wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
June 28-July 8th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you can see a nice outflow boundary on radar from around Tipton down to west of Muscatine. Been keeping an eye on that line for new updraft development but none so far.

New robust updrafts east of Tipton now on the south side of the line. Also as Tony pointed out some storms quickly taking off down by Mt. Pleasant. Things taking shape very quickly.

Saw the Iowa MCS coming a mile away...potent fort with that thing from the get go. Clearly atmosphere recovery was not an issue and general trajectory looks more or less the same as the previous...maybe a hair south. Should get a boost during the overnight when the llj kicks in as well.

EDIT: this is my last totally free friday of the night...so i'll be drinking beers, listening to tunes and posting all night, so post away guys

Saw the Iowa MCS coming a mile away...potent fort with that thing from the get go. Clearly atmosphere recovery was not an issue and general trajectory looks more or less the same as the previous...maybe a hair south. Should get a boost during the overnight when the llj kicks in as well.

Could be one of those rare times when the same areas get hit by two solid MCS's within 24 hours

Could be one of those rare times when the same areas get hit by two solid MCS's within 24 hours

Sure looks that way...it actually works out like this quite a lot in this type of pattern...especially when the wave timing is just right to allow the convectively disturbed front to return back to it's original location and you have enough time for things to recover.

You think it's gonna re organize?

The cell near Clinton is right on the leading edge of the gust front and appears to be propagating forward. Keep waiting for that thing to ramp back up and become severe again but so far it hasn't happened. Morrison over towards Dixon (basically all along I-88) could be in for some severe if it can get a little better organized. Really don't see any reason why it couldn't.

The cell near Clinton is right on the leading edge of the gust front and appears to be propagating forward. Keep waiting for that thing to ramp back up and become severe again but so far it hasn't happened. Morrison over towards Dixon (basically all along I-88) could be in for some severe if it can get a little better organized. Really don't see any reason why it couldn't.

I'm sitting in Rock Falls right now

Believe me guys, this thing is not weakening. Looks incredible to the west right now. Nice striations. Wish I would have gone outside town and got a time lapse.

very much believe you...parameters look good and it's looking better on radar. Probably just growing pains. :guitar:

Lost power for a while, despite the fact that this storm was oddly tame. The meat of the storm on radar moved right over my house, but all we got was a tiny bit of tiny hail at the beginning with some gusts to 40-50 mph. I kept waiting for the severe 70-80 mph wind gusts, but they never came. There was also not much thunder/lightning. Did get a nice 0.50+" rain out of it. Every little bit counts this year.

Archived