a trough around much of the week it seems we'd have some shots here and there.

Front Royal Canoe.

this section: http://www.frontroya...t_Royal_Map.pdf

You went from the canoe company location to the Criser boat landing, or from the low water bridge? From the bridge to the boat landing on Criser is pretty long trip by tube. I've canoed that route many times, and it could take 4 hours or more with leisurely rowing pace, especially when the river is low.

Amazingly, despite living there most of my life, and living close by my entire life, I've never tubed. Seeing the many turtles warming themselves on the rocks muted my desire to even attempt it. That and the rocks in the shallow areas. Aside from that, seems like it would be a nice way to spend a summer afternoon.

You went from the canoe company location to the Criser boat landing, or from the low water bridge? From the bridge to the boat landing on Criser is pretty long trip by tube. I've canoed that route many times, and it could take 4 hours or more with leisurely rowing pace, especially when the river is low.

Amazingly, despite living there most of my life, and living close by my entire life, I've never tubed. Seeing the many turtles warming themselves on the rocks muted my desire to even attempt it. That and the rocks in the shallow areas. Aside from that, seems like it would be a nice way to spend a summer afternoon.

I think they let us in around 37 and it goes back to the FRC location.. it's about 3 miles. Didn't have any watch on me but we left around noon and got back around 5:30 so we were probably on the water about 5 hours. We did stop ourselves a few times.. no real reason to get back early if we have to wait for the rest of the bus group. I've been there twice now, went last yr as well. Used to go tubing in CT every now and then when I lived there.

It's pretty fun.. do have to watch for rocks in spots. Not too much of the section is very deep... mostly right near the end where it's maybe 6-8 feet deep. Pretty much everyone just gets hammered and floats along.

It will be close with the winds coming out of the southeast... at least the 95s are gone for a bit.

I forgot we had an 89 in there too.. not that long a stretch at this pt.

Archived