• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Summer update: With June in the books and modestly cooler than normal, the regional string is broken

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course not even a drip here. It's so dry now that some of the foliage on bushes is starting to dry up and fall off. Trees not yet...but probably see a lot of that in August if this keeps up.

Looks like a more organized area of rain/embedded t-storms heading out of the lower Hudson Valley into CT. Just a few light showers have passed over us here.

Time for the mid summer classic..The Allstar game. Enjoy

I looked at the forecast today and was thinking... man, this is perfect for those that like heat AND cool overnight temperatures.

I can deal with highs in the mid/upper 80s like BTV is pushing, as long as it gets down to near 50F overnight for comfy sleeping weather. There's a reason why no one around here has AC.... radiational cooling in elevated valleys FTW.

I'll take a few days of 86/51 and 89/51. Good ol' 35-40F diurnal ranges.

Ok, hope everyone gets out and has a blast today. Looks like a continued stratch of great weather with daily highs in the 70's to near 80 and overnight lows in the 40's and lower 50's. Couldn't be much sweeter unless it was snowing. Take advantage of the non-torch weather we are experiencing. The rest of the nation is roasting, those poor folks down in the MA, how they stand the high heat of Summer and the no snow Winters I'll never understand. Have a great one, heavy, heavy recreating incoming. GET AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER, GET OUTSIDE!!!!!

I don't know why you keep saying the MA always has snowless winters... it snows down there, too.

The drought is quickly destroying everything in its path.  There's no stopping it

My vegetable garden desperately needs rain, and fortunately a line of showers is moving SE from Harriman, NY towards NYC. I wonder how much will dry up with dewpoints only running in the 50s, but hopefully we can pick up a quick tenth or two here in Westchester. I've been too busy with work to water the last couple days, but tomorrow night I am getting the hose out since the garden hasn't been doused since Sunday. Usually my plants are fine being watered 1-2 times per week, but not this July.

Only 0.12" rainfall has occurred this month here in Southern Westchester.

My vegetable garden desperately needs rain, and fortunately a line of showers is moving SE from Harriman, NY towards NYC. I wonder how much will dry up with dewpoints only running in the 50s, but hopefully we can pick up a quick tenth or two here in Westchester. I've been too busy with work to water the last couple days, but tomorrow night I am getting the hose out since the garden hasn't been doused since Sunday. Usually my plants are fine being watered 1-2 times per week, but not this July.

Tomatoes and herbs are loving it, my squash and Zucchini not so much.

So Nate, they've invented these new things, I think they're called sprinklers. Check them out.

Tomatoes and herbs are loving it, my squash and Zucchini not so much.

My tomatoes are also doing well, I've got a Lemon Boy tomato almost ripe and several cherry tomatoes almost ready to harvest. Tomatoes and eggplants are absolutely thriving this summer, but my zucchini, radishes, and basil are looking weaker than normal. I have been working 10-12 hour days in NYC for my teaching fellowship so I don't have a lot of time to check things for moisture constantly. I was also away in the Poconos this past weekend so things got pretty dry. I watered a lot Sunday night and Monday afternoon, so it looks as if the garden has perked up a bit.

So Nate, they've invented these new things, I think they're called sprinklers. Check them out.

My garden is spread out so I usually have to use a hose and watering can. I also have a lot of container gardens because we don't have that much land in the suburbs. I wanted to do a garden at my family's vacation home in rural Pennsylvania where there's a lot of space, but there haven't been any job opportunities out there so I can't really live there for a full summer as I did when I was younger.

My tomatoes are also doing well, I've got a Lemon Boy tomato almost ripe and several cherry tomatoes almost ready to harvest. Tomatoes and eggplants are absolutely thriving this summer, but my zucchini, radishes, and basil are looking weaker than normal. I have been working 10-12 hour days in NYC for my teaching fellowship so I don't have a lot of time to check things for moisture constantly. I was also away in the Poconos this past weekend so things got pretty dry. I watered a lot Sunday night and Monday afternoon, so it looks as if the garden has perked up a bit.

My garden is spread out so I usually have to use a hose and watering can. I also have a lot of container gardens because we don't have that much land in the suburbs. I wanted to do a garden at my family's vacation home in rural Pennsylvania where there's a lot of space, but there haven't been any job opportunities out there so I can't really live there for a full summer as I did when I was younger.

what about running irrigation hose throughout the whole garden. Looks like regular hose but has a million little holes that spray water out. You could wind the hose through the container gardens. You shouldn't grow plants if you don't have time to take care of them. They have feelings you know.

Archived