wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
June 28-July 8th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like MCS #2 is starting up in Iowa with extreme instability in front of it too. Looks like this one will follow right behind the one from earlier today too, though maybe a touch south of the path of the first one.

I would favor the I88/I80 corridor. Rapid destabilization has occurred in the wake of the morning MCS...High CAPE/Theta-E environment.

Marengo getting smoked right now, nicely developing RIJ evident now.

Yeah, the area along I-380 from Cedar Rapids to Iowa City going to really be under the gun shortly. I would hate to be in a semi with the cross winds this will have as it hits I-380.

Yeah, the area along I-380 from Cedar Rapids to Iowa City going to really be under the gun shortly. I would hate to be in a semi with the cross winds this will have as it hits I-380.

80 mph winds from a spotter south of Ladora. At least the core of the wind looks like it will pass between IOW and CID.

80 mph winds from a spotter south of Ladora. At least the core of the wind looks like it will pass between IOW and CID.

Of course CID the ASOS sits very close to Swisher, which is where the core of the winds look to be headed. So there may be a measured gust shortly.

The more data I'm looking at, particularly those data which are showing the impressive destabilization across northern Illinois, I'm beginning to favour more of an I-80 special. The US-30 corridor through northwest and north-central Illinois might see some action, too. Strikingly to me, mid-level lapse rates are as impressive as they are just ahead of the now-Appalachia-centred derecho, especially just to the south and west of the core of the Chicago metro. Could be an interesting night, especially just to my south.

Archived