• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Summer update: With June in the books and modestly cooler than normal, the regional string is broken

Typhoon Tip

LOL...did you think I was kidding? It's just like Appalacia

Hill folk come down to Greenfield for supplies so I see the entire spectrum. Western Ma. seems to have a per capita hippie ratio higher than N. California. My long hair but clean shaven face makes me look boy scout compared to some of the "West County Folks".

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends, there are places like Margaretville, NY and Woodstock, NY that have a nice artsy scene along with the gorgeous scenery. Route 30 through the Catskills is one of my favorite drives. I have also done some nice hikes on Sugarloaf Mountain and along the Delaware with views of the Catskills.

My family has a house off of Rt. 30 just east of Roxbury, over by Hubbels Corners.

once you go off of the main roads and into the backwoods, it starts to get a little "rustic" The economy has been run down for decades there.

It depends, there are places like Margaretville, NY and Woodstock, NY that have a nice artsy scene along with the gorgeous scenery. Route 30 through the Catskills is one of my favorite drives. I have also done some nice hikes on Sugarloaf Mountain and along the Delaware with views of the Catskills.

But the Berkshires are really a class act.

62/58, time to be lulled to sleep by the sound of a waterfall and the tranquil sounds of the forest at night. Meanwhile, Scooter will have a fitful night's sleep constantly being awoken by the sounds of sirens and gunshots.At least the bars on his windows should keep the home invaders at bay for another night.

62/58, time to be lulled to sleep by the sound of a waterfall and the tranquil sounds of the forest at night. Meanwhile, Scooter will have a fitful night's sleep constantly being awoken by the sounds of sirens and gunshots.At least the bars on his windows should keep the home invaders at bay for another night.

Does he have a metal cage around his A/C to keep people from stealing it?

You see that a lot in cities.

It's a very mild climate down there. Sure they get a freak snowstorm now and then but sustained Winter not so much. It doesn't make them bad people, just unfortunate.

Sure, it isn't sustained... but it's not like snow is some rare phenomenon down there either.

Woodstock is very affluent and very tree hugging left wing.... Like no other area in the Catskills.

The northeast Catskills such as Cairo-Round Top, Windham are still nice enough...didn't fall hard into poverty like the southern (former Borscht Belt) areas.

The western Catskills, such as Roxbury are just an extension of the rest of economically challenged Upstate NY.

But the Berkshires are really a class act.

11717995.jpg

Dorchester has waterfalls too...would you care for a drink?

52/52, the birds are now starting at about 4:35 am here. That's a full 20+ minutes later than just a few weeks ago. Tough sleeping weather as the temp stayed up in the low 50's overnight. Just oppressive.

I got a haircut last night and ended a few minutes past 8. I noticed for the first time the shortening of the day length. Long summer days are so wonderful and shortening fall days blow. If it weren't for snow at the end of the rainbow it would not be tolerable. Mornings definitely a tad darker also. The pining for short dark days is a bit sick actually. PM me and I'll find a good shrink in your area.

I got a haircut last night and ended a few minutes past 8. I noticed for the first time the shortening of the day length. Long summer days are so wonderful and shortening fall days blow. If it weren't for snow at the end of the rainbow it would not be tolerable. Mornings definitely a tad darker also. The pining for short dark days is a bit sick actually. PM me and I'll find a good shrink in your area.

I do like the early morning sun. Helps wake me up coming in before 5am.

Track the sunrise and sunsets and solar noon angle here... Boston is below 70 degrees for solar angle now. NYC still has a few days above 70 angle. The lucky Miami folks still have weeks above 80 angle. Those Londoners are at 60 angle already.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=43&month=7&year=2012&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

52/52, the birds are now starting at about 4:35 am here. That's a full 20+ minutes later than just a few weeks ago. Tough sleeping weather as the temp stayed up in the low 50's overnight. Just oppressive.

My son's HS football team does a camp in hinsdale in mid august. this is his first year. last night the coach had a parents meeting to help prepare. some of the things he said that stuck with me

- have the kids pack sweatshirts and sweatpants as last year it got into the 40's at night.

- the year before it was hot though , so have them bring fans

- oh and the coaches like to make ice runs for the boys. they enjoy the hour and half away from the boys

- this really struck me, they used to go to a place that had no electrcity, really helped the team bond sitting in the dark at night with no distractions

Archived