• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Summer update: With June in the books and modestly cooler than normal, the regional string is broken

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where have we seen that before only to not have it happen?

Bermuda high looks like it wants to hold on strong thru end of month. No breaks for those looking for relief

I think there is a pretty straight-forward signal by the ensembles in the 11-15 day period...to bring a trough back to the eastern U.S....mean ridge shifting west...I guess you could say a similar situation to the current week. Of course a "cool down" these days means seasonable or slightly above average temps, so id expect something on the order of that. Not a Bermuda high/west atl ridge pattern by that time though.

Next week looks scorching right to Boston for a couple of days..what a trend with the positioning of that hudson bay low

You all can have the HHH weather. I absolutely despise it. Granted I live on the coast, but our highest temp here this year so far was a balmy 89.4°F back on June 20th. Don't get too many 90°F days here. Last summer, we hit 94°F which was the only >90°F of the summer. That was also the first >90°F day in 3 years at my location.

You all can have the HHH weather. I absolutely despise it. Granted I live on the coast, but our highest temp here this year so far was a balmy 89.4°F back on June 20th. Don't get too many 90°F days here. Last summer, we hit 94°F which was the only >90°F of the summer. That was also the first >90°F day in 3 years at my location.

John--I was just back in Bath last week for the 4th of July race. Good to be back in my old stomping grounds (though a dud of a day at Popham on the 5th).

Nice to have the swamp azz retrun today. Dews already into the low 60's and that's only the beginning..Ahh summer..no coolness, no chilly nights with windows closed and extra blankets..no perfect chamber of commerce days...just perfect hot, sticky, sultry days and nights for all the enjoy

Yet another Chamber day today. Back to the water, ahhh.

The last few pages of this thread are full of pure win.

Back and forth shots from the "highlander" who needs to walk cautiously to avoid the mountain men rapists vs "city dwellers" that have to tip toe around the used needles.

....And then, the high dew and high temps banter, with Kevin looking forward to hanging out in the air conditioning while the HHH surrounds him.

It's good I am not hibernating this summer from the site so I can experience all of this.

John--I was just back in Bath last week for the 4th of July race. Good to be back in my old stomping grounds (though a dud of a day at Popham on the 5th).

Would have been nice to meet up and tip back a few, Mike. We returned home from our vacation on the 8th. Went to Cutler Harbor and Campobello Island for a few days. Enjoyed the Puffins and Razor Bills, and cool evenings on the waterfront. Classic Bold Coast vacation!

Yeah but many were talking about highs in the 70's this week. Remember those Euro runs? Same thing for days 12-15 upcoming

3 straight mornings into the 40s (lowest 44F), and an outside chance at a 4th tonight but probably 50-52F. A good number of 30s in the usual colder spots, too. Yes its NNE but those mins are still -10 to -13 from normal.

Also saw some dews in the 30s during the day... that's decently rare for July.

The last few pages of this thread are full of pure win.

Back and forth shots from the "highlander" who needs to walk cautiously to avoid the mountain men rapists vs "city dwellers" that have to tip toe around the used needles.

....And then, the high dew and high temps banter, with Kevin looking forward to hanging out in the air conditioning while the HHH surrounds him.

It's good I am not hibernating this summer from the site so I can experience all of this.

:lol: I love your posts man... such a good way to sum it all up.

And the guy that wants the HHH and high heat just cranks up his AC is quite ironic.

Low dews, humidity and nice and cool this morning atop Blue Hill. You can see for miles and miles and miles.

blue-hill.jpg

Now that, is an incredible picture, well done.

79/69

humidity feels great on my achy bones, looks like a 3 shirt day today, make this the best day you have ever had friends!!

Would have been nice to meet up and tip back a few, Mike. We returned home from our vacation on the 8th. Went to Cutler Harbor and Campobello Island for a few days. Enjoyed the Puffins and Razor Bills, and cool evenings on the waterfront. Classic Bold Coast vacation!

Not sure if that should be Bold Coast or Cold Coast. :)

3 straight mornings into the 40s (lowest 44F), and an outside chance at a 4th tonight but probably 50-52F. A good number of 30s in the usual colder spots, too. Yes its NNE but those mins are still -10 to -13 from normal.

Also saw some dews in the 30s during the day... that's decently rare for July.

Had about 47 this morning, after 44/43 on M/T. Each of my 15 (14.3, actually) Julys here have provided days like that. My monthly lows have ranged from 38 to 46, median 42, so this year fits right in there. Hoping it's NOT a repeat of 1988. We had upper 40s mornings (in Gardiner) for July 1-3, then on the 4th dews hopped into the 60s and didn't come back down until after 8/15, approaching 80 at times. (PWM's all time high TD, 77, occurred early that August.)

Did you get a chance to explore the trails on the State's Cutler Unit? I've only been on a small part of the trails, but saw much of that country on work-related bushwhack hikes 20 yr ago - that's some tough terrain and vegetation to push thru. Utterly spectacular on a bluebird summer day; can't really imagine how much moreso during a strong fall/winter storm.

Low dews, humidity and nice and cool this morning atop Blue Hill. You can see for miles and miles and miles.

blue-hill.jpg

Nice shot, John. We came close to moving to that area when I was in junior high (back in the 70's). My Dad had been offered the job of Dean at Maine Maritime, so we were looking there, Castine, and a couple other towns. Beautiful area.

Now that, is an incredible picture, well done.

79/69

humidity feels great on my achy bones, looks like a 3 shirt day today, make this the best day you have ever had friends!!

Two shirt day here--I figure I'll change after my lunchtime run. Comfy temps and low humidity FTLRW (for the lunchtime run win).

Is that for the mean temp? In looking at my own data my max reaches it's peak on the 22nd and the min (& mean) on the 23rd. It's only by a couple of thousands but that's the way the curve wound up.

Based on the median date of the highest daily normal mean temp from the 1981-2010 normals. Technically the hottest day is a series of days, but using the median date accounts for the sinusoidal nature of the annual variation, as slight as that may be between the hottest days when you're at the top of the curve.

Not sure if that should be Bold Coast or Cold Coast. :)

Official name is Bold Coast, but yeah, cold works too.

Definite winner with that one. Love it.

76/63

Thank you!

Had about 47 this morning, after 44/43 on M/T. Each of my 15 (14.3, actually) Julys here have provided days like that. My monthly lows have ranged from 38 to 46, median 42, so this year fits right in there. Hoping it's NOT a repeat of 1988. We had upper 40s mornings (in Gardiner) for July 1-3, then on the 4th dews hopped into the 60s and didn't come back down until after 8/15, approaching 80 at times. (PWM's all time high TD, 77, occurred early that August.)

Did you get a chance to explore the trails on the State's Cutler Unit? I've only been on a small part of the trails, but saw much of that country on work-related bushwhack hikes 20 yr ago - that's some tough terrain and vegetation to push thru. Utterly spectacular on a bluebird summer day; can't really imagine how much moreso during a strong fall/winter storm.

Yes we did. We did most of the Cutler Coast Loop Trail which is a Maine Public Reserve Land that is off Rte. 191 about 4 miles north of the town of Cutler. Awesome views from the headlands.

Nice shot, John. We came close to moving to that area when I was in junior high (back in the 70's). My Dad had been offered the job of Dean at Maine Maritime, so we were looking there, Castine, and a couple other towns. Beautiful area.

Two shirt day here--I figure I'll change after my lunchtime run. Comfy temps and low humidity FTLRW (for the lunchtime run win).

I would love to live on that peninsula. My wife and I were kicking around the idea that once I finish my BSN intership, I may look for work at one of the local hospitals in the area, and if successful, move to the area. Castine is where I proposed to my wife 10 years ago this coming October.

I would love to live on that peninsula. My wife and I were kicking around the idea that once I finish my BSN intership, I may look for work at one of the local hospitals in the area, and if successful, move to the area. Castine is where I proposed to my wife 10 years ago this coming October.

Castine is probably about as pretty a New England town as one can find. About as expensive, too. :)

I used to crew on one of the windjammers out of Rockland back in the 90s. Used to see Blue Hill all the time (Isle au Haut & Camden Hills the other visible highlands), except in the fog, that is, lol. We would anchor for the night in Smith Cove across the Bagaduce from Castine quite a bit. Always liked going to Castine as it was one of the few spots we'd go where a fellow could get a little shore-leave and go have a few cold ones. :drunk:

I just can not get over how absolutely beautiful it has been. BVE, best vacation ever. This week in Westerly, Weekapaug of week two. Lunch at Moms. Then back to the ocean. Great news that HHH returns when I am back to work as I can hide like the other HHH lovers in the AC but until then....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2_ud_UH7JU

I just can not get over how absolutely beautiful it has been. BVE, best vacation ever. This week in Westerly, Weekapaug of week two. Lunch at Moms. Then back to the ocean. Great news that HHH returns when I am back to work as I can hide like the other HHH lovers in the AC but until then....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2_ud_UH7JU

Glad it's been such a good time. I though of you as Idrove by Sunday River last week. A couple more months and you'll be back up there. It was nice to see a great looking cabin had been built on the land we had bought (and subsequently sold) up there in Bethel. That had been our intent. Instead, we have a second-grader. :)

Glad it's been such a good time. I though of you as Idrove by Sunday River last week. A couple more months and you'll be back up there. It was nice to see a great looking cabin had been built on the land we had bought (and subsequently sold) up there in Bethel. That had been our intent. Instead, we have a second-grader. :)

Yea sure has been awesome. Many of my life plans were changed by graders, but would not change a thing. Now that they are all adults it's my time again. I am hoping that I spend lots of days at SR again!

Archived