• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Summer update: With June in the books and modestly cooler than normal, the regional string is broken

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a very mild climate down there. Sure they get a freak snowstorm now and then but sustained Winter not so much. It doesn't make them bad people, just unfortunate.

To be fair, I'd say most of SNE does not experience sustained winter the way I'm sure you define it. For example, during meteorological winter, most of SNE has high temps 40+ 2/3rd of the season. Hardly what I would call sustained cold. Same with snow and snow depth. A large chunk of SNE and its population sees brown ground more days than not, and averages under four feet of snow. There are places in the mid-Atlantic, albeit elevated interior places, that experience better winters on average than a lot of us in SNE.

My vegetable garden desperately needs rain, and fortunately a line of showers is moving SE from Harriman, NY towards NYC. Only 0.12" rainfall has occurred this month here in Southern Westchester.

Possibly Fairfield County, upper Westchester and maybe a few sprinkles grazing your locale, but not NYC.

post-1336-0-63749600-1341966953_thumb.gi

To be fair, I'd say most of SNE does not experience sustained winter the way I'm sure you define it. For example, during meteorological winter, most of SNE has high temps 40+ 2/3rd of the season. Hardly what I would call sustained cold. Same with snow and snow depth. A large chunk of SNE and its population sees brown ground more days than not, and averages under four feet of snow. There are places in the mid-Atlantic, albeit elevated interior places, that experience better winters on average than a lot of us in SNE.

You're all in the same wretched boat. My advice is move.

It's time to "fire up" the brush fire thread it appears..The drought and torch many of us feared this summer is upon us. SNE is burning

Tuesday New England brush fires: Groton VT (17 acres); Winchendon, Springfield, Palmer MA; Tiverton RI

fb1_normal.jpg

Monday New England brush fires: Bernardston, Tyringham (20 acres), Southwick & Sandwich MA

fb1_normal.jpg

Brush fire incidents picking up across the Northeast - New England, in particular, 9 in the last two days

what about running irrigation hose throughout the whole garden. Looks like regular hose but has a million little holes that spray water out. You could wind the hose through the container gardens. You shouldn't grow plants if you don't have time to take care of them. They have feelings you know.

This might be a workable idea, I hadn't really considered it but I know my mom does it for her flower gardens at our house in Pennsylvania with success. I do take care of my garden pretty carefully, and I always have some vegetables (as much as you can when you only have .14 acres of property, and lots of it is rocky or covered by the house or garage...I have tried everything from plastic containers to window boxes to upside down planters to clear up space.) As much as I like to improve the garden, I am busier this summer as previous years I was working part-time as a freelance journalist and then 10-15 hours a week for a pizza joint. This summer I am teaching in NYC summer schools, taking Masters courses in special education, and attending workshops about differentiating instruction for bilingual students/English language learners. Just a lot on my plate, and I still deliver for pizzerias some since the training pay is pretty low.

It's all dependent on elevation in any of these areas...places like Garrett County MD, Yancey County NC, etc get a lot more snow than New London County CT. Obviously we have the advantage of latitude providing colder 850s and more time for storms to develop in the favored cyclogenesis zone...but winter is not a protracted affair in any of the East unless you live at elevation or are in NNE. I studied at Middlebury College in the Champlain Valley, and the school averaged less snow per year (about 65") than our house in the Poconos (a little over 70" average).

Possibly Fairfield County, upper Westchester and maybe a few sprinkles grazing your locale, but not NYC.

The line has weakened a little but I still see showers making it to Westchester. There's some heavy echoes near West Milford moving towards the Tappan Zee/287 corridor.

The Berks are high class compared to the Catskills, when you go there, you feel like you are in the movie Deliverance.

It depends, there are places like Margaretville, NY and Woodstock, NY that have a nice artsy scene along with the gorgeous scenery. Route 30 through the Catskills is one of my favorite drives. I have also done some nice hikes on Sugarloaf Mountain and along the Delaware with views of the Catskills.

Archived